The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my HANS device arrived today, and very little about my set-up meets HANS's published spec for proper fitment. This despite the fact that other Lotus owners seem to be using their HANS devices with the seat/harness bar set-up I have.

I am trying to decide whether I should (a) return the device, (b) keep the device and change my car, or (c) keep the device and leave everything be.

First off, my set-up:
- Lotus Sport Seats; I am assuming these are the same seats installed in Exiges; a hole for an anti-sub strap was installed by a race shop.
- Schroth six-point harnesses (with 3-inch shoulder straps)
- Sector 111 4Tress Harness Bar.

Now, my problems (see illustrations for clarity):
- The back of the HANS touches the seat back. It's not supposed to. And I have a HANS model 10, created for the most upright seats.
- The relative locations of the harness bar and my shoulders don't give me the 1-2-inches below horizontal as defined in the illustration. FWIW, I am 6-feet-tall
- Because the inner edges of the shoulder strap holes in the Lotus seats are much wider than 5 inches apart, I can't replicate the HANS spec, which calls for no more than 3 inches distance from inner edge to inner edge.

All that said, with the device strapped in, I have sufficient range of motion, and it seems very stable and buttoned down.

Can other share exactly what seats and harness bar they are running? Knowing your heights would help too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the illustrations...

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Hey Jon,

Smart move getting a HANs. I just bought one myself from Stand21. Their recommendations state the shoulder belts must be horizontal or 10-20deg below horizontal. I think you are OK there. Our V-force bar does sit lower if you want to be absolutely sure. The distance between the belts is an issue that can only be addressed with a different seat.

I'm still trying to achieve an optimal fit in my Atom and Exige and will need to tweak before I can meet all of their requirements...I'll report back when I'm done!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
model 20 for sedans.............
never heard of of anyone using the model 10.
also, unless the seat says that it is hans compatible, then i would assume that it is not.
just because a seat looks like a racing seat, dont assume its desing for use with the hans.
ditch the seat, return the hans for the model 20, and buy a sparco or something similar that is hans compatible, and says so on is marketing spiel.

you will be happy you did.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Jon,

Broadly, I'd say...find a different seat. I'm a little hesitant with your belt situation, HANS or not (clearly the HANS doesn't work at all with the way you have things). I know your illustrations are are approximate, but as shown, your upper attachment spacing is pretty far apart to be safe.

Admittedly, I'm a "belt Nazi."

As far as the actual HANS, unless you are VERY VERY thin and your seat is amazingly bolt upright, the 20 should be the right one. A lot of folks do have to play with headrests for the same issues you have of contact with the seat; at the same time, you fo sure don't want it touching your helmet when you are strapped in because it'll transfer a ton of vibration.

Steve

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
model 20 for sedans.............
never heard of of anyone using the model 10.
also, unless the seat says that it is hans compatible, then i would assume that it is not.
just because a seat looks like a racing seat, dont assume its desing for use with the hans.
ditch the seat, return the hans for the model 20, and buy a sparco or something similar that is hans compatible, and says so on is marketing spiel.

you will be happy you did.
Model 10 is designed for the most upright seats (you can read about it on the HANS website). The Lotus Sport seats aren't designed for racing, though Lotus sells them in the Exige for use with the Schroth 4-point ASM system. If you have never seen these seats, well... they look pretty much like the stock Elise seats but have holes for the shoulder straps. Yeah, I will probably have to get a new seat. But because a number of other people seem to be using HANS a-ok with Lotus seats, I thought I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon,

Broadly, I'd say...find a different seat. I'm a little hesitant with your belt situation, HANS or not (clearly the HANS doesn't work at all with the way you have things). I know your illustrations are are approximate, but as shown, your upper attachment spacing is pretty far apart to be safe.

Admittedly, I'm a "belt Nazi."

As far as the actual HANS, unless you are VERY VERY thin and your seat is amazingly bolt upright, the 20 should be the right one. A lot of folks do have to play with headrests for the same issues you have of contact with the seat; at the same time, you fo sure don't want it touching your helmet when you are strapped in because it'll transfer a ton of vibration.

Steve
Hi Steve... I'm not very, very thin, but yes, the seat are "amazingly bolt upright." (We all own, or at least once owned, Lotus Elise/Exiges, right? I get the feeling that Fishguy and Steve aren't familiar with my seats!)

When I am strapped in, my helmet doesn't touch the HANS; there is lots of clearence between the helmet and HANS, but the HANS does touch the seat-back.

So who here actually uses a HANS inside their Lotus Elise or Exige? Please tell me which seats and harness bar you have installed. Cheers! Cheers to all.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Exige/Elise seats are not hans compatible.
If you're using a HANS inside an Elise or an Exige can you tell me what your set-up is?

·
Registered
189 Posts
First off, my set-up:
- Lotus Sport Seats; I am assuming these are the same seats installed in Exiges; a hole for an anti-sub strap was installed by a race shop.
- Schroth six-point harnesses (with 3-inch shoulder straps)
- Sector 111 4Tress Harness Bar.

Now, my problems (see illustrations for clarity):
- The back of the HANS touches the seat back. It's not supposed to.
I've posted this somewhere before, sorry can't find it.

I had to get rid of my HANS when I got the Elise w Exige seats. The seat shape was way off in my case; helmet hit the seat. Sounds like your experience. But I liked the Exige seats because they are easy to get in and out of and fully tested with the street belts, which I use when not on the track.

I ended up getting an R3 to replace the HANS. As far as I can tell it's in the ballpark safetywise (though not as well known), certainly much better than nothing, and it's OK with the Exige seats. Extra benefit: it works when I'm in a student's car w 3-point belts too. Have seen too many novice GT3's upside down.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
First off, my set-up:
I think calling your seats Lotus Sport Seats is somewhat confusing. I would call those Exige seats and Lotus Sport seats are the Recaro that comes in Cup cars.

Anyway a picture is worth...

Exige seat

Lotus Sport Recaro

As you can see Emerson seems happy with his Hans in the LSR seat.

I think you need to change your seat. I have the LSR in my 2-Eleven and it makes you feel so much more connected to the car and it is more comfortable.
:shift:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've posted this somewhere before, sorry can't find it.

I had to get rid of my HANS when I got the Elise w Exige seats. The seat shape was way off in my case; helmet hit the seat. Sounds like your experience. But I liked the Exige seats because they are easy to get in and out of and fully tested with the street belts, which I use when not on the track.

I ended up getting an R3 to replace the HANS. As far as I can tell it's in the ballpark safetywise (though not as well known), certainly much better than nothing, and it's OK with the Exige seats. Extra benefit: it works when I'm in a student's car w 3-point belts too. Have seen too many novice GT3's upside down.
Thanks! Very helpful, Charles. Care to comment on comfort? The R3 looks like it would be less comfortable than HANS.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think calling your seats Lotus Sport Seats is somewhat confusing. I would call those Exige seats and Lotus Sport seats are the Recaro that comes in Cup cars.
Ahhh... I see. I was calling them "Lotus Sport" seats because my memory was telling me that these are what they were called in the Trim Shop brochure. Good point, though.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm in the same boat- Altough, I haven't pulled the trigger yet- I've just about decided on an R3 or Hutchins Hybrid for a few reasons including:

1. Different systems offer varying amounts of protection, but some protection is always better than no protection-

2. You should consider how quickly a system will allow egress from a burning car-

BTW: I have the same "Exige" seats in my Elise, and based on my purchase experience, I also thought they were called Lotus Sport-

·
Registered
975 Posts
jon,

congrats on getting a HANS. does it help fitment any if you remove the small padded block off the headrest?

i have the same seats and will shortly be looking at this issue as well.

fwiw, i got the lotus sport bar in part because it mounts lower than others. even being 6'-4", it was the right height for me.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jon,

congrats on getting a HANS. does it help fitment any if you remove the small padded block off the headrest?

i have the same seats and will shortly be looking at this issue as well.

fwiw, i got the lotus sport bar in part because it mounts lower than others. even being 6'-4", it was the right height for me.
Hey Dan... I haven't tried removing the padded block. But given the various factors that break from HANS' spec, I think I'm just going to have to return the HANS and go with an R3. FWIW, I probably made a rash decision in buying the HANS -- I had always known it to be the defacto head and neck safety system, and I was under the impression it would work for me (as it seems to have worked for a few other folks with stock seats, at least based on a 10-20 minutes spent reading threads on LotusTalk.) ... As for the harness bar, I didn't even consider bar height when I purchased! Much to learn...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Jon- think the model 20 would be the best fit for the Lotus seat. In the process of having a custom Kirkey installed, that is a 10 degree lay back and is much more upright. HANS are very picky about their setup. My Kirkey isn't compatible with them unless I went with a full containment version. I'll be going with a Isaac, for H&N.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts