The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the hardtop will provide more or less headroom than the soft top? I am not a big convertible fan and was actually thinking of using the hardtop full time (I know it's crazy, probably the only Elise owner who will do this).

But was wondering if my 6'2" frame was going to be a bit tight with the hardtop on.

TIA

·
Registered
279 Posts
You won't have any head space problem when you fit a hardtop. It doesn't take any extra space, conpared to the normal roof.
Even I at 6'4" don't have any problem at all...

btw, what color did you choose your Elise?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Z0650TH said:
Anyone know if the hardtop will provide more or less headroom than the soft top? I am not a big convertible fan and was actually thinking of using the hardtop full time (I know it's crazy, probably the only Elise owner who will do this).

But was wondering if my 6'2" frame was going to be a bit tight with the hardtop on.

TIA
I don't think it's crazy, I will probably use the hardtop all the time as well. I just don't like the look of the soft top on the elise (or for that matter, on any car). It just seems to destroy the lines of the car.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I'll probably affix a hardtop to my Elise, too.... unless, of course, news of the Exige becomes available before I take delivery on it :)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Can someone post a picture of what the hardtop looks like if you were looking up at it from insude the car? Does it have a headliner or is it just unfinished fiberglass?

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
Originally posted by xxxotic
Does it have a headliner or is it just unfinished fiberglass?
that's a good question. i didn't even bother checking that at the la auto show. my guess is that it's the same as the top. I think it would be easy for lotus to just paint the whole damn thing and ship it. no cloth inserts or anything is my guess.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have seen a hardtop on a standard S2 elise. not raw fibreglass on the inside but I don't think there was sound-deadening fabric either. Might be different for the 111r given the touring pack is quite luxurious (all relative realy)

Hardtop looks good from certain angles but not a fan of how it accentuates the very angular side window line of the elise - doesn't seem consistent with rest of the car - IMHO

·
Registered
712 Posts
According to the Lotus Elise Car Configurator, the Hard Top is:

- Color Matched
- Cloth Roof Lining

So, I too wonder how thick that lining is. I'm 6'4", and when I sat in the 111S, I had no more than 1" to spare between my head and the soft top. I hope the humps on the top actually give it a little more space. Then maybe I could slouch and wear a helmet with a hardtop.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm also getting the hardtop, as I'm not really into convertibles (although I'll probably be "converted" by the Elise).

My guess is that the hardtop will certainly "bottle in" the engine and road noise, as the car really doesn't have any sound insulation in base form. It may get pretty boomy/noisy, especially if you went droning along the highway (I can't imagine why you would, though).

Time will tell...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
well, being more of a targa than a convertible it is not so windy inside as you might guess. compared to an open convertible. and open air is the best there is :)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
gerry, I believe you will. My husband is 6'2 and with his helmet on in our miata he typically has to put the roof down. We sat in an elise with a hardtop on and he thinks he'll fit with helmet on and roof on in the Elise.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
At the LAAS, I was able to pass my 6 foot, stiff-necked frame under the hardtops. I had been concerned with the S2 because, as this autocross photo shows...
...I don't fit too well in an S1.

For me, the S1 lacks shoulder space, I have to crook my head to see out of the windscreen, and my helmet crosses the plane of the roof-line.

Needless to say, my experience with the show cars made me a buyer instead of a whiner.
And the best part is I'm now 20 lbs lighter, so I'm more than ready to hop in and out of my laser-blue! :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Re: Re: Hardtop question

gmoneyjive said:
I don't think it's crazy, I will probably use the hardtop all the time as well. I just don't like the look of the soft top on the elise (or for that matter, on any car). It just seems to destroy the lines of the car.

I'd prefer to have a double personality car :). A roadster for summer time, and a coupe for winter...

Once you'll have it, and drive it open you'll understand what I mean... :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice thing about a "targa" type roof is that it let's in lots of sun and you still get that "open-air" convertible feel- and better visibility. On the other hand if it gets a bit chilly, roll up the windows and turn on the heater- stays much warmer (with less wind buffeting as posted earlier) than a full convertible. Great for those Spring/Fall days that start or end with colder temperatures.

Plus, you'll want to take your top off more often than you think- it's the best way to hear all those great engine sounds emanating from behind ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ancient Wedgie said:
At the LAAS, I was able to pass my 6 foot, stiff-necked frame under the hardtops. I had been concerned with the S2 because, as this autocross photo shows...
...I don't fit too well in an S1.

For me, the S1 lacks shoulder space, I have to crook my head to see out of the windscreen, and my helmet crosses the plane of the roof-line.

Needless to say, my experience with the show cars made me a buyer instead of a whiner.
And the best part is I'm now 20 lbs lighter, so I'm more than ready to hop in and out of my laser-blue! :D
I am 6'3" and in my S1 I have no problems with the hard top and a helmet. However in a Vx220T I did have a problem and the roofline in this is more similar to the S2 elise as it is slightly lower and the seats are more padded.

In the picture above it looks to me as though the rear view mirror is mounted centrally. It should be mounted about 4 inches towards the passenger side so it does not obstruct the drivers view.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Thanks Bill, for the added experience.

It is I who is in the passenger seat. MW at the wheel (who fits quite well in her seat) of Fastspider's S1 (adaptation with the Integra engine so he could license it in the states).

As you can see, the mirror is well out of MW's line of sight. The biggest problem I recall was shoulder space -- and, though I didn't mention it before, my entry-exit, which was far less graceful than Lillie's. ;)

At 6',3", what is your inseam size? Mine is only 30", which makes me a bit proportionally longer in the torso perhaps. (Or Fastspider's passenger seat was maybe a bit higher?)

At any rate, though I had trouble with the height and breadth of that S1's passenger side, I didn't have any with the show car S2's

Gil

·
Registered
299 Posts
How does the hardtop connect to the top of the car. Is it bolts or clamp type setup or what?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts