The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's getting warm here in san diego, and it's time for the top to be taken off. since I never take the hard top off, i am just wondering if it's going to be pain in the ass. from what i read, it looks like a pretty straight forward, just unscrew few bolts and that's it. any tip on hard top removal?

also how about soft top installation? i never install the soft top. i think this one will give me more trouble than hard top, lol. i m more of removal kind of person than install, hehehhe

thanks.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
hard top removal is super easy. Take a quick look at the manual first. same thing with the soft top. The soft top is actually a pretty good design in terms of installing / removing. Once you've done it a couple of times you can do itin about 10 secs.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i already read the manual before i ask and it looks like it's pretty straight forward. i m just wondering that the manual might miss something as we all know what lotus is all about, missing few here and there, lol... :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Soft top is a good design, very easy to use.

I had to make some window adjustments as they didn't go up high enough to seal with the soft top. This requires removal of the door panels to adjust the stops.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you don't already have one, get yourself a T40 Torx screwdriver. It'll make your life much easier.

Sitting in the car:

1. Remove the header cover (3 torx screws)
2. Remove the 2 rear covers (velcro)
3. Loosen all 4 screws until they hit the "loose spot" (difficult to explain, but pretty easy to feel)
4. Rotate the rear clasps such that the warning sticker is against the roll hoop.
5. Lift and hold up the rear of the hard top.
6. While holding the rear of the top up, rotate the front pins 180 degrees out of their holes
7. Lower the rear of the top

Outside the car:

1. Lift evenly and carefully upward on one side of the top
2. Grasp the top at the front center and rear center.
3. Lift the top off the car.

That's my method, YMMV. Just did it yesterday.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
You needed to put the hard top ON for the winter in San Diego?? -poke-

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Before I got my Elise a concern was the soft top which resembled the design I had on my Viper, that "thing" was terrible. It was made up of struts which had to be tediously placed and connected and took 10 mins or more. To make things even worse it "always leaked bad. The Elise soft top however is a great design for something that is not "pulled up" like a conventional top, put instead "placed". As I have said before, I have been to the "Dark Side" but managed to be saved and I now see the "Light" !!!

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
pffft...

Hard top off or on in 5 minutes easy after you've done it once or twice.

xtn

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
another :up: for ease of removal. Can't say about installation since I have yet to put the hard top back on. :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Conan said:
another :up: for ease of removal. Can't say about installation since I have yet to put the hard top back on. :)
Ditto. Hard top is in the bag in the basement. Soft top is (usually) in the boot. We're enjoying a wonderful "false Spring" here in Colorado -- fifties-sixties through Saturday, warming up to a forecast 65 next Monday-Tuesday.

In Jimmy Buffett terms, "Ragtoppin' Day(s)." Finally! :clap: Something to make up for 34 consecutive days of snow (and 62 -- near record -- with measurable snow still on the ground). There are still some patches of compressed ice in the shadow of north-facing curbs that are slowly leaking water across the traffic lanes.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Keep braggin'... ;)

(current local temp: 15F and sunny)

lotusport said:
Ditto. Hard top is in the bag in the basement. Soft top is (usually) in the boot. We're enjoying a wonderful "false Spring" here in Colorado -- fifties-sixties through Saturday, warming up to a forecast 65 next Monday-Tuesday.

In Jimmy Buffett terms, "Ragtoppin' Day(s)." Finally! :clap: Something to make up for 34 consecutive days of snow (and 62 -- near record -- with measurable snow still on the ground). There are still some patches of compressed ice in the shadow of north-facing curbs that are slowly leaking water across the traffic lanes.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
///Mink said:
If you don't already have one, get yourself a T40 Torx screwdriver. It'll make your life much easier.
+1. I bought a craftsman T40 bit that fits nicely on my cordless driver (with adjustable torque). Made a 10min job about 2mins and my lazy arm doesn't get tired from turning and twisting. Letting technology work for me.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Hard top removal , easy peesy lemon squeezy, one person job

Hard top installation, mofo bitch fest, took me and a helper about 30 minutes to get the last screw in correctly, this using a really nice Torx driver I bought just for the occasion. My hard top comes off next weekend for the summer and when winter comes around I plan on having the dealer put it back on !

Soft top on and off is a breeze, just remember to be consistant in how you put it on or it will stretch out, look in the manual. You want to start from the same side each time when installing it and remove from the same side each time when removing. Was in 2 really heavy downpours last year with the soft top and very very minor leaking , like a drop of water once went down passengers side window.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Soft top is super easy. I love being at a red light and being able to take it off without getting out of my car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Remember, the owners manual states that you should not attempt to remove the hardtop while the vehicle is in motion. :huh:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
delise said:
My hard top comes off next weekend for the summer and when winter comes around I plan on having the dealer put it back on !
HUH?!? :huh:

WINTER? In Beverly Hills? You must be kidding. I took the hard top off my car within a couple of months of purchase (over two years ago) and it's been in the bag in the basement ever since -- in Colorado. And we've been griping about our excessively snowy winter here in Denver -- till this week, that is...:rolleyes:

Of course, the car stayed in the garage for 34 consecutive days when it was snowing... :D

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
lotusport said:
HUH?!? :huh:

WINTER? In Beverly Hills? You must be kidding. I took the hard top off my car within a couple of months of purchase (over two years ago) and it's been in the bag in the basement ever since -- in Colorado. And we've been griping about our excessively snowy winter here in Denver -- till this week, that is...:rolleyes:

Of course, the car stayed in the garage for 34 consecutive days when it was snowing... :D

You did not know? Beverly Hills winters can be brutal, we got almost an inch of rain in the past 3 months and the temperatures dipped down into the 60s !

Actually I really like the way the car looks with the hard top on, but I had it taken off when I picked up the car from Abe at Lotus South Bay. I decided I would put it on for the "rainy season" and live with it. I don't know if I will actually put it back on again, it is so much fun driving with the top off ! But the car does look sharp with the hard top on. Wish it was an easy / quick install......

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
delise said:
You did not know? Beverly Hills winters can be brutal, we got almost an inch of rain in the past 3 months and the temperatures dipped down into the 60s !

Actually I really like the way the car looks with the hard top on, but I had it taken off when I picked up the car from Abe at Lotus South Bay. I decided I would put it on for the "rainy season" and live with it. I don't know if I will actually put it back on again, it is so much fun driving with the top off ! But the car does look sharp with the hard top on. Wish it was an easy / quick install......
LOL! I almost spit out my coffee when I read that! :clap:

I have to agree 100%. I love the looks of the car with the hard top. OTOH, like you, I'm a rag-toppin' kind of guy. :cool:

Sort of hard to have it both ways. Now if we could rig one of those power convertible hard tops... :D

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
lotusport said:
LOL! I almost spit out my coffee when I read that! :clap:

I have to agree 100%. I love the looks of the car with the hard top. OTOH, like you, I'm a rag-toppin' kind of guy. :cool:

Sort of hard to have it both ways. Now if we could rig one of those power convertible hard tops... :D
Put your flame suit on for the "power convertible hard top adding weight" comments! ;) They are cool and getting more common all the time. But I guess we'd some kind of power roll hoop that drops down, too.

Tom

·
Registered
935 Posts
RoadDad said:
+1. I bought a craftsman T40 bit that fits nicely on my cordless driver (with adjustable torque). Made a 10min job about 2mins and my lazy arm doesn't get tired from turning and twisting. Letting technology work for me.
I'd be real careful to keep the torque turned all the way down. It would be a nightmare to cross-thread the bolts.
I use a T40 screwdriver with a ball joint type tip. makes it easier to get into the corners.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts