The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

I just bought an Elise last night and am having a problem getting the hardtop on correctly. The top seems to be seated properly with the front brackets of the top inserted into the windshield header. But when I go to tighten the two Torx bolts all they do is spin and will not tighten. The rears are fine.

I called two dealers and both said they've never heard of the happening. Since that part of the top is enclosed, I can't see what's happening inside. Anyone experience this before? Thought on how to correct this. TIA!

Jay

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Perhaps the threads just aren't catching? While pushing the bolts in and turning them, wiggle them around to help them locate and engage the mating threads. Those bolts can float around a lot when unfastened.

Can we assume that you removed the top from your Elise, and thus the front bolts did at one point in time work?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Another idea - be sure the front of the hardtop is sitting properly in its channel. Meaning, not sticking up much past the windshield header. You should be able to gently adjust it so it drops into place front and rear.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen to me last week on my first install of the hard top. The threads eventually caught after I gave the wrench a bit more upward pressure.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
catapult said:
I had exactly the same thing happen to me last week on my first install of the hard top. The threads eventually caught after I gave the wrench a bit more upward pressure.
+1

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My front pass. side wouldn't tighten.

My dealer got 'inserts' of some kind from Lotus to install to fix it, these didn't work and I am not awaiting a complete hardtop replacement.

If they are not tightening you should see a dealer about it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Donbecker said:
My front pass. side wouldn't tighten.

My dealer got 'inserts' of some kind from Lotus to install to fix it, these didn't work and I am not awaiting a complete hardtop replacement.

If they are not tightening you should see a dealer about it.
Mine was front pass aswell. Loosening the front driver's side also helped.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the top was previously installed so it must have worked for the other owner. Thanks all for the great advice, I'll give another try tonight.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
catapult said:
Mine was front pass aswell. Loosening the front driver's side also helped.
Mine just kept turning and turning and turning and turning and turning and turning...you get the idea.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi JayJ:

I haven't tried to remove the hard top on my '06 yet, so this thread caught my eye! In the owner's manual on page 86 it explains the procedure for installing the top. You didn't say whether you read it or not, but it gives some helpful (?) advice.

Paragraph 1 says to position the rear edge of the roof first.

Paragraph 2-4 cautions to NOT fully tighten the bolts until all are threaded (front and rear).

And finally, paragraph 6 says to push the roof fully forward before tightening the bolts.

Hope you figure it out - and then tell ME how! :D

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
FWIW, the bolts neck down to no thread roughly 1/4" up from the end. So, they look like....

~1/4" threaded
~3/8" slender (about 3/16" thick) with no thread
~1/2" threaded
T40(?) head

It's not a continuous thread and it can make them a bit of a pain to get in.

·
Registered
211 Posts
tighten the back two bolts first.
I consulted the manual because i was frustrated. Not only does it not explain properly or in order, they say you should take it to the dealer!
ha

·
Registered
13 Posts
As mentioned in post #11 above, the bolts are a strange configuration - that gives them a ton of wiggle, but they must line up properly to engage (ie. means you've got to fiddle with them a lot just to get them to line up).

Also, the bolts are not very long. On mine, I have to gently press down on the top (to compress the rubber gaskets) in order for the bolts to be long enough to engage the threads.

Be VERY careful, its easy to strip them and then you've got a bigger problem.

Not real sure that the order matters (front vs rear), but don't tighten any until all 4 are started.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wind Whistle with Hardtop

I have adjusted my windows and eliminated the gaps on my 06. I just installed the hardtop for the first time and at 65mph and up it whistles louder than my stage 2 exhaust. If you reach back and pull down a little on the center of the top it stops. The conclusion is it needs to be pulled just a bit tighter down. Are the brackets on the car adjustable where the hardtop hooks in? Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
Pull your top back off and see if you can thread the torx bolts with it off the car. If so you only need to loosen the rear bolts and reposition the top while it is on the car to get the front bolts to thread. Use a centering punch or other metal dowel to make sure that the bolt and the threads are lined up.

ken

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Two things that helped me in putting my hard top on for the first time this winter:
1. An assitant to push down on the top while I was pushing up on the bolts, along with the 2nd helpful item......
2. A proper T40 torx screw driver (vs the rather lame tool supplied )
http://www.bloomertool.com/TorxScrewdrivers.html
you can also find them at pretty much any good hardware store, even sears

The very last bolt in the back drivers side was a mo-fo to get, but with my assitant pushing down hard and me pushing up hard with the driver it finally caught !

The windows lined right up and seal perfectly, no leaks, and have been in some heavy down pours recently.
I have had it up to about 115 mph with the hard top on , and it is much quiter than the soft top, no whistling or wind noise at all !

According to the manual, the order you tighten them in DOES indeed matter, read the manual, carefully, go over it in your mind step by step. Some of their instructions are not totally clear at first glance.

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is what I ended up doing to my rears...i threaded the bolts with the top off the car and kept them just loose enough to still clamp on properly. it worked.

but still i'm going to see a dealer and because it shouldnt require that extra step.

my only fear is the paint on a new hard top won't match..
Ken Wright said:
Pull your top back off and see if you can thread the torx bolts with it off the car. If so you only need to loosen the rear bolts and reposition the top while it is on the car to get the front bolts to thread. Use a centering punch or other metal dowel to make sure that the bolt and the threads are lined up.

ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts