The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be better to post in this forum, since this question is climate-specific.

I like open-top driving, and that was a factor in my purchase. I used to have my Elise in Estonia, where the summers aren't hot so it was a no-brainer -- hardtop for October-April, and topless in summer.

I did the same last year here in Maryland, but it also gets quite steamy on a typical summer day. What do others do during the summer here? I have a road trip planned to the Virginia Beach area next month, and I'm not sure I want to sit many hours in I-95 traffic cooking in my car.

Another alternative I thought of would be to use the soft top on longer trips in summer, and go topless for shorter trips around town, since I won't notice the heat as much then.

Any advice? I've been traveling so much the last two months that I haven't had time to remove the hardtop, and now I'm wondering if I should...

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I thought it would be better to post in this forum, since this question is climate-specific.

I like open-top driving, and that was a factor in my purchase. I used to have my Elise in Estonia, where the summers aren't hot so it was a no-brainer -- hardtop for October-April, and topless in summer.

I did the same last year here in Maryland, but it also gets quite steamy on a typical summer day. What do others do during the summer here? I have a road trip planned to the Virginia Beach area next month, and I'm not sure I want to sit many hours in I-95 traffic cooking in my car.

Another alternative I thought of would be to use the soft top on longer trips in summer, and go topless for shorter trips around town, since I won't notice the heat as much then.

Any advice? I've been traveling so much the last two months that I haven't had time to remove the hardtop, and now I'm wondering if I should...
You need to get the Taylor Mesh Top. It's inexpensive and fantastic.

Search for it on the forum. Great stuff!

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Wow, you went thru all that trouble to get your car to Estonia and registered there just to ship it back to the US? Did you sell the car in the motherland and buy a new one? Or did you ship it back again?
Thinking about it a bit more - I might be in the same situation soon if things work out...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The A/C works, if you have it and most everyone does, with the soft top as well as with the hardtop. I haven't taken my hardtop off yet, but I usually do after the beginning of April and put it on at the end of November. Thursday is going to be perfect for a top off drive!

Plus, you can do a LeMans start with the top off!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, you went thru all that trouble to get your car to Estonia and registered there just to ship it back to the US? Did you sell the car in the motherland and buy a new one? Or did you ship it back again?
Thinking about it a bit more - I might be in the same situation soon if things work out...
Shipped it back to the US when I moved back. I didn't know at the time I bought the Elise that I'd be moving back.

Basically since I had a shipping container to send my belongings to the US, it didn't really cost much more to put an Elise in there as well. Getting it registered in the US was not too difficult, since it already had a US title in the past.

The other issue is the car is rare. I had certain requirements when I looked for my Elise, and it's difficult to find another that meets your requirements and is also in good shape. Going with a "known quantity" has its benefits.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I, like Sam, put my hard top on around November and take it off again in the spring.

When it is really hot around DC, I just use the AC. I have a digital thermostat upgrade I need to install. For short trips, I peel off the roof and toss it in the trunk. Zipping around in the Elise with the windows down and the top off is the best, and is fine till temps hit about 89.

Good to see you over the winter. We'll have to meet at Katies sometime!

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Shipped it back to the US when I moved back. I didn't know at the time I bought the Elise that I'd be moving back.

Basically since I had a shipping container to send my belongings to the US, it didn't really cost much more to put an Elise in there as well. Getting it registered in the US was not too difficult, since it already had a US title in the past.

The other issue is the car is rare. I had certain requirements when I looked for my Elise, and it's difficult to find another that meets your requirements and is also in good shape. Going with a "known quantity" has its benefits.
That is very good to know!
I have an original US title but with an "Export" stamp on it, and one of my concerns is that I might run into trouble when trying to get the car registered again in the US at some point.
I know that financially it makes no sense to not sell in Europe and then buy "new" in the US but I don't care about that aspect. Sentimental aspect...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is very good to know!
I have an original US title but with an "Export" stamp on it, and one of my concerns is that I might run into trouble when trying to get the car registered again in the US at some point.
I know that financially it makes no sense to not sell in Europe and then buy "new" in the US but I don't care about that aspect. Sentimental aspect...
My title had the export stamp on it also. I worked with a customs lawyer to ensure its smooth arrival. As I recall (this was about two years ago), I had to write a letter saying the car was for my personal use and being imported as part of my personal belongings. However, on the Maryland title for the car, there's no restrictions listed so I assume I can sell it without restriction if I'd like to. Also note I had to pay MD tax when registering the car, though I never paid this when I first bought it (also in MD) as the car was being exported and was not registered in MD.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to get the Taylor Mesh Top. It's inexpensive and fantastic.
Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to try it out (and we've had quite pleasant weather lately), but maybe next week.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need to get the Taylor Mesh Top.
Just wanted to report back on this. This last weekend was sunny and hot, so I tried it topless and with the mesh top. The mesh top definitely makes a difference. It blocks a lot of the sun but still gives an open feel.

I think my new driving plans for the summer will be mesh top during the day, and topless in the evenings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts