The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was testing out the Elise at higher speed, and I suddenly heard a loud vibration under the front of the car. It stopped when I slowed down. I immediately knew it was the aftermarket splitter that was installed by the previous owner.

I pulled over and took a look. Sure enough, the splitter had ripped itself off the left side of the clam. I felt pretty ridiculous driving back all the way home at 35 mph to keep it from fluttering in the wind.

When I got back and removed it, I took a closer look at how it was installed. There were no washers whatsoever used under the nuts on the clam side of the attach points. @GregsRaceParts, please tell me this isn't how the splitter is intended to be installed.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Greg’s Race Parts supplies a bolt kit for the splitter. It comes with very large washers for the very reason you (unfortunately) experienced. Sorry to hear this happened.

Reactions: Flopsy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg’s Race Parts supplies a bolt kit for the splitter. It comes with very large washers for the very reason you (unfortunately) experienced. Sorry to hear this happened.
I figured this was the case. There were large washers used on the underside. I don't know why the choice was made to discard them rather than use them on the top as well.

·
Registered
Lotus Exige S2 NA
16 Posts
Sorry for you... BUT

While such a front splitter really looks good, its a point that makes driving really impractical with an Elise... take this "chance" and try driving without splitter.
The difference is not just noticeable....

·
Administrator
5,108 Posts
Same happened to me with my ARP splitter when I first installed it and I hit 60. I went back and put a set of forward and rearward bolts with fender washers. I can stand on it now. No more flapping and I mounted so that it was parallel to the ground while driving and then when brakes are hit hard it is at downward angle giving some downforce. The front end had been feeling a little light coming in hot at the end of the straight at NCCAR. Combined with the difflow I get the most downforce at track speed I can get without a wing.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Sorry for you... BUT

While such a front splitter really looks good, its a point that makes driving really impractical with an Elise... take this "chance" and try driving without splitter.
The difference is not just noticeable....
Then what force caused the splitter to get pulled down hard enough to break the fiberglass? I intentionally used the words "down" and "force" ;)

·
Registered
Lotus Exige S2 NA
16 Posts
Then what force caused the splitter to get pulled down hard enough to break the fiberglass? I intentionally used the words "down" and "force" ;)
Of course it makes down force. What I meant is nothing aerodynamic, I only speak of pumps, ramps and other stuff other obstacles on the street
If you need downforce for race track use or just for personal preference this makes sense!
I started with an Exige which has be default a splitter and mine had an more advanced own.
I still have my exige but now I enjoy also driving the Elise without splitter as I gain so much pleasure just to drive without thinking all the time where the next obstacle could be...

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Of course it makes down force. What I meant is nothing aerodynamic, I only speak of pumps, ramps and other stuff other obstacles on the street
If you need downforce for race track use or just for personal preference this makes sense!
I started with an Exige which has be default a splitter and mine had an more advanced own.
I still have my exige but now I enjoy also driving the Elise without splitter as I gain so much pleasure just to drive without thinking all the time where the next obstacle could be...
Fair enough. But I think it is clear OP wants a splitter, just better mounting. The advice to ditch it doesn't really apply here.

For me, I had a cheap splitter on my Elise and will have a similarly inexpensive splitter on my Exige front clam (conversion) because I actually was able to worry less with having it. I would much rather scrape an easily replaceable part than a front clam. At the stock ride height, it never scraped on speed bumps and very rarely on driveway or parking garage entrances. My bumpstops were worn down though, and I found I could actually plant the splitter into the pavement under braking at 100+ mph (on track). That weekend, I ended up eating my entire splitter and would've done serious damage to my clam without it (what, you expect me to just not hit the brakes as hard? haha). Look right there at the license plate plinth and you can see that I wasn't just scraping because the splitter stuck out - it was nearly flush by the end of the second day.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It is necessary to understand the mind of an Owner....and there are different minds.
One may have installed the splitter because it seemed like a 'fast thing' that a fast car should have.....even though the owner was never going to drive it all that fast with the exception of doing 90 for a brief moment on an Interstate rarely. One may have installed it because it's yet one of those 'fast things' too but all the owner really ended up doing is talking a lot to others about how he had installed a splitter.......you know the kind.....you see and of course hear them......at car shows everywhere.
One may have installed it because they intended to track the car and figured it would be safer with the added grip but they never got to the track......so they never realized their poor instillation.
One may have been any one of the above but had someone else at a shop installed it for them.....the installer got it to stay on but never realized what a poor job they'd done.
It's not impossible someone did it on purpose without the washers because it would weigh less that way.
Someone else merely ran out of washers.
About as many other scenarios exist as people on the planet.

When buying a used car there are many things to check out.....to the point of disassembling stuff too.....especially if the car's going out on track. Sorry to hear of the mishap.

·
Registered
Lotus Exige S2 NA
16 Posts
I didn't even mean he should ditch it immediately. Just meant, maybe it will take a while before he is able to repair. In the meanwhile a few test rides without could show that surpricing possitive point not having a front splitter. I wanted to state out this because I personally was so hot having an exige, with its front splitter and other optical gimmicks... In the end my surpricing was that I elimniated some of these optical (previous) must haves to get some more practicality. Nevertheless I was happier than before.

His intention wasn't visible for me, just thought: testing this doesn't hurt and sometimes a different perspective brings some fresh air ;-) maybe not immediately maybe 2 years later...

have a nice ride :cool:

Fair enough. But I think it is clear OP wants a splitter, just better mounting. The advice to ditch it doesn't really apply here.

For me, I had a cheap splitter on my Elise and will have a similarly inexpensive splitter on my Exige front clam (conversion) because I actually was able to worry less with having it. I would much rather scrape an easily replaceable part than a front clam. At the stock ride height, it never scraped on speed bumps and very rarely on driveway or parking garage entrances. My bumpstops were worn down though, and I found I could actually plant the splitter into the pavement under braking at 100+ mph (on track). That weekend, I ended up eating my entire splitter and would've done serious damage to my clam without it (what, you expect me to just not hit the brakes as hard? haha). Look right there at the license plate plinth and you can see that I wasn't just scraping because the splitter stuck out - it was nearly flush by the end of the second day.

View attachment 1284045

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
It is necessary to understand the mind of an Owner....and there are different minds.
One may have installed the splitter because it seemed like a 'fast thing' that a fast car should have.....even though the owner was never going to drive it all that fast with the exception of doing 90 for a brief moment on an Interstate rarely. One may have installed it because it's yet one of those 'fast things' too but all the owner really ended up doing is talking a lot to others about how he had installed a splitter.......you know the kind.....you see and of course hear them......at car shows everywhere.
One may have installed it because they intended to track the car and figured it would be safer with the added grip but they never got to the track......so they never realized their poor instillation.
One may have been any one of the above but had someone else at a shop installed it for them.....the installer got it to stay on but never realized what a poor job they'd done.
It's not impossible someone did it on purpose without the washers because it would weigh less that way.
Someone else merely ran out of washers.
About as many other scenarios exist as people on the planet.

When buying a used car there are many things to check out.....to the point of disassembling stuff too.....especially if the car's going out on track. Sorry to hear of the mishap.
There are also those who install it as it's a relatively cheap chin guard. Let an easily replaceable and affordable splitter take the beating rather than glass/paint work on the chin of the actual clam.

Reactions: Noelsmith

·
Registered
2005 ForcedFed Lotus Elise
119 Posts
Here's my take while we're on splitters and my disregard for owner's priorities. I often find they ruin the front lines of the car/bumper with its unique curves and angles, makes the car too low up front to scrape on everything. I just bought the chin guards from Sir Lotus to protect in case I bottom out.

My 2 cents. As other have said, to each their own! It's your life. Do what makes you happy. We all win.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know the previous owner's motive for installing the splitter. My best guess is that he was trying to cover up a little damage at the base of the front clam and additionally providing a bit of a warning/buffer to prevent further damage.

Why he left off the washers is anybody's guess. I'm betting he simply forgot, lost the washers, or for some reason didn't imagine the interior side needed them, and left them off due to weight.

I'm going to leave the splitter off for now. To reinstall it would require repairing the damage to the clam, and preferably to the splitter itself, as a bit got shaved off while it was whacking itself against the pavement. I could do the repair, but I'm fine without the splitter. I'll probably get that damage fixed the first time I pull the front clam to do radiator/turn signals/etc.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
994 Posts
You could just redrill new holes since your clam and splitter are now both damaged and reinstall to prevent any further clam damage as you drive.

·
Administrator
5,108 Posts
You can also before reinstalling feather out each of the holes and take csm and epoxy to fill or even long kitty hair do one side place wax paper over it and lay it down on flat surface and do the same on other side. When cured sand and either paint or leave as is. Nobody will see.

Reactions: goelise
1 - 20 of 26 Posts