The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise - Graphite Gray w/Touring & Sport Pkg
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the HF Floor Jack Cross Beam to lift the Elise/Exige instead of using the Jack Helper, would it work? I found a thread here where someone commented he uses it on his Evora but I haven't found anyone mentioning the Elige.

Thank you in advance

·
Banned
150 Posts
Pretty sure that doesn’t allow enough room to get below the car unless you drive up on some
Blocks. I have the same 3 ton Jack and just use it with a 2x4 right in the muffle of the back and she comes off the ground fine with a few lifts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise - Graphite Gray w/Touring & Sport Pkg
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's wrong with the jack helper?
I don't have any of them yet. I was trying to figure out if the HF cross beam adapter was a good option since I could use it for other things. The Jack helper is solely for the Elise.

·
Less is Better
2,864 Posts
Or save $60 and use a 2x4
Now this I absolutely wouldn't do. I don't even know if it would be possible to keep a 2x4 from sliding and either ruining the diffuser or slipping off the jack and the jack ruining the diffuser.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Now this I absolutely wouldn't do. I don't even know if it would be possible to keep a 2x4 from sliding and either ruining the diffuser or slipping off the jack and the jack ruining the diffuser.
🙄 been doing it for awhile, no issues. 3rd world problems

·
Less is Better
2,864 Posts
No? You stick a 2x4 under the back beam and Jack from middle. Not rocket science
Maybe not rocket science, but it is life or death. Maybe there's something in your description that I'm not getting, like you have removed the diffuser or something, but as I understand it, you're setting a 2x4 up against the diffuser and lifting with a jack. That's about as secure as this:

·
Registered
'08 Exige S240
192 Posts
lol @me73 that image is hilarious.

I'm not surprised the 2x4 could work - wood blocks are very strong and often used to support cars/parts. I'm just skeptical it doesnt damage the diffuser and I think it might be prone to slip, since the rear jack locations are already a bit precarious

·
Banned
150 Posts
It goes right where the 2 main bolts are, same spot. The wood is softer then metal and the heads sink into the wood. Or just take the trays off and do same. It’s very stable, done it many many many times for simple tire off stuff. If im
Going to do any under car items, I remove trays and go to stands. People treat these things like it’s some crazy rocket science project. It’s a metal car. It lifts like any other car, just use the right points that are structurally sound.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,424 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts