The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Interesting!
I wonder who those initials stand for.
It's not Yujiro Matsuda, the founder of Mazda nor Tom Matano, the designer of the original Miata.

Roy

·
Registered
394 Posts
professor google says:

"...it stands for Your Sports Japan. The "I" is not intended as a letter at all, but just a styling device."

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
since the miata is a "copy" of a lotus, this makes sense in a fun way.

·
Registered
368 Posts
As a miata owner, I'll need to correct you on eunos; it was a brand diversification attempt by mazda in the Japanese market, and maybe others. The 3 rotor twin turbo Cosmo was probably their most coveted car. It was supposed to be the sporty brand, but interestingly enough, the rx-7 was never a eunos. Interesting.

Also, I'm really considering putting my stock elise wheels that are no longer in service on my miata, center caps and all. I am just concerned about the front bicycle tires ruining the balance of the car.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As a miata owner, I'll need to correct you on eunos; it was a brand diversification attempt by mazda in the Japanese market, and maybe others. The 3 rotor twin turbo Cosmo was probably their most coveted car. It was supposed to be the sporty brand, but interestingly enough, the rx-7 was never a eunos. Interesting.

Also, I'm really considering putting my stock elise wheels that are no longer in service on my miata, center caps and all. I am just concerned about the front bicycle tires ruining the balance of the car.
I had a staggered setup on my turbo miata for a while. I didn't have the best tires on it at the time, and further setup changes could probably have been made, but my general conclusion was just say no. Keep that sucker squared off. Further, there's absolutely no way I would consider it on a stockish power level miata.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have a highly modified Miata, changed so much that a majority of people can't identify it as a Miata anymore. The color scheme on the car (green, yellow stripes, red interior) is an homage to the Lotus racing colors (the car, overall, is built to be an homage to 50's-60's club racing). It has some Lotus parts in it, too, including Elise seats. I actually have Eunos badging on the car, including this Lotus styled badge being used as my steering wheel center:

I use the "Eunos" moniker on the car to help foment even more confusion about it, while at the same time still keeping true to the car's branding (at least for the Japanese market). I figure it's okay with the altered badging & similar logo since it's not actually claiming to be a Lotus, but has some elements which are part of the Lotus homage. Here's some pics of the car in question....

·
Registered
676 Posts
Miatas are cool and was based on Lotus philosophy. No mocking from me!

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Interesting!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have a highly modified Miata, changed so much that a majority of people can't identify it as a Miata anymore. The color scheme on the car (green, yellow stripes, red interior) is an homage to the Lotus racing colors (the car, overall, is built to be an homage to 50's-60's club racing). It has some Lotus parts in it, too, including Elise seats. I actually have Eunos badging on the car, including this Lotus styled badge being used as my steering wheel center:

I use the "Eunos" moniker on the car to help foment even more confusion about it, while at the same time still keeping true to the car's branding (at least for the Japanese market). I figure it's okay with the altered badging & similar logo since it's not actually claiming to be a Lotus, but has some elements which are part of the Lotus homage. Here's some pics of the car in question....
Cool car!
I like how it's well put together and not outrageous or outlandish by any margin. Things and styling queues here and there looks like they belong there in the first place. I looks completely complete. :up:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Is it coincidence that it looks like YSL (Yves St. Lauren)?

As Kreammer says. "Not that there is anything wrong with that"

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Is it coincidence that it looks like YSL (Yves St. Lauren)?

As Kreammer says. "Not that there is anything wrong with that"
What do you mean there's nothing wrong with that? everything is wrong with that!! I paid $37K for a used Elise when I could have paid $17K for a new car bearing the same emblem!! :wallbang:

·
Registered
247 Posts
These badges have been around for what seems like ages. We bought one and put it on the nose of our MX-5 / Miata about 10 years ago. Picked it up on ebay out of the UK for about $15.00 plus shipping. As mentioned above, it seems appropriate since the MX-5 is pretty much an homage to the Elan.

The badges are still listed on ebayUK, although at a cost of about $35.00 at the present exchange rate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts