The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this harness, and now I want to put it in the car.

BUT.... I have not a clue as to how to do this. It came with these triangular brackets that look as though you are supposed to mount these to something that you mount to the car.

I am way confused. Can Y'all help a brother out :p

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
What kind of Harness? Who makes it? Pics?

Sounds like the kind that are supposed to use the standard seat belt mounting points?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I think normally you would use hardware like that shown in the top left for the stock lap belt mounting points. Many belts are designed that you can even leave in the stock belt and possibly replace with longer bolts.

I think the crotch belt and shoulder straps should not be mounted in the same manner, even if you could.

Some of this depends on your intent. If you plan on track or road stuff use, safety should be your primary concern. The shoulder belts should go to a rollcage or harness bar. If you do bolt to the car's body, you want to use the other hardware shown including the backing plates. Same with the crotch belt. You will not be able to use the stock shoulder harness mounting points. Make sure the shoulder harness does not go down at an extreme angle, that is not good for the spine.

Just my opinion. I am not an expert. You should probably get some expert advice if you are going to use this on the road or track.

The added complexity is why I went with a 3 point Schrothe harness. Easier to install.

If you only want this for autocross, I feel you can get away with a less robust installation.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't use the anti-sub strap unless you have a seat with an opening for it. If you simply wrap it up the front of a normal seat, there's a risk of severe groin trauma in an accident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Harness questions

Not sure if you ever got your question answered but...

As someone else posted, saftey should be your first concern with harnesses. Getting the right ones, mounted properly could save your life, mounted incorrectly could cause you harm. If you dont know exactly what you need, ordering from a catalog or online could be risky. There are many different ways to mount your harnesses depending on the type of car and other saftey equipment you have, such as roll bars or cages, and window nets or if you have a 'vert.

Luckily for me there is a place that sells harnesses and other saftey equipment that is really close in Fullerton. It's called Crow Enterprises. They make all their stuff there in the shop and they are a nice bunch of guys. They advertise in the SoPac newsletter (support those that support you!). When I needed to get a new set of harnesses, I went down there (just around the corner from me) and talked to them and they gave me lots of advice and sold me exactly what I needed. You can find them on the web at http://www.crowenterprizes.com/

Good luck,

Vince

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gunnar,

Your best bet is to install a bolt in roll bar with a seatback brace. Then you can just wrap the shoulder harnesses around the brace and double back through some slide bars. I had this set-up in my "other RX7" and plan to do it in my "other other RX7"

I might get real motivated next Sunday and install the roll bar in my T2 (current RX7). If I do, you can check out my harness system.

As for the lap belts, you can use the stock locations, with the stock bolts most of the time since that hardware isn't all that thick. if the seat belt mounting locations are offset, you're better off drilling through the floor board/frame rail and using backing plates in conjunction with your hardware.

Hope this does more good than harm.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to thank all of you for your help! :D

I have now put them in and I think that I even did it right ;)

See you all soon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts