The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my bolts wont go in all the way. I think maybe the hardtop might be stripped? Has this happened to anyone? If so what should I do to fix the problem?

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Can you find a matching bolt and try to put that in, just to see if it works?

Also, press down on h/t with one hand so it's seated.

Jim Clayton makes nice h/t bolts. You can find him here, I think.

Or, if threads are really ng, you can use tap on hole, die on bolt to clean up threads.

Keep us posted.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Won't go in all of the way or won't start? If it won't go in all of the way and it isn't the unique OEM bolts, the replacements are probably too long - if they aren't cross-threaded. I had a heck of a time starting one of mine this weekend. Never had a problem finding the hole before. Must be old age.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OEM bolt will go in just fine when you first start it and then when you get past the skinny part there is a second small thread. Im going to take my top off all the way this week and mess around with it.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
And...

Please don't wait.
Lubricate.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
One of my OEM bolts takes forever to go in properly.

However if I am patient and try it 30 times from slightly different angles it does go in properly.

I suspect you have the same situation. 29 times it will get stuck part way in, then the 30th time it goes in smoothly and perfectly.

Good luck.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
most likely stripped.

get a thread cutter for the top. clean the threads.

then grease up the bolt a little. (but check that to see if the threads didn't get smashed.)

go slow and don't force the bolt.

·
Such Administrating
6,857 Posts
I'd take the top off...and see if it goes in easily with it off. If not, just tap the thread with it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts