The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have some questions about hardtop fittings...

I bought a red hardtop and had it painted aubergine to match my car and the painters didn't line up the rubber seals (# 7 below) well.

I bought the # 7 seals so i can replace the old ones but they are not as thick as the rubbers originally on my top. I think my roof is from an earlier Elise.
Can anybody check the size of their seals to see which ones they have??

My next question is about # 21 is the pic above. I bought it and it ended up being quite a length of soft tape.
Does anybody use/have this on their hardtops?

Thanks

Brendon :)

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm glad to see you finally got your hardtop you were looking for. Did they do a good job matching the paint.

I will try to check mine later today the top is one right now but I an heading out soon and I wont be back till later.

I am pretty sure mine doesn't have the little piece of tape you mentioned (#21)
but maybe that's why it squeaks so much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paint was matched perfectly and now i have a car that doesn't leak :)

Thanks...yeah a concern i have is that the new seals i got will make the roof fit not firmly so thought i better check if these smaller seals are the norm for newer hard tops...

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
#21 above is, at least in my car, a strip of felt like material that keeps that bracket from scratching the paint on the car. It peels back occasionally and I put it back on. I would place it on the bracket to protect the paint. It covers the entire inner surface of the "U," wraps up and around the edge that contacts the car and proceeds to the under surface of the "U."

·
Registered
526 Posts
The #7 seal on my car looks like the one that is currently on your hardtop, the larger one. Did you just buy a new seal because the old one was damaged?

·
Registered
780 Posts
The one on the hardtop looks correct. The new one looks too small. I just looked at mine. I will take pics if you need them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

When the roof was resprayed the painters just re-used the original seals. The problem is that the seal stick up from the hardtop is some areas as it wasn't installed perfectly. I wasnt sure if i could re-apply the original seal for the 3rd time so i ordered the seal (#7) from elise-shop.

So now i have no idea why they sent me a smaller seal and a large roll of tape (#21) instead of a piece of felt :S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts