The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know this has been covered (http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f270/retrofitting-center-hardtop-bracket-2005-6-a-90543/) but I was hoping for some guidance on what hardware to use. I received the bracket and the hex bolts but did not receive any well nuts -or whatever that is to be installed in the holes I drill.

Would anyone here have a suggestion on what I should buy from Fastenal to complete the install? Pics of the drilled holes would be most helpful but those that have R/R'd the top multiple times successfully without needing to address the nuts again would also suffice.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise, Ardent Red/Magnolia, Touring, Sport, Hard top, Traction Control, Limited Slip, 1 o
289 Posts
I did that particular mod to my top some time ago. The exact size of the wellnuts(or rawl nuts), I don't recall. The size is somewhat determined by the bolt size. You may want to check out your local Ace hardware and go through their hardware selection. I have found various size well nuts there for assorted projects. Don't forget to take one of the bolts with you. Give them a shot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take a bolt with me and look for something that expands when tightened. I am assuming that's what I need otherwise the nut will have little reason to stay in the top. I don't think a glue or epoxy would hold with that tension.

I also questioned, initially, if the bolts were to go straight into the top. May sound like a dumb question but when test-fitting it appeared as if the roof was lightyears away from the bracket. I didn't know if the bolts went in at an angle and leveled the bracket back to flat (horizontal) upon tightening. After seeing a pic, it looks like the bolts are to go straight into the top, keeping the bracket aligned with the roll bar cover and roof. -hope that made sense.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise, Ardent Red/Magnolia, Touring, Sport, Hard top, Traction Control, Limited Slip, 1 o
289 Posts
I don't know how much these will help but, here it is. The bolts do indeed go straight in and will pull the center of the top down. I would be suprised if you couldn't find wellnuts locally.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great, thank you very much! Now I have an approximate idea of the hardware, location and angle.

Really, thanks for the going through that! :shift:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts