The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the reach on this is long enough to pull the engine on an Esprit? Thanks.

·
S4s
751 Posts
@1977S1

I bought one because I thought I was going to have to do some engine out maintenance on mine, but never used it. However, the 2 Ton H.F. hoist was recommended to me by a reputable member who pulled his engine out over 1/2 a dozen times.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
It should work. You need to remove one strut (I think it is the left one) so you can get the rear hatch up high enough so you have room or you can remove the hatch. If you think the hoist is overloaded take the transaxle out by itself first. The 2 ton rating is UNEXTENDED. As you extend the boom you reduce capacity. Only use the hoist on a hard, smooth, LEVEL floor. Use a safety chain and don't put ANYTHING important (like body parts) underneath the load. A load balancer is nice to keep the load level but not required. You could lift the load just a little and see if it hangs right. If not you put it down, reset the lifting chains (or straps) and try again till you get it balanced. You do have to lift it level so you can raise it high enough to get over the back of the car. Be careful lifting till you are sure you have everything disconnected. A helper is useful as it is an extra set of eyes and to help move the lift. Keep your chains short so you can lift the load high enough to get out. NEVER trust the hoist till your load is safely on the floor, especially a HF one. An engine stand is also handy to work on the motor so you don't have to work on the floor.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
The 2 ton version has enough reach to allow you to remove the engine by itself (if needed), and is also of course good enough to remove the engine with the transmission. The smaller HF crane does really not have enough reach for the Esprit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This isn't really answering your question, but I used a similar lift to pull my V8 engine and trans out, as a unit. As the others have said here, I would really recommend the equalizer bar as it makes everything much easier to handle.

If you aren't completely sure about the engine hoist making the distance, don't try pulling it from the rear. Mine was close enough that I was within an inch or so of the rear bumper, and my initial "test" lift caused the hoist to suck in and put a minor scratch on my rear bumper. It's almost invisible, but it still pisses me off that I scratched my own car.

In the end, I found it was much easier to just lift everything over the sail panel, setting up 90 degrees from my first attempt. That gave me tons of room to move any direction, and while it's a little unnerving to lift something that large over the side of the car, if you are going to drop an engine and transmission, the side of the car is the least of your worries. Just make sure you cover your paintwork with a tarp or something to avoid the drips of residual coolant or oil. After doing it that way, it's the only way I'd go.

Jake

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, unfortunately the arm is not long enough to pull the engine on it’s own. The arm reaches far enough forward to be inline with the flywheel, which basically leaves the whole engine overhanging. If the gearbox was still attached I think it would be ok as it would act as a counterweight. My gearbox is already removed. This is an excellent advertisement for pulling the engine and gearbox together.

So I’m am kind of stuck. I think I’m going to to have to floor jack the engine up of the mounts and roll it back about a foot so I can get the the crane hook as close to mid point as I can. Anyone see any problems with this?.

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
784 Posts
If you deflate/remove the rear tires and get the body down a little lower, does that give you any more reach?
I use a chain hoist and load leveler myself, so I'm not much help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m as low as I can go. the car needs to be raised about 3 inches for the base of the crane to clear the lower control arms. But I appreciate the suggestion. Guess I’ll try to return the crane to HF and look for another with a longer reach. So frustration.

·
Read Only
470 Posts
I looked for quite a while to find one with enough reach. It's an old model Harbor freight doesn't have anymore. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Most engine cranes have an extendable boom. Just keep in mind as you extend the boom, you decrease the lifting capacity. Not too bad because now you only have to lift the motor and not the motor AND gearbox. I don't know if yours extends. Another way would be to lift the motor at an angle and as you lift it, it will swing towards the rear of the car and then you can lift it some more. Or put the gearbox back on to balance it. Or rent a better engine crane for a day.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m going to try and come at it from the side. searching around it would seem I’m not the only one who has encountered this issue.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
That's a small one! A bigger one would give you a lot more reach and capacity. Using a HB lift near it's capacity is not a great idea.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s not the best hoist and it is cheap but sometimes you need to make what you have and what’s available work. Given a higher roof garage and a bigger budget I would have a better bit of kit. Stripping the engine of the intake, flywheel, turbo etc...saved a lot of weight. However, 1/2 ton is 1000lbs and even a fully dressed 910 engine weighs less than 1/2 that amount. Still appreciate all your comments David.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Step back and look at that thing! Does it look like it can safely handle 1,000 # hanging out there? I like a safety factor of at least 2 and from the look of it you are really pushing it. Just because that thing is labeled that way doesn't mean it can actually handle it. Compare it to something a little better and you will see yours looks like a toy. Not too long ago I had to buy a new floor jack. The old one was a Craftsman aluminum racing jack that I thought was a good one till I went on the internet and found that same looking thing all over and they were all Chinese. It WAS cheap and light but it flexed and twisted and creaked and groaned till it died. I sprung for a much better one and it works great BUT it is a lot heavier (and a lot more expensive). How much will you be saving when it drops the motor? If you can't afford to buy a good one (or you just don't want to for the 1-2 times you will need one) you can rent them cheap enough.
David Teitelbaum

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
784 Posts
Harbor Freight has been successful in it's market niche by providing affordable tools for just this sort of occasional use. Would you buy it for a shop? No. Can it enable a home wrench to take on a job if used reasonably? Yes.

·
Hickory, NC
1,037 Posts
I’ve plucked 711lbs of Austin Healey engine and tranny over a dozen times with the same cherry picker in way more dangerous ways than that. Carry on sir

1 - 20 of 20 Posts