The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share this because an Elise in a handicapped spot is something you don't see every day. My wife and I were hit by a car while on a motorcycle and she's still suffering from a broken leg and sprained ankle some time later. However, now that she's on a cane instead of crutches, we were able to take a quick drive today.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Reminds me of a very controversial thread from years back.....

·
Premium Member
11,718 Posts
cawdor -

Glad you're both on the mend and up and around in your elise.

=gb=

·
Registered
158 Posts
Handicap plates on open top cars!

I have a handicap plate on my 2005 Elise. I have had handicap plates for nearly 20 years now and just switch them from sports car to sports cars that I have owned over the years. This Lotus seems to bring the most attention parked in handicap spots of any of my previous sports cars from Porsche and Alfa Romeo.

It is risky to use the placard on these cars or any other open top cars. Once the handicap placard is stolen your car will most likely end up being ticketed and towed! That turns out to be a huge hassle in the end as it happened to me once before in a convertible sports car. A costly mistake that requires hours of time and trouble to rectify.

That is why I use plates now on any open top car I own.

I get lots and lots of stares from others, even a few rude comments now and then. I just say to naysayers that it is me who is handicapped not the car and once I am in this car I am far more comfortable in the reclined position of these seats then any other car I have driven.

The best part in being able to park in the blue spaces is no chance of door dings or others parking much too close to my car. I have even parked parallel which is a big no no in these cars in regular spots but with the extra width and length given in blue spots I felt no concern of someone parking by braille method and tapping my car. Getting up close to fronts of stores or entrances of buildings/attractions etc.. is also good for security reasons too!

Yet no matter how many pluses I can think of I still would rather trade the pain I feel for the ability to walk from the back of lots....

·
Registered
294 Posts
haha yes I have had 2 knee surgeries and I decided to get one. Parking at college campuses all the way in the back are not fun to krutch from. Love parking up front, next to nobody.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
yes, i get some funny looks with the elise with a handicap card.
i sometimes tell people i wasn't handicapped til i started driving the elise...
never any problems tho.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My dad had permanent handicapped placards due to a severe limp caused by polio. He drove corvettes for about 12 years (Yes, automatics). Many many times when he would pull up and park in a handicapped spot people would start yelling at him for thinking he was above the law. When he hung his placard, got out and started walking (his limp was VERY noticable and obviously not faked), they would quickly shut up. People see a sports car and they make so many assumptions....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL.... you left your poor injured wife in the car! rotfl
Nah. If she stayed in the car, I couldn't have legally used the spot. I took the picture before getting back in myself.

Sigh. Only a five minute trip to the grocery store and we headed home. I haven't even driven the car much myself since the accident. Broken rib + Lotus suspension = Uncomfortable ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts