The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tried removing the hard top on my 06 Elise and ran into some problem with one of the rear passenger side bolt. The bolt head stripped my mechanic over torque them, I can still get the torx in the bolt but it slips. Don't want to keep trying and further damage the head of the bolts. Any tips on how to get the bolt out also where can I find the replacement hardware. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
If it isn't stripped too bad, you can press the roof down with one hand and try to loosen it with the other. This relieves the tension on the bolt and can make it spin easier. If that doesn't work, use a dremel cutoff wheel to make a slot on the bolt and turn it into a flathead screw.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If it isn't stripped too bad, you can press the roof down with one hand and try to loosen it with the other. This relieves the tension on the bolt and can make it spin easier. If that doesn't work, use a dremel cutoff wheel to make a slot on the bolt and turn it into a flathead screw.
Totally agree with the idea of pushing down on the roof, I push down a little when I install the roof and find that I can get a little extra bit of a turn. I found my roof loose one time, which scared me :surprise: so I check them often. You don't have a metal-to-metal contact when putting these on so vibrations can loosen them. I also put a little Teflon lube on the bolts to prevent corrosion, which may actually work against me as far as keeping the bolts tight, because I feel the trade off is worth it.
Another pair of ideas is either to just try flat head screwdriver bits until you find one that is tight and tap it in or, if you have a bit that you don't mind maybe sacrificing, epoxy the bit into the bolt and try in a few hours.
Good luck! :up:

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
811 Posts
Because it can get wet, roof fasteners, in particular benefit from a lubricant on the threads - that makes it less likely that a fastener will get chewed up. 3carmonte found you the parts (do replace with an equivalent part because you want the stock Torx wrench to work on everything). Graphite would work OK if you have a black interior. I don't think I'd use anti-seize on anything, because it seems to get everywhere. I'd probably go for a dry lube as used on fishing gear, guns, etc.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
If everything else fails, I would just drill the old bolt head out until the head pops off.
Less chance of collateral damage compared to trying to cut a slot with a Dremel.

Jim C has the replacement bolts: JCR Tool and Die

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, going to push down on the roof to see if it helps if not a Dremel should do the trick. The JCR bolts look much better than stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts