Votes: 98 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 37 27.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
This was one I was going to order and then decided not to.

Reasoning being the car with Touring and Sport is getting a bit expensive. I can always order a hardtop later and get it painted, that is really not a big deal. I am not sure how much I will really use it since you can't stow it in the trunk.

And I might look into gullwings later, or carbon fiber... or carbon fiber gull wings... yeah.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I order it cos it looks so fab on the car. Time wil tell if I have the patience to take it on and off .....

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'll be ordering the hard-top with the car, in order to have the option of using it - even though most of the year it probably will be off. In the winter it'll be nice to have, also for a little added security when that is needed. But mostly (I have to admit) because IMO the car just looks great with the hard-top ! :D

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I got it. I think it makes the car look different. Kinda like having two cars in one:)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Derek said:
I got it. I think it makes the car look different. Kinda like having two cars in one:)
yep, and I agree with all of mikester's comments too.

It was funny, because I actually overheard someone at the Show who thought that the red and yellow cars were actually coupes and the others were convertibles.

The hardtop is just integrated so well.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I ordered it because I want to do track days with this car. Most if not all driver schools now require hardtops when taking a car on a race track. This is because of insurance, they simply will Not allow any car with a soft top or convertible.

The club I run with NJ Chapter BMW CCA will Not allow any soft tops whatsoever. This is due to insurance reasons.

Lets face it gang the Elise will feel at home on any race track!!!!

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
172 Posts
Definitely hardtop.
1 - I live in Seattle.
2 - Loved the coupe look on the AR and SY in LA - felt BRG, MB & AS would have been just as striking w/ the HT installed.
3 - Like the way HT's looks on S2000, boxter, Z4.
4 - Easier to get in & out of then I expected.
5 - Little more difficult to break into (or slice) when downtown for a game.
6 - A little closer to the exige aesthetically.

A no brainer for me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I was not going to order the hardtop, but did because...

1) The matching of the color might be an issue if I wanted to get one later.

2) For security reasons, I'd like to be able to have the HT for long travels to the big, bad city.

3) The SY car at the auto show looked awesome with the HT in place.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Eddie Haskell said:
2) For security reasons, I'd like to be able to have the HT for long travels to the big, bad city.
Yeah, but for the same money, you could buy a junker car to use for those trips instead! ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
MattG said:
Yeah, but for the same money, you could buy a junker car to use for those trips instead! ;)

I don't think a 1980 Oldsmobile with a Landau top and burgandy, cordoroy interior would help with the ladies...it might help getting waves from pimps, but not the ladies... :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
I ordered the hardtop for less rational reasons... I intend to keep the Elise for a long time. In the Jaguar E-Type world, having the original top is rather valuable. So if ever I keep the Elise so long, I can say I have the "original hardtop".

DLY

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good point about resale value.
Considering I have 2 deposits out there and will probably shift whichever deposit comes in 2nd for a high # on the new Espirit......I guess the elise will be a good trade in.
I know it sounds crazy......thinking about deposits for a car not under development.......but I have a feeling it will be quite a car.
Considering I am several months out from ordering and impatient as hell it would be kinda cool knowing I am high on the next list.
So frustrated think I will go bash the crap out of that penguin again.........I guess it is OK to bash penguins but better leave the Californians alone (see ya Ridge). Hypocritical board :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
yep yep, hardtop

I am WAY down on the lists (#51 in Boston), but have already decided on getting the hardtop:

1) Looks great. As mentioned, almost makes the Elise look like a different car.
2) Makes tracking it easier. Had an M Roadster and couldn't track it without HT, figure it'll be same with this baby.
3) Agree with resale point. IF I ever sell it, original hardtops (and often options, e.g. touring pack) add to desireability. Not sure I will ever sell it though :eek:)
4) Better security than the soft top, for those day trips to NYC, when I park it in the wrong neighborhood.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Re: yep yep, hardtop

SportzNoShr said:
4) Better security than the soft top, for those day trips to NYC, when I park it in the wrong neighborhood.
At 15-20 minutes to put on (and presumably a similar time to remove) and nowhere to store it, I convinced myself I'd never wind up using it as a security feature.

I've lived with a ragtop year-round for 8 years - if it sees top-up temps, I'm wagering the soft top will do me just fine. Can't argue about how great the hardtop looks, though, or it's utility (necessity) at track events. ;)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I like the way the hardtop looks, but didnt order it since I will most likely never need it. In the event I want one, I'm sure I could probably find someone that wanted to sell theirs or find an aftermarket one. Besides $1500 seems like too much to pay for a small piece of fiberglass- the tinted plexiglass ones on a Vette arent even that much.

I'm curious, does anyone know what a replacement soft top costs from Lotus? I was thinking of going to a marine canvass dealer and see if they could make a top in a differant color for me since I'm sure the sunlight here will wear mine out pretty fast especially if it is black. Is the soft top just a large piece of fabric that could have the pattern traced or does it have clips and hooks that are built into it to?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have the hard top. Got it free from the dealer. Glad I did'nt pay for it as it's a total waste of time in Hong Kong. It's takes a while to fit and remove and each time you do this you risk scratching the paintwork.

It makes the car incredibly noisy and makes getting in and out an almost impossible task. I've used it probably a few days at the most.

It'll only be useful to those who are going to travel long distances. Other than that, the soft top is fine.

Here's mine with the top on:

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: yep yep, hardtop

SportzNoShr said:
I am WAY down on the lists (#51 in Boston), but have already decided on getting the hardtop:

1) Looks great. As mentioned, almost makes the Elise look like a different car.
2) Makes tracking it easier. Had an M Roadster and couldn't track it without HT, figure it'll be same with this baby.
3) Agree with resale point. IF I ever sell it, original hardtops (and often options, e.g. touring pack) add to desireability. Not sure I will ever sell it though :eek:)
Welcome SportzNoShr,
Nice to see another Boston area person on the board. When did you place your deposit? How has your experience with AM Boston been? Are you planning on using it only weekend/track or as a commuter during spring/summer/fall?
Dave

1 - 20 of 49 Posts