The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all: I searched the forum but couldn't find anything related: Anybody have experience with the wacky bolts on the hard top not threading right upon reinstallation of the top? I have one single bolt that I can get restarted and I'm wondering if I stripped it when I removed it or something. (The manual sucks - it should have included a picture of what these nonstandard "trapped" bolts looked like so you know what to expect.)

Is this common? Every other bolt was easy as pie - this one just one start.

:huh:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Howdy all: I searched the forum but couldn't find anything related: Anybody have experience with the wacky bolts on the hard top not threading right upon reinstallation of the top? I have one single bolt that I can get restarted and I'm wondering if I stripped it when I removed it or something. (The manual sucks - it should have included a picture of what these nonstandard "trapped" bolts looked like so you know what to expect.)

Is this common? Every other bolt was easy as pie - this one just one start.

:huh:
Just put more force into it. I struggled with this the first couple times until I realized I only needed to add a little more force. Hope that solves it.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Re stripped a bolt:
When I bought my hardtop (two years after getting the car) it actually arrived with a stripped bolt in it. (driver front socket) Even worse, some monkey had ripped up the bolt with a pair of pliers in an attempt to unstick it and failed.

I had to take it to my local machine shop. While attempting to remove the bolt they ended up ripping out the entire bolt along with the metal piece the bolt screws into. (envision a gaping hole in the roof where the socket used to be) They then fabricated a new setting and epoxied it back into the hardtop. The dealer I ordered from sent me a replacement bolt and paid for the work (about $200). From the job they did I suspect that socket is now more secure than the others in the hardtop.

So, yeah, it's happened to me...
- I found it impossible to remove the bolt. The shop did too.
- Removing the stuck bolt and the setting it was stuck in, and putting in a new setting costs about $200.

But... perhaps your bolt isn't stuck or stripped... you say it just won't thread in? Even the healthy bolts on my hardtop are difficult to start to thread in. You have to have the angle perfect and to make sure the metal clips / bracket things aren't pressing against the bolt causing it to be out of line with the sockets. For starters, just be very patient and make sure you are threading the bolt in perfectly straight.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah, you need to play around with manuevering them exactly into the threaded hole to screw in properly. I buggered mine so bad, I got a new set of four before the old ones got so bad I couldn't get them out. They ain't cheap. About $18-20 for a set of four.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
first time i removed my top, the passenger rear bolt was already stripped, in other words it was bolted on wrong from the factory...but dealer said they will not warranty stripped bolts...wth??? :shrug:

oh well found a way to secure it my own way...and will prolly just get a CF top later down the line

·
Registered
542 Posts
dead_ed

keep in mind the bolts are not threaded all the way, there is a non-threaded area in the middle. perhaps the bolt is in that area and needs better aligning to get out?

or if your stripped the inside of the 'torx' head, try using a vise-grip to get it off if there is some thread action.

after i had a problem i replaced the factory bolts with old-fashioned constant threaded bolts with an old-fashioned bolt head requiring a socket wrench. old-school but it works, and it's easy.

tom

·
Registered
204 Posts
I also replaced the rear bolts. Prevents skinning knuckles on seat belt bracket while trying to keep screwdriver straight to prevent stripping. And stipping anyway. It's a Metric 8 x 30, 1.25 pitch. That means 8 mm diameter, 30 mm of thread. This one takes a 12 mm socket.

I was concerned that without the non-threaded area in the OEM bolt, I would not be able to manipulate the bracket as necessary to install, but it proved not to be the case. Plenty of play with the bolt attached to the base nut.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts