The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Half priced Elise?

found this on the Seloc, what do you think?

Proton to sell half-price elise derivative in asia?

A Lotus flowers in Asia

PAUL GOVER in KUALA LUMPUR
422 words
25 July 2003
Herald-Sun
1 - FIRST
English
(c) 2003 Herald and Weekly Times Limited

A CUT-PRICE quick car cloned from the Lotus Elise will add an edge to the Proton line-up next year.

The Proton Coupe will look like an Elise, drive like an Elise, and have the impact of an Elise, but should be about half the price of the British sports car.

In Kuala Lumpur, Proton chief executive Tenkgu Mahaleel says this signals a sports-car-style push by the Malaysian carmaker.

Proton intends to put a sporty edge on every new car it creates in coming years, with plans to put as many as nine newcomers into showrooms inside five years.

Mahaleel says the Elise-based Proton Coupe will create fresh thinking about his company, as well as creating extra showroom traffic in dealerships around the world.

"The car will be affordable. It will be made in Malaysia from the Elise platform," Mahaleel says.

Proton can make its own Elise because it owns Lotus, the boutique British brand which grew from a successful Formula One team in the 1960s.

The Elise is very costly, with prices from $84,990, and only 20 cars were sold in Australia in the first half of this year.

The Proton Coupe would be at least $30,000 cheaper if Mahaleel's plan works, and several hundred could hit Australian roads. But it will need a punchier engine and less-complicated construction to satisfy the Proton plan.

"We are still working on the details. We have to determine how to build the car and how to keep the costs affordable," one Lotus insider in Malaysia says.

Proton has already been successful in Australia with the Satria GTi, an affordable hot hatch that's also a racetrack winner.

It has built the Elise in Malaysia, using chassis shipped from Britain with a range of local components, with the last of about 200 cars still being sold in dealerships. It considered exporting the Proton-made Elise, but the cost of certifying it for sale -- including crash testing -- ruled that out.

Now Mahaleel is driving the new project and is keen to get the Proton Coupe on the road -- and on export boats -- by the final quarter of 2004.

His team is looking for ways to simplify construction at Proton's Shah Allam plant, particularly the complicated backbone chassis, and developing its own engine package.

"We are trying to get a new engine with 250 horsepower (175kW) . . . still a four-cylinder, but with more performance," Mahaleel says.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Considering that the Elise is hand-built in the UK, it shouldn't be difficult to mass-produce in Malaysia a superficially similar car for half the price or less. How much is AUD$90k anyway? I'm lazy.

Most likely it would be pretty **** quality, so I doubt I'd be interested.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thomasio, I'd not rule that out so quickly if I were you - Kia (another Proton subsidiary) made the Elan S2 in Malaysia for quite a few years once Lotus were done with it.

As for 250bhp, that's already achievable with the GM 2.0L ecotec turbo engine (as fitted to the VX220 sprint, another elise variant) - it already has 240bhp!

It's fairly clear that GM want to supply the engine (which was largely developed by lotus in any case).

I've included a specsheet for the VX220 sprint below and will post a pic of it too.

Craigy

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
I forgot to mention for those of you who have never seen the Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220 before; this is an elise.

It's built on the same line in Hethel as the S2, by Lotus workers and the chassis is the same concept (but slightly different in shape to accommodate the GM-mandated parts like the ecotec engine and ABS, electric windows aircon and so on).

You might want to consider this the engineering testbed for the S3 as it's unlikely Lotus will go to the trouble of redoing the ABS and so on when they already have the systems fitted to this car.

Craigy

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Very interesting... looks good in those colors, too!

I will retract my "vapor ware" comment! ;)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
It's interesting to see what Lotus parent company is doing in other parts of the world, some bits and pieces may filter down to what we see here in the future with the Elise or other Lotus models. Personally having driven a mid-engine turbo car for over 12yrs, in something as fine a handling a car as the Elise is, would stick with a N/A motor.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
This car is about 2200 lbs. The motor seems to compensate, but who knows...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts