The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got off the Phone with Silver Star, they say they need me to firm up my order (I'm in the first batch) This is the pricing information they are telling me at the moment:

39985 Base Price
795 Delivery Cost
590 Metalic Paint
1200 Lifestyle Paint
2480 Sports Package
1475 Hardtop
1350 Touring Package (full leather seats, electric windows)

I'm going to visit them this evening on the way home. I'll get the information on what colors are lifestyles and whats in each of the packages then.

One last thing, I'm in the first order batch, and they are saying that my delivery will be in June/July. I guess things have slipped a bit more.

Edit: This should have been May/June

Steve W

·
Registered
10 Posts
steve

What # are u in? so the first car won't be ready at Apr? cause when i talk to them they say they will got 10 cars per mths. i thought i will got my car round summer.....well well....
post the update pls, thanks

Calvin

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am starting to believe this car is priced too high. Many of the previously stated standard items are now options. If you add up the costs of a loaded car with lifestyle paint (including delivery and tax) you pushing close to $50K. Not good value IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car. I just don't think the price is justified. I am near the front of the list, but there is no way I am ordering until I see a federal car thoroughly tested first. Even then I'll likely pass. I'll let them hold my deposit for a while and see what pans out. Based on what people are posting on the board, I'll probably get a call to place my order w/in a month.

Too bad the car isn't $35K w/ the sports suspension.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yea, the price is really starting to creep to the point where it is almost too much for me. As long as I can get it for MSRP, I will still get one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There more I think about it, I'll probably get the improved 2004 S2000. As I will be unable to resist the sports pack and probably a high cost paint if I do order the Elise, the S2000 will be $15K cheaper. Granted the S2000 are seen everywhere, but $15K is just too much difference.

Plus, I have yet to trust Lotus reliability. My friends Esprit sucked reliability wise

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I think part of the problem is that we have been hearing price in the thirties for several years and that has been engrained in us as somewhere in low-mid thirties. Now that the reality of the price tag, whether or not due to the exchange rate, has hit, we're a bit put off.
What I'm curious is discrepency between the 'dealer' hard data and the press release.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm third at Silver star lotus. My delivery will be in the first batch.

I've heard different numbers for the batch size, including 6, 8 or 10. If there are 35 dealers and 2500 cars a year, that works out at 6 cars a month. I don't have any better info than that.

Babak, what does the press release say?

Steve

·
Registered
259 Posts
babak said:
I think part of the problem is that we have been hearing price in the thirties for several years and that has been engrained in us as somewhere in low-mid thirties. Now that the reality of the price tag, whether or not due to the exchange rate, has hit, we're a bit put off.
What I'm curious is discrepency between the 'dealer' hard data and the press release.
I agree that that is a large part of it. However, with the other makes out there, this car is hard to justify value-wise. No other car gives you such a light weight and pure driving experience, but nevertheless, its price doesn't justify it. I know Lotus is a small manufacturer and can't mass produce the car like Honda, but value is value no matter how you cut it. I hope Lotus can succeed in the USA, but I am having my doubts. I never thought I would say that. I am afraid Lotus is pricing themselves out of the market.

Excluding the Miata and MR-S, you have the S2000 at the low end of the price spectrum and the Z4 and Boxster at the upper end. The Lotus should have been priced somewhere in the middle, right around $35K or lower.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Steve W said:
39985 Base Price
795 Delivery Cost
590 Metalic Paint
1200 Lifestyle Paint
2480 Sports Package
1475 Hardtop
1350 Touring Package (full leather seats, electric windows)

Steve W
So they hit you with the metallic charge along with the lifestyle? WTF? I did'nt know that. So I'll be paying $1800 for paint. Great.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, the price is too high but I'm buying one anyway. Look what you can buy on the used market for $45-$50k. A 996 Carrera, a mint 993, an E46 M3, even an M5. I try not to think about this. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
ringmeister said:
Yes, the price is too high but I'm buying one anyway. Look what you can buy on the used market for $45-$50k. A 996 Carrera, a mint 993, an E46 M3, even an M5. I try not to think about this. :)
So don't think about it :D I am buying this as a third car (adding to or replacing my M3) and what I think about is how much more fun the Elise is to drive than my (E36) M3.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When I put my deposit down in November of 2001, yep over two years ago, the anticipated MSPR was $38,500 and that is right on my deposit invoice. Since then the dollar has sunk almost 20% to the Pound Sterling which means at the same margin for Lotus and the dealer the car should be/could be $46,200 and guess what, with sport pack, hard top and optional paint, it is at $46,000, no surprise. No need to argue the value equation, everyone has a different one, I have owned two Lotus' previously and I am getting this one, they are hands down the most entertaining cars there are to drive.
No doubts here, I'm getting the car and driving the wheels off of it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you were going to look at it that way, why not wait 2-3 years. You'll get a 2005 Elise for 20-25k then - the price of a new Miata.
It's a sports car. They always cost too much, no matter what the sticker ;)

Just for interest I did some quick calculations. A 111S in the UK lists at 27,995. That's $49,800. I think the 39k+bits is certainly line with the UK prices (given the exchange rate sucks as bad as it does).

Actually the best piece of news I saw was the 3 year / 36k warranty. Contrast that with the 2 years on the Esprit...

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
James A said:
Since then the dollar has sunk almost 20% to the Pound Sterling which means at the same margin for Lotus and the dealer the car should be/could be $46,200 and guess what, with sport pack, hard top and optional paint, it is at $46,000, no surprise
The beauty of this is when the dollar DOES recover it'll mean more cream for Lotus.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Jon said:
I am starting to believe this car is priced too high.
...(full thread, see original post above...)
Too bad the car isn't $35K w/ the sports suspension.
life is tough, huh? look at how much the USD is worth now compare to GBP as many mentioned. $35k with sports suspension? LOL. it's really too bad. enjoy your 2004 S2000!

·
Registered
327 Posts
M!! said:
life is tough, huh? look at how much the USD is worth now compare to GBP as many mentioned. $35k with sports suspension? LOL. it's really too bad. enjoy your 2004 S2000!
Nice! I'm sure he will enjoy it. It's a great car. Besides, the top doesn't leak, you can put it up and down in a matter of seconds, it won't have millions of niggling problems, and .. best of all .. you can actually climb in and out of the car without looking like a drunken MS sufferer.

Having said that, I really still like the Lotus. But the S2000 is just more functional by far while being just a tiny bit less fun. If the cars cost the same, only a real track junky could justify the Elise. With a $15k price difference, I'm not even sure a track junky can justify it now.

Elise buyers will be Die-Hards that have always wanted the car and refuse to be rational or open to disappointment. They'll probably be very wealthy with no plans to use the car on a regular basis. OR -- they're young and in love with the fantasy of driving something like a Lotus & can't imagine how old it'll get to live with such a car on a daily basis. What's left are the people for whom the Lotus name is worth $15k over a mere Honda badge.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts