The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1969 Lotus Elan S4. The handbrake is broken. I discovered one of the rods broke so bought a new rod. I also found that the linkage is bent. Need to repair it and the only way is to remove it.I can see that there is a bolt to remove but there seems to be no access to it without removing the body or at least unbolting and propping the rear of the body up. Was there ever access via a hole in the trunk or is there something I'm missing? I don't want to start drilling holes without getting some advice first. The bolt seems to be above the chassis plate and located behind the 2 bolts in the trunk next to the gas tank. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Hello Stebbs,

May I suggest posting your question to Lotus Elan and Lotus Elan Plus 2 Forums by LotusElan.net The knowledge and resources are second to none. The shop manual describes the operation and maintenance and the parts book shows how it all comes apart. Unfortunately it's not easily understood. I did cut an opening in my boot so I could try to repair it and also check and fill the oil for the diff from inside the boot. I put a rubber body plug like the one in the right side of the body next to the transmission fill plug. Good luck.

Regards,
Dan Wise
'67 Elan DHC

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Pretty sure you can access it from behind the diff
Are you sure it is bent?

It rocks back and forth when it is not connected to anything

The mechanism is a little funky and it may look like it won't connect but will reach in the end

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely bent. There is one arm of the T connected to the rod to one brake but the other rod is broken (I have a new one) and the arm is pointing up instead of out. Of course I can always try bending it back but it looks weak and I wanted to replace it. I'll keep trying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts