The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently the hand/parking brake doesn't work on my 83 S2 Esprit. I need new calipers for it, and was told they are NLA. Does anyone know if there is are calipers for another vehicle that will fit?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,105 Posts
Consider having the present calipers rebuilt at a hydraulic shop.

Two that I know are Apple Hydraulics and White Post.

Apple Hydraulics

Brake Cylinder Solutions

There might be a local business that does this as well, ask around.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Rebuilding brake calipers is pretty easy, finding the parts is the problem. I know the front calipers for my '87 are '84 Toyota Celica, not sure about the rear inboard but my best guess would be Toyota also.

A brake caliper just consists of a rubber seal near the piston edge, piston boot and maybe some o-rings sealing the two halves if they split apart. The rear calipers on my car have a 'rotating' piston for the ebrake.

Unlike a conventional caliper where you can just squeeze the piston back into the bore, on this type you need to rotate the piston counter clockwise back into the bore. If you do not rotate the piston it will give the illusion that it is frozen in the bore.

I'm sure Jeff at JAE could hook you up with calipers or a rebuild kit should you need it. Check the cables to make sure they are working smoothly and adjustment is correct first.

Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts
'83 s2? not an s3? the rears brakes on my '85 s3 are bendix 45mm (if I remember correctly) same as the matra 3 seater, I have ordered a repair set and done it myself.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The part of the brake caliper that the hand brake cable connects to is missing or broken. Will try to get pictures next week when it's on a lift

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some pics of the right side parking brake caliper assembly. The caliper is frozen solid and the rotor will need to be replaced, which is not that much of a problem. My biggest problem is that the parking brake cable is supposed to fit into a opening on the brake assembly, however it is broken.

If you look where the black parking brake cable connects to the red brake assembly, the eyelet that the cable secures to is broken. I have heard that these look close to Toyota brake caliper.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Bob, a solution might be to fab a bracket with a hole in both ends. One end attach via the bolt to the left in the bottom pic and the other for the brake cable. Bend to suit for alignment...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everywhere I turn I keep hearing 81-86 Toyota Celica. I'm told they are an exact fit. Can anyone verify this?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,105 Posts
Everywhere I turn I keep hearing 81-86 Toyota Celica. I'm told they are an exact fit. Can anyone verify this?
I dunno, those calipers don't look anything like the ones on the back of my '88s inboard brakes.

IIRC it was the front brake calipers that were lifted from the Toyota.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
If you can find the right shop with a "crackerjack" welder it can be repaired. It is "just" cast iron and can be welded and then machined. It may then become a matter of economics. You might be able to find another caliper for less than it will cost to fix. Especially figuring you have to rebuild it too. Pistons can be expensive. If you replace the pads too, you should always do both sides (both rears) at the same time.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can find the right shop with a "crackerjack" welder it can be repaired. It is "just" cast iron and can be welded and then machined. It may then become a matter of economics. You might be able to find another caliper for less than it will cost to fix. Especially figuring you have to rebuild it too. Pistons can be expensive. If you replace the pads too, you should always do both sides (both rears) at the same time.
David Teitelbaum
David- I agree that there comes a point when (correctly) repairing becomes more expensive than replacing- and we'll be doing both rear brakes, not just the one side

1 - 11 of 11 Posts