The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All--

After about 1000 straight days of rain here in the SF Bay Area it was finally nice enough today to take the top off for the first time :)

The screws on the hardtop are torx, but the little tool kit I got with the car has a two allen wrenches, a wheel lug key, and a tow ring, but no torx (as the manual says it should). Did I get shorted or did I get a wrong tool?

Fortunately I had the right size torx elsewhere so I was able to enjoy the sunshine :)

--Paul

IMG_0242.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,032 Posts
same thing happened to me, August 2005 build. I'm not sure if they switched from allen to torx at some point and the tool kit didn't catch up. Anyway I bought a nuber t40 torx screw driver from:

http://www.bloomertool.com/TorxScrewdrivers.html

As someone else mentioned in another post and it works great and is really good quality too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It came installed, so if that's where it is then the dealer scarfed it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
I thought the same thing. If you look close again...you will see one of the "allen" wrenches actually has torx on the end.

Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Did you not get a bag that came with your car for the hardtop? My hardtop came was also already on the Elise when I bought it, but I got a bag for the hardtop that came wrapped in plastic. Look very carefully in this plastic bag; I initially didn't see the torx wrench. If it's not, you need to have a chat with your dealer.

I just took my top off for the first time today. Wow, was it amazing. I don't think I'll actually ever use a top again on it. The hardtop wasn't exactly the easiest thing to remove, and the soft top will suit the purpose of keeping the bugs out in the winter while in the garage. I wish I didn't spend that extra cash! It does look really cool with the hardtop, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
My 2006 came with the torx wrench for the roof bolts in the little tool pouch. The roof bag was still sealed in its own plastic bag in the boot.

Once I got the roof off, I noticed two bolts are longer than the other two. Can anybody tell me if the longer bolts go in the front or the rear?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
CarNut said:
My 2006 came with the torx wrench for the roof bolts in the little tool pouch. The roof bag was still sealed in its own plastic bag in the boot.

Once I got the roof off, I noticed two bolts are longer than the other two. Can anybody tell me if the longer bolts go in the front or the rear?
Hmm, my bolts are sort of captive to the hard top. You don't have to completely remove the bolts to get the top off, so in fact I think you went a bit too far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Eclise said:
I just took my top off for the first time today. Wow, was it amazing. I don't think I'll actually ever use a top again on it. The hardtop wasn't exactly the easiest thing to remove, and the soft top will suit the purpose of keeping the bugs out in the winter while in the garage. I wish I didn't spend that extra cash! It does look really cool with the hardtop, though.
I felt the same way. I took mine off about a month after I bought it, and the hardtop hasn't been back on since. It looks great, but the car is completely different with it off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Whats different? Ok, ok, I know top down motoring experience and all that. I haven't had mine off (still water logged in the Bay Area with more coming) but I've ridden in one with it off. I do know that the top doesn't add any structural support so one can feel free to take it off for an auto-x or track day (as long as your helmet stays within the height of the roll bar you should be ok).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
pixlpush said:
Anyway I bought a nuber t40 torx screw driver from:
You can also pick up a Craftsman version at your local Sears store for a few bucks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
Yesterday was a nice day, back to rain today though :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
def said:
Yesterday was a nice day, back to rain today though :(
Yeah - dammit! Washed the car yesterday in preparation for today and look out the window this morning to find it is raining AGAIN :mad: :wallbang:

I say enough already with the rain... I didn't move to San Jose from Germany to be stuck with this constant rain - could have stayed there for that ;)

BTW, saw a nice GG today at 1:20pm on Montague expressway going West just after 880. From the sound of it he was just hitting 2nd cam as he passed me going the other way (not in the Elise, though) :D

Good to see that not everybody is deterred by the rain.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
TimMullen said:
You can also pick up a Craftsman version at your local Sears store for a few bucks...
I appreciate the fact that you guys may want a nicer version of the wrench than that which came with the car (or in some of your cases, SHOULD have come with the car). However, the fact is that the wrench SHOULD have come with the car. You should call up the dealership and ask where your wrench is. You paid for the tool, and you should have the dealership give it to you. If it's too far to drive to your dealership, just have them mail it to you; it's not that big of a tool.

But Tim's right, you can get a better version at Sears (they've got a Swiss Army version that my dad bought which has lots of sizes all in one). I think the size that works in ours is a 40 (or was it 30?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
srwhitman said:
Whats different? Ok, ok, I know top down motoring experience and all that. I haven't had mine off (still water logged in the Bay Area with more coming) but I've ridden in one with it off. I do know that the top doesn't add any structural support so one can feel free to take it off for an auto-x or track day (as long as your helmet stays within the height of the roll bar you should be ok).
Well, to me the aural experience is different, for one. I have the touring option, so maybe there's not as much difference if you don't have the extra insulation? I have never owned a convertible or targa before, so my only previous experience had been a couple of rentals in FL and Hawaii...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top