The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had someone apply Zaino to our car and now EVERYTHING sticks to it. Every ( and I do mean EVERY) little piece of dirt, small bugs, dust, EVERYTHING sticks to it. Its just been sitting in the garage and the driveway for a day and when you run your hand over it it feels like sandpaper with all the debris that is "stuck" to it it. It's insane. Also my hand feels oily after toucing the car. There are literally small gnat like bugs that landed on the car that are now stuck to it.

Its fairly NASTY. Anyone know how to fix this problem? Do I need to wash it all off with a detergent? Or can I avoid taking ALL the zaino off and still get rid of all this nasty excess.

I called the zaino tech line during normal business hours...but got an answering maching asking me to call back during normal business hours. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Wow Jenn,
Don't know how they applied it, sounds like they must have used a paint brush or trowel.

Supposed to be VERY thin coats. Zaino recommends use of Dawn dishwashing liquid to strip the wax off, perhaps Vantage can chime in here, he's our resident guru.
Chris

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well WE washed the car in dawn diswashing detergent. Then the young man came over to apply the wax. We have a zaino "kit". First number 5 was applied which is supposed to "haze", then number 2 was to be applied.

Now the car feels oily to the touch. There is white residue around ALL the starsheild areas making it apparent where the starsheild is (ugly).

Every tiny bit of dust, bugs, dirt, hair, EVERYTHING in the air is sticking to it. It's awful.

It's very slick, but also kind of oily at the same time.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Sounds like a bad application OFL. I've never had problems with Zaino. When applied correctly, you can't get a dry towel to stay put on any curved surface of the car it's so slick! If you want to take all the Zaino off and start over, use Dawn to get it off and then re-apply the wax of your choice. If I were you though, I would go back to whoever did the application and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wiped the car with my right hand and came inside to type this..and now my hand on the mouse feels like I've been eating potato chips.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Typically Zaino claims that dust is not attracted to its surface, but I find that most products that feel slick also attract dust and dirt like crazy. The good news is that it also washes off relatively easily. In fact, if you wash weekly, you don't have to use a very strong mix of shampoo.

So I would try simply washing the car with a product meant for paint (not dawn) and evaluating. Not sure how well your helper removed the product, but it doesn't sound like he applied it very well at all considering he got it in all the crevices where the starshield ends.

Did you use ZFX or Z1 with Z5?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have a kit. Z5 went on first, then Z2. Nothing else.

I just took a look at the Z2 bottle. Its some sort of pink stuff. The bottle is 8 ounces. Looks like we have 3/4 bottle left.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
We have a kit. Z5 went on first, then Z2. Nothing else.
Not sure what "we have a kit" means. I presume it means that you bought the starter package.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZKIT-1

However, if ZFX was not mixed into your Z5, then I'm not sure how well it was able to stick to the paint. [email protected] Reports has tried it actually. Take a look at the directions on the website and you'll see what I mean. After your wash, wipe the car down with the quick detailer and see if that helps. Not sure it will. Towels used might be a factor as well. I suspect a lot of it was just dirt blown around in the air while it was being worked on. I've let a car sit in my garage for 2 weeks and haven't had that much dirt on it. Just depends on your garage and area you live in.

Edit: If your helper used 2 oz. for one coat, then he used probably 6X what was necessary.

- J

PS: You are scratching your paint every time you wipe your finger on the surface. :p

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took my finger and drug it about 3 inches along the car and got this.... the car was washed and zaino'd yesterday and has only been sitting in the garage overnight. It picked up this much dirt ALL over the car just from sitting overnight.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vantage, something was mixed with the Z5 in one of those little clear vials, so Im 99% sure we have the ZFX too.

Dunno, I think maybe he just used way too much product.

I just dont know if we need to wash it and wipe it down or try and take all the zaino off with a dawn detergent washing.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I doubt dawn is going to do much in the order of removing Zaino. Your helper definitely used too much and perhaps there is still residue all of the car. Sometimes it's easy to miss some spots unless you are out in the sun with a microfiber towel.

If the wash and Z6 wipedown does not help at all, and you want to remove Zaino, find some alcohol and wipe the car down once again. However, I don't think you'll need to do this at all. This could have happened had you used one of many other products. Don't sweat it. Just keep in mind that dust attration is going to go up compared to bare paint. Most waxes will have this result. Zaino just attracts a bit more than the average.

But then again, most of it washes off with a stream of water before you even get a chance to use your mitt and soap.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Dawn is what Zaino used to recommend to remove other products (theirs too if necessary) in preparation for treating the the car with Zaino.

Greg

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Dawn won't remove zaino.

the most important aspect of waxing a car comes BEFORE the wax goes on.

It's all about surface preparation.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm totally baffled! I last Zaino'd my G35 on Mother's Day and after a wash it's still slick enough to slide a detailing towel from the windshield down the hood to the floor.

Nothing sticks to this stuff -- I rinse break dust off with a hose.

While the other cars need clay-bar a couple times a year, this one is still smooth as glass -- feels like nothing is embedded, even with the 'plastic glove' test.

In short, I'm having a 100% opposite experience here, so something isn't right.

I used Z-5 and Z-2 (mostly Z-2) just like you did, with the ZFX accelerator. The Z-5 was a bear to get polished, but the Z-2 isn't that hard.

If you say you have 3/4 of the Z2 bottle left, then you undoubtedly used too much. For a car the size of an Elise, you should be using a fraction of an once.. you could do several applications before even noticing less in the bottle. :) Seriously, you can probable do the entire car with 1/4 oz.

The easiest thing for removing excess Zaino is their own Z6 spray.. it softens it up just enough to buff of easily. When Zaino (excess) is dry, it can be really tough stuff. Use lots of Z6 and curse them for pricing it so high. (I suspect Meguiars Detailing Spray is similar, but I'm not going to find out.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Something is obviously not correct. Could be:
not enough ZFX in the mix
not enough time between application and removal
too much applied -- 3 coats should be EASY with about 1/3 of one of the little mixing bottles.

You removed one coat before applying subsequent coats, right?
Z6 (gloss enhancer) between coats?
You shouldn't have needed Z-5 at all (scratch and swirl remover).

Obviously, the solution is to bring your Elise down to me and I'll make her all shiny and non-greasy again! :D

In all seriousness, I would guess that the Z2 polish was either not mixed with ZFX properly (or at all), and applied far to thickly. Then, it was not allowed to cure completely before 'removal'. Without sufficient ZFX and in a cool temperature, it can take a while for Z2 to haze.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Z5 does not remove minor swirl marks, in fact it does almost nothing to fill them in as the description suggests. However, I find that Z5 can be used to darken the paint or add a bit more depth than Z2 is able to, and the difference is very subtle. In any case, for a black car, I have no problem only using Z5. Might do the same if I had graphite, aubergine, nightfall blue, etc.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts