The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok tomorrow is the day to put down my deposit (finally).

Given that the car has no place to store the hard top I am leaning toward not getting one (as long as the soft top doesn't leak). What is the general consensus with regard to getting the hard top option.

I did a search but I want current info. :D

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I ordered it...

I personally don't like the way soft tops look, and Chicago doesn't have the most convertible-friendly weather anyway.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I really never understood the whole hard top thing. I have had a convertible car for the last 6 years and I never seemed to need one. It's expensive and add's weight. You have another thing you have to store and take care of. You also can't take the factory hardtop with you other then when it's actually installed. All this for what??? No hardtop for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did you check out the gullwing? I'm going back and forth between the factor top and the gullwing. Talked to sector111 recently and they said target is sept...plenty of time for those of us who are just completing our frames now.

·
Registered
970 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
I really never understood the whole hard top thing. I have had a convertible car for the last 6 years and I never seemed to need one. It's expensive and add's weight. You have another thing you have to store and take care of. You also can't take the factory hardtop with you other then when it's actually installed. All this for what??? No hardtop for me. If I wanted that then i wouldn't buy a convertible or a targa car. I would just have waited for an Exige :D

doesnt necessarily add weight...matter of fact, the E46 M3 convertable weighs few 100 lbs more than hardtop/coupe...I got the hardtop cause I want the choice depending on what kind of mood Im in. Like you, I would rather have exige too but Im not willing to wait that long for it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I will need the hard top for the fall and winter seasons. My car will wear the top 24-7 until it warms up enough to go topless. Then it will be stored until it is cold again.

Plus the hard top looks cool.

-Whit

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I ordered the hardtop at the request of my wife. She really liked the look. I figure it will be like owning two cars for the price of one - a cool convertible most of the year and a sharp looking coupe during our short southern California winter.

Beware, apparently hard top installation is not quick and simple, so it doesn't sound practical to shift from coupe to convertible on a frequent basis. And it does impede access in and out of the car, although you might get used to that.

The gull wing looks interesting, but appears to cost even more than the standard hard top. And you are left with the t-bar even if the top panels are stored in the boot.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I ordered the hard top also. Where I live we actually get 4 seasons so the hard top will see some use.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'll probably get it so it's painted at the same time as the car. It may be used up to a month a year ...

·
Registered
148 Posts
We get 4 seasons in the UK too, and to be honest most think the hardtop isn't really worthwhile. I'd be inclined to agree.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
DanH said:
We get 4 seasons in the UK too, and to be honest most think the hardtop isn't really worthwhile. I'd be inclined to agree.
I know that you don't have summer, so what are the 4 seasons? ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Didn't order it as we only get about 14 or so days of rain per year in LA.

Had an SLK AMG and never put the top up unless I washed it!

Waste of money for me which I instead put towards LSS.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I will be getting the hard top. I think the car looks much better with it. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Here is SoCal, the soft top is more than enough for any time of year. The hard top is expensive, and would command some space in the garage where it would live out its dusty life.

If it would slide into the trunk, it would be much more compelling.

I intend to get really good at putting the soft-top on, so I can do it quickly for any extended stops -- just to keep out the dirt, leaves, bird gifts, etc.

Anytime the car is rolling, the top will be rolled up. The cost made it easy to Decline.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
mact3333 said:
doesnt necessarily add weight...matter of fact, the E46 M3 convertable weighs few 100 lbs more than hardtop/coupe
that comparison is about as sharp as the leading edge of a baseball. ;) Of course a coupe version weighs less than a convertable because there is no convertable top mechanism. The Elise, however, is neither a coupe nor a convertable - it's a targa, and the hard targa-top does weigh more than the canvas targa-top.

:confused:

I would get a hard-top, but I'm going to hold off & see what the gull-wing top is like (hopefully someone around here will get one first). You can always order the hard top later. ;)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
XconZ said:
I will be getting the hard top. I think the car looks much better with it. Just my opinion though.
i agree and that's why i'm getting it also.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
the Elise hard top adds a very sweet "look" to the car - as for function i have never really even put the soft tops up on my cars even when its cold, just wear my leather jacket, gloves, and elmer fud hat.

...that hardtop looks sweet though - i will probably get one for pure vanity reasons!!!!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Im ordering the hardtop. I am going to get one of those rusty chrome racks for the hood so I can bungey it down! (just kidding on the second part)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Look Colin

C'mon guys! Is it really about the look? Colin Chapman is spinning...spinning...spinning in his grave.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts