The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought I was pretty hardcore… My plan was to daily drive my 06' Lotus Elise… I gave in after 2 months and 2,000 miles. I'm happy to report my little Elise will now be a weekend/track/fair weather car. My DD is now a Honda Fit Sport.

Attachments

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,603 Posts
Operational definition of sanity.

It also seems to make driving it more of an event for me. When I DD mine I start to get a little resentful of all the sacrifices and collateral damage to my body after only 3 days !

I am not one of you fortunate 20 or 30 somethings driving one of these things !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Operational definition of sanity.

It also seems to make driving it more of an event for me. When I DD mine I start to get a little resentful of all the sacrifices and collateral damage to my body after only 3 days !

I am not one of you fortunate 20 or 30 somethings driving one of these things !
rotfl So true!

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Good common sense.

But that will go out the window now because you have a green light for more mods. When you seriously consider a trailer it's too too late.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I honestly thought I could DD my Exige too, but thinking about all those blown tires/debris/trash I seem to hit every year with my old car, I couldn't do it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Luckily I don't have to daily my Elise either. With that said though, I don't think I'd have a problem with doing so. Parking is the only thing that really worries me when I take the car out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Still daily driving my Exige Club Racer after a year and a half (four years into ownership), shared with my old Land Rover Defender. 37 miles each direction into Austin; additional miles if I go out to lunch (often) and/or have to run errands. Less than three years before I hit 50!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Four years of daily driving my Elise.

One cross-country trip under my belt.

Just passed 100,000 km.

A few weeks ago I drove my wife's Mazda 6 to work and I was really bored with that ride.

You might be back to DD your Elise sooner than you think.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Out of all of the cars why choose a Honda Fit Sport lol? What about Audi, BMW,...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Unfortunately, I have this thing called "winter" :(

It really ****in' sucks. But, now that you have a primary driver, you can get the Elise on a specialty insurance policy and save a boatload!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I daily'd my 05 Elise (about 8 months) until I moved to the DC area, now I take the metro. I just recieved my orders to a unit in the area that is not metro friendly. I really dont want to daily the Elise around here, due to horrible roads and bad drivers (car is currently in the body shop due to a hit and run). Looking at maybe getting a Miata for a daily.

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
I've been daily driving my Elise nearly ever since I bought it. Sold the other car, so I have no choice :)
5K miles and no issues, feel like a rockstar every day. It's got the heart of a toyota for christ's sake, DRIVE IT!!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Out of all of the cars why choose a Honda Fit Sport lol? What about Audi, BMW,...
There's something to be said about DD'ing a cheap ****box you don't care about. I say that lovingly, as it is the plan I ascribe to.
Or, maybe he's just not a fan of CELs. :p

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I've been daily driving my Elise nearly ever since I bought it. Sold the other car, so I have no choice :)
5K miles and no issues, feel like a rockstar every day. It's got the heart of a toyota for christ's sake, DRIVE IT!!!!

It's not the drivetrain I'm worried about, its the body with the same strengh as an egg shell....and overheating in DC traffic.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's not the drivetrain I'm worried about, its the body with the same strengh as an egg shell....and overheating in DC traffic.
Usually I'd tell you to stop being a wuss reach down and grab a pair. Unfortunately you're so very right about this. No matter how awesome of a car you have, DC traffic is killer.

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
Those may be legit concerns, but you can save the money that would've been spent on a beater car and use it to fix the Lotus as problems arise :evil:

Personally, I would only sell the lotus if I had to move somewhere with super long winters. I want to drive it indefinitely and I can't do that if the salt and slush eats the chassis! :sad:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Those may be legit concerns, but you can save the money that would've been spent on a beater car and use it to fix the Lotus as problems arise :evil:

Personally, I would only sell the lotus if I had to move somewhere with super long winters. I want to drive it indefinitely and I can't do that if the salt and slush eats the chassis! :sad:

I'll never sell my lotus! Even if I get stationed in Alaska! I may only be able to drive it a couple months out of the year, but I will be driving the hell out of it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts