The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Sector's newsletter, they have the following: "Schroth has now completed the necessary testing to determine that the HANS device is safe to work with our Schroth harness."

Is this true? I went to the Schroth site and could not find that info.

Is this a new design? Does this apply for a Schroth Profi II I purchased in late 2007?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Don't see how it could be - AFAIK, the FIA doesn't certify shoulder straps that wide to be used with a HANS, regardless of ASM.

There's a couple of ASM harnesses from Schroth (car model specific clip-ins) that are HANS compatible and there's a Profi II HANS harness (with narrower shoulder straps and without ASM).

I'm betting it's a mistake on Sector 111's site but would be thrilled if they came along and said otherwise.

·
Registered
494 Posts
For SCCA at least, 3" straps are entirely legal with a HANS -- the 2" are allowed, but lots of people don't have them (especially in rental cars) since they do limit you to a HANS (i.e., a neck collar is NOT legal with 2" belts).

Steve

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Schroth has confirmed that the Hans device does work with the ASM 3" belts, however they will not work with stock elise or exige seats since the shoulder strap cannot meet the 3" maximum distance between them at the harness bar. This is becasue the harness bar is too close to the seat back and the holes in the Exige seats are more than 3" apart and headrest on the Elise seats are way too wide to conform, even for tall drivers like me (74"). While the 3" belts are approved, the recommend the 2" retrofit shoulder straps which you can purchase separately if you already own a Schroth ASM harness.

I've been doing a lot of homework of h&n restraints. My conclusion - Hans is a misfit unless you a have a seat made especially for our cars and the 2" Hans shoulder harness is used. I've actually returned mine. The d-Cell and Simpson systems are not highly rated for releiving neck tension and they tend to stretch over time and then need to be replaced. THe best solution I've found is the Isaac, but that's not approved for any sanctioned racing where H&N restraints are required from what I understand, because the drive cannot be extracted from the vehicle with a "single point release' (the Isaac requires that two pins be released at the helmet AND the harness released to exit the car). That's OK with me since the Isaac has the best neck releif numbers on the market and most track workers know how to release them if such an unlikely need were to arise.

·
Registered
856 Posts
THe best solution I've found is the Isaac, but that's not approved for any sanctioned racing where H&N restraints are required from what I understand, because the drive cannot be extracted from the vehicle with a "single point release' (the Isaac requires that two pins be released at the helmet AND the harness released to exit the car). That's OK with me since the Isaac has the best neck releif numbers on the market and most track workers know how to release them if such an unlikely need were to arise.
Will the Isaac work with the 3" ASM shoulder belts as set up in the Elise?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yup. Isaac works with any shoulder harness from what I understand.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Forgive me for asking a potentially dumb question...-poke-

Is there anyway that with stock seats and using the Sector 111 harness hole plate thingys that you could make harnesses work with the Hans? Since you could make the hole where you wish?:shrug:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Schroth has confirmed that the Hans device does work with the ASM 3" belts, however they will not work with stock elise or exige seats since the shoulder strap cannot meet the 3" maximum distance between them at the harness bar. This is becasue the harness bar is too close to the seat back and the holes in the Exige seats are more than 3" apart and headrest on the Elise seats are way too wide to conform, even for tall drivers like me (74"). While the 3" belts are approved, the recommend the 2" retrofit shoulder straps which you can purchase separately if you already own a Schroth ASM harness.

I've been doing a lot of homework of h&n restraints. My conclusion - Hans is a misfit unless you a have a seat made especially for our cars and the 2" Hans shoulder harness is used. I've actually returned mine. The d-Cell and Simpson systems are not highly rated for releiving neck tension and they tend to stretch over time and then need to be replaced. The best solution I've found is the Isaac, but that's not approved for any sanctioned racing where H&N restraints are required from what I understand, because the driver cannot be extracted from the vehicle with a "single point release' (the Isaac requires that two pins be released at the helmet AND the harness released to exit the car). That's OK with me since the Isaac has the best neck releif numbers on the market and most track workers know how to release them if such an unlikely need were to arise.
Oh jeez... is there ANYTHING that will work safely in our cars??? I've been hearing SO many different opinions I don't know what to do at this point!!! :wallbang:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts