The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had lots of cars. Clean record. I have had 11 Ferrari's and have a Ferrari 328 right now with Hagerty.

I (was) very interested in a Lotus Talk forum members silver 2006 Exige that is on Ebay and the LT for sale section.

I always insure a car as soon as i wire the funds. Since I had intended to make an cash offer this morning on the car, I called Hagerty yesterday to get an insurance quote.

Hagerty refused to insure the Exige based on the fact I drive a paid for 2006 Ford f150 with full coverage as a daily driver.

Let me explain that further: Hagerty says that the daily driver "normal" vehicle must be LESS THAN 5 years old. Even though they will not be the ones insuring the daily driver.

This makes NO SENSE to me and they said its a firm policy of One Beacon, the company that owns Hagerty, Grundy and a few others.

I will look around for insurance posts / threads when I have time, but I wanted to share this as I am confused why an insurance company would care what you drive as a daily with another insurance company.

I would appreciate any insurance recommendations. Hagerty overall has been a great company.

I had a $40,000 claim with them a few years ago when my black 1987 Ferrari 328 was totaled by an idiot in a Dodge Ram backing up on top of the car while at a red light. There was an issue with Hagerty and Co-Part not going through the GA DMV and getting a salvage title on the car. They sold the car with my name on it clean and clear, after a Total Loss / frame damage claim had been paid on the car. Lawyers, the State of GA Insurance Commissioners office and Attorney General got involved. Co-Part seemed to be more at fault for screwing up the paper work. But I never did hear back on the case.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,991 Posts
I tried them too, but like you my daily driver is older than 5 years older so they declined me... It is a ridiculous policy to me! I suspect they only want to insure the wealthy people who can afford a new car every year or two... I bet they will start hurting from it as the average age of cars in America keeps getting older... Oh well screw them!

I use Geico. They were cheap and asked no questions!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I had the exact same issue... My insurance company here is basically a middle man... it is my agent's job to find me the cheapest (but still good!) insurance on my vehicles. When I was looking at a Lotus, I knew that I would not be able to afford another vehicle that was less than 5 years old. PS, Hagerty quoted me ~$190/mo to insure the 2006 Exige I ended up getting (24 years old at the time).

My insurance agent came back to me with a quote from Continental Western Group. They had some similar requirements as Hagerty (i.e. have a daily driver, have a garage of some sort, mileage cap). CWG not only had zero age/mileage requirements on your daily driver (my DD is a 1994 Geo Prizm with ~160k miles), but they also only cost me about $85/mo (less than half of what Hagerty quoted!). I get all the same perks (agreed upon value insurance) that I would through Hagerty. The ONLY downside is their mileage cap is only 2500 miles per year (give or take) ... but that still isn't bad as long as you're not going on long trips.

I haven't had any claims (fortunately) where I've had to deal with their process, but so far I've been very happy with what I've gotten, and they have fewer restrictions and are FAR cheaper than Hagerty.

Hope this helps :)
http://www.cwgcollectorcar.com/

·
Registered
945 Posts
I got bitten by the same thing.

I think the Hagerty assumption is that if your DD is more than 5 years old, it's just a decoy or winter beater and you're *really* driving your "collectable" car every day.

I ended up using Geico. We'll see what happens if I ever need to make a claim, but for now, they're cheaper than the collector companies even for the same level of coverage and ask far fewer questions.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
They wouldn't insure my 2006 Exige as well. I do have a perfect record and 2 cars under 3 years old. I use Wawanessa for all my auto insurance and it is very affordable for about 10 cars most of which have full coverage. And I don't have stupid mileage or use limitations on the cars!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Funny I called yesterday to get a quote because I'm in the market for an Evora and got the same story. Luckily, I have a 2012 Fiat Sport, my 2007 Tundra would not cut it. The rates are pretty darn good

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't know if you have Costco in Georgia but if you are a member get a quote from Ameriprise. I guess you could just get a quote from them regardless but the Costco membership may get better rates. I wonder if this is a new policy with hagerty because I have a 68 camaro insured through them and my daily driver is an 06 m3. Anyway I have all my cars except the camaro insured through Ameriprise. I had a 94 nsx for ten years before I got the exige two years ago. I would occasionally shop around and no one could get even close to what I was paying for the nsx. The same was true when I sold the nsx and got the 07 exige. I also got a quote from hagerty for the exige when I wAs buying it. Ameriprise was a much better deal. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
that's weird about the 5 year thing.

I have my 930 insured with them. My daily driver is a 2006 wrx and I drive my exige (conventionally insured) a few times a week. It has been a while since I set up the haggerty account so they may not be aware of the age of my jalopy.

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
what happens once your daily becomes older than 5 years? They drop you? lol

btw, i also have amerprise insuring my daily and exige.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. i am putting my purchase(s) on hold as it seems I need to hunt for a new insurance company again. Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apologies for posting this in the wrong section. I did not know there was an Insurance section. But I wanted to let the community know about this situation. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
I have 6 vehicles and 2 bikes with USAA, treated me well for years!

·
Registered
850 Posts
My 2006 Elise has been insured by Hagerty for several years. I don't recall being asked anything other than whether I had a separate daily driver. All of your insurance coverage is on a shared database these days, so I'm sure agents can simply pull your coverage information to see what vehicles you have insured and through whom.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I got bitten by the same thing.

I think the Hagerty assumption is that if your DD is more than 5 years old, it's just a decoy or winter beater and you're *really* driving your "collectable" car every day.

I think they assume that if your daily driver is ever in the shop, you will be driving your collectible car instead of a rental, thus increasing the exposure of their insured vehicle to damage.

For this reason, they only want to insure people who have an extremely reliable daily driver, and their criteria for this is the age of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I've had AAA for years as my main insurer. Had two large claim over the years. They have the best costumer service for a claim. They're a little more expensive, but you.cant beat them for service. They just didn't insure bikes for a while.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts