The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any hints what would cause a hard / long startup?

It feel exactly like I'm not letting my fuel pump prime, but I swear I do.
This morning a made a quick test, flipped to on - waited for pump then tapped the start button for 1/10 a second - waited a few seconds again - and presto it starts on the first crank like magic. Not very scientific... but anything else I should look at? I suppose tomorrow I try it just with the key as see what happens.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
This is pretty much how my car starts every time and has since the day I owned it. On my second engine and it's basically the same...

·
Wow Such Admin
6,945 Posts
Probably normal,

but there is a minimal chance you have a pinhole leak in the fuel feed line (common leak, search) which would cause your fuel pressure to bleed off and cause long starts. Probably not, but just saying its a possibility.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's not the fuel pump (sorry Travis), just the nature of the beast. The ECU needs to see a synchronization of the crank and camshaft sensors before firing. This means the engine generally won't fire with just a tenth second push of the button.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Mine is harder to start after I let it sit a day or two. It starts great if I drove it the previous day.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
^+1

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
You can check your injectors seals for leaks. After running pull the cover off the fuel rail and visually check for wet spots or has smell. I had the same problem until I changed orings and injector seals. Fixed my problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts