The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2010 evora! Love it sofar put about 300mi on her today.
Have a question, the clutch pedal requires more effort to operate than any other manual trans car I've ever owned, is this normal to the evora?
And I can hear a slight bit of noise when I shift in and out of gears when I engage/disengage the clutch. It goes away after clutch is out

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just picked up a 2010 evora! Love it sofar put about 300mi on her today.
Have a question, the clutch pedal requires more effort to operate than any other manual trans car I've ever owned, is this normal to the evora?
And I can hear a slight bit of noise when I shift in and out of gears when I engage/disengage the clutch. It goes away after clutch is out
Congrats on the new car! As a recent owner, I had the same question. Here is an email I got on the matter from Lotus US

------
Please note that the gearbox type in this vehicle is a bit noisy. What is being heard are the gears themselves meshing while unloaded. If the vehicle has a sport gear box, which means that 3rd thru 6th gear are of closer ratios, these are a tad more " expressive". When you have the clutch depressed, this unloads the drivetrain and the mainshaft is no longer moving so the noise stops. When you let the clutch out(in neutral) the mainshaft starts spinning and along with that so do all of the gears on the secondary shaft, the freewheeling gears.

There is nothing wrong with the gearbox. This is a normal noise and should not be a cause for concern unless there is some other facet of the gearbox that is not working correctly, such as shifting or....
----

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Mister2:

Off the the topic, but how is the drive going from Florida? Did you figure out the parking issue in new Orleans ?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
So heavy pedal effort is normal?
The newer the car the easier the clutch.. I noticed after I had my clutch replaced it was very light, but after the break-in period, it was very heavy.

I've driven other newer evoras and notice the clutch was much lighter on them also.

My Evora's clutch pedal is about 2-3 times heavier than my other cars.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had the same thoughts when I picked up my Evora, but I hadn't driven a manual in years. After my drive back from Florida, I never even thought about it again. After some time in traffic, your calf will have new muscle memory.

Enjoy the drive back.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
No, honestly its a bit firmer than the Jap cars, but just hop in a Mustang or Vette for comparison. You need to get used to a manual again and said you hadn't been in one for some time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think maybe it's worthwhile for those with heavy clutches to go into the dealer and drive another one they have on the lot for comparison?

There might be a problem on the weight of the clutches, as the demo 8k miles one that i drove before I bought the car was significantly heavier than the 2k miles that I have now, so I wonder if it's a TADTS or if there may be a real issue here warranty wise.

Both my brother-in-law and I feel the clutch on the Evora is lighter than the A5, based on the 2k miles I have on the car now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to look into it this week the other evora I drove, the clutch felt fairly normal.
This one is allmost unenjoyable.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
The cops are ALL OVER all of Oklahoma City, Norman, Edmond and Midwest City. I have had a lot of driving the past 3 days and my radar detector has not shut up. 0 tickets so far. Will be keeping it that way today as I head out but it is crazy out there right now.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Did't Lotus make a change in the clutch action (effort) in the fall of 2010. For later 2011 cars. I know my car does not have this update. My cars build date was July 2010 as a 2011 car. I do have the first shift linkage update, and some other some updates. I know that the S has the clutch update from day one.
Ron:clap:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a February 2010 car certainly would not describe my clutch as heavy. It's longer than a country mile, but not heavy.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts