The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please provide comparision on hard top vs soft top

Can one person can remove hard top?
Do you get the soft top with the hard top?

Does hard top make any difference or is it just personal preference?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
One person can easily remove the hardtop without assistance. It helps to be a little flexible to get to all the screws.

Yes, you still get the soft top if you order the hardtop.

I haven't noticed much difference between the two, except for of course looks.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
One more thing - the hardtop is bigger than you think. When you take it off the car, you need a fair amount of space to store it, and of course need to do so in a way that will protect it.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
MattG said:
One person can easily remove the hardtop without assistance. It helps to be a little flexible to get to all the screws.
Screws? You mean the hard top is actually screwed in place?! :confused:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hard top is unbeatable in looks!

Soft top may be quieter of the two.

Without a hard top, some tracks may not allow you to run the car.

Soft top is free with the car!

Hard top may be warmer in colder climate.

Soft top takes less storage space and is easier to clean.

and so on ...

If I had an extra $1500 to spend I would buy the hard top.

The choice is yours. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Screws? You mean the hard top is actually screwed in place?! :confused:
Yep. From what I saw, I don't think it's the kind of thing you'd want to remove and put back on daily ... more of a seasonal thing. That said, I've never actually tried to remove one myself.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
There are four screws holding the hardtop on, plus three(?) securing the trim piece at the front (velcro is used for the rear trim pieces). It's not something I'd want to remove every day, it's a bit inconvenient.

·
Banned
270 Posts
There are four brackets which hook into the upper frame and are then tightened. Really quite simple and rather ingenious. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes to remove or reinstall, can easily be done by one person. Took mine off the other day, looked at the car, totally different appearance without the hardtop, kind of less aggressive. Anyway, went for a short spin, when I got home the top went right back on, I doubt if it will come off again soon.

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel
LSS will be gone soon, all of the sudden my drivers seat is loose, the roads over here simply are beating the crap out of the car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi From an S1 Owner in the UK.
Hard top is the way to go in the winter time + it looks pretty good as well.

I can easily remove the hardtop by my self (3 bolts @ front, 2 clips @ rear), so when i want a nice winter morning blast with the roof off i can.
Pics below

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts