The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back there was a post with a dimensioned picture of where to drill the lap mount holes. I've been searching for 1/2 an hour now, but can't find it. Can someone point me to it???

Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
you dont have the mounting hole there already?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Typically they are attached to the standard seat belt mounting structure. Sector 111 sells a kit to make this easy.

Jerry

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
here's my thread that has references to several of the better harness install threads. at least one of them has the layout.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41320

measure once, twice, then thrice, before you drill. and also consider moving the inboard drivers side outboard maybe a 1/4" more than is suggested. the clip for that belt really doesn't enjoy interacting with the seat support.

good luck.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Typically they are attached to the standard seat belt mounting structure. Sector 111 sells a kit to make this easy.

Jerry

some have gone that route. it's a personal choice. i didn't want to further load the seat shell and seat frame in the event of an impact. the s111 solution is definitely easier than going through the frame rail.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i was under the impression that there are threaded bolts and holes welded on to the roll bar 5 inchs south of the seat belt mounts?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
i was under the impression that there are threaded bolts and holes welded on to the roll bar 5 inchs south of the seat belt mounts?
hmmm. there are two seat frame mounts at the base of the bulkhead, into a channel within the frame rail. i don't think anyone has used these points directly. the s111 sandwich solution, eventually relies on these bolts to keep you connected to the car.

not sure of what you're referring. :shrug:

·
Registered
377 Posts
The following shows how the fasteners are attached with the Competition Seat Mount Kit which, unfortunately is not available in the US. If you are drilling through the tub make certain that you have some kind of plate to spread the force on any impact. The tub aluminum will tear out very quickly without some kind of doubling plate that spreads the load over at least 4 sq in.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=804756&postcount=17

Jerry

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone.

First, ACE10, I didn't see a thread referenced in your post, but I assume you're referring to the same post as jkolb's post?

What do people think about mounting the laps to the existing seatbelt mounts if the subs are also going to be mounted to the seat (Titanium Dave's bar if I can get them)? I need to do this because my girlfriend will be driving too so we need the adjustability. Some people have referenced reinforcing the seat mounts...how is this done?

What about mounting both the subs and the laps to the existing seat belt mounts???

So many options...so few brain cells to consider them all...

Thanks again everyone!
Tom

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
hmmm. there are two seat frame mounts at the base of the bulkhead, into a channel within the frame rail. i don't think anyone has used these points directly. the s111 sandwich solution, eventually relies on these bolts to keep you connected to the car.

not sure of what you're referring. :shrug:
I think exarkun is talking about the harness bar mounting location on the rear of the rollbar. The OP is referring to the lap belt mounting points and not a location to mount the harness bar, if I'm reading this correctly.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Thanks everyone.

First, ACE10, I didn't see a thread referenced in your post, but I assume you're referring to the same post as jkolb's post?

What do people think about mounting the laps to the existing seatbelt mounts if the subs are also going to be mounted to the seat (Titanium Dave's bar if I can get them)? I need to do this because my girlfriend will be driving too so we need the adjustability. Some people have referenced reinforcing the seat mounts...how is this done?

What about mounting both the subs and the laps to the existing seat belt mounts???

So many options...so few brain cells to consider them all...

Thanks again everyone!
Tom
my bad, i added the linky to my post.

here it is again:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41320

as to mounting the lap belts and antisub belts to the seat, i suggest that you take your seats out and inspect the method by which the seats are connected to the car. there are four smallish bolts holding the seat frame to the captive nuts in the car's frame. the threads of those four bolts would be all that is holding you in place should you become involved in an impact at the track (or the street for that matter). those bolts are threaded into aluminum. by attaching the antisub belts and the lap belts to the seat, you are effectively placing all your eggs in one basket.

s111 sells a seat mount reinforcing kit. i do not have it, i have not seen it in person. i cannot offer any opinion on it.

do your research. read the scroth install guide. read the thousands of posts here on ET regarding safety.

good luck.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
The following shows how the fasteners are attached with the Competition Seat Mount Kit which, unfortunately is not available in the US. If you are drilling through the tub make certain that you have some kind of plate to spread the force on any impact. The tub aluminum will tear out very quickly without some kind of doubling plate that spreads the load over at least 4 sq in.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=804756&postcount=17

Jerry

none of those mounting points are through the thin sheet aluminum, but yes, i do agree on the need to use backing plates. for my install, i used the large schroth plates for my lap belts. i ground the shape down so that they would sit flush with the pan. i also sprayed undercoating on the plates (all sides) and then sprayed the eyebolt ends after they were secure.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
those bolts are threaded into aluminum.
Actually.. No..

The rear bolts thread into steel plates that are bonded/glued inside the chassis channels.

The front bolts thread into weldnuts that are attached inside the chassis channel.

I agree that the M8 bolts may not be as 'chunky' as you'd like to see, but at least they use 12.9 grade ones, which somewhat alleviates the issue as normal seatbelt bolts are not such high-tensile ones.

A bit more scary are what holds the lap mounts (which doubles as the seat mount) onto the sliding rail of the driver's seat.. Have a look.. Can you see the M6 bolts??? (Perhaps this is different on the Fed-Elises though.. may be different in your cars)

I'm not really concerned about the M8's at the back (esp when both holes are used), but the siderrail-to-seat attachment is somewhat tricky.

It should pass the governmental impact tests at xx mph (don't know..), but I'm not sure about their strenght in bigger or multiple impacts.

As to mounting harness lap belts to the rear chassis rail: it's common practice and often used, but I do find that the angle of the lap belt towards the back becomes a bit too shallow/horizontal for my taste, especially with a seat mounted more forward.

Oh well.. Physical space and material restraints sometimes force some compromises.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good stuff, guys...thanks.

I think I have my plan. I am going to reinforce the seats with the sector sys pack. I will then mount both the lap and sub belts to the existing seat belt mounts using the sector hardware kit (I assume I may have to do some machining or add an extra spacer here or there because I'll be adding two belts to each mount instead of 1).

Any major problems with this setup? Will the stock belt receptacle and two harness plates fit in the "channel" in the seat?

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Actually.. No..

The rear bolts thread into steel plates that are bonded/glued inside the chassis channels.

The front bolts thread into weldnuts that are attached inside the chassis channel.
hey arno, thx for chiming in. if memory serves, i could wiggle the inserts within the frame channel at the rear mount point for the seat. they did not "feel' bonded to anything.

i was unaware that inserts are made of steel. that certainly increases my comfort level for street use with the 3pt belts.

as for the seat to seatrail connection... i'm not in love with the nut that is embedded in the seat shell. adding stress to that point via piggy backing a lap harness mount is just not something with which i could be comfortable.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
yes i was referring to the harness bar... however this thread as brought up some things i had no idea about....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thin aluminum

Ace10 - Although you may be right that the seat belt mounts that come with the Competition kit don't go through "sheet" aluminum, the entire tub is made of aluminum sheet and extrusions. The extrusion that the mounts bolt to is obviously not strong enough to use without the spreader plate. The point I made is still valid, a simple hole through the box section provides insufficient strength to ensure retention of the bolt in the event of an impact.

Jerry

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Has anyone used the sector adapter kit with a non-schroth harness? It looks like they have narrower hardware then my setup. Will this style hardware mount alright to the existing seat belt mounts?

Now I'm thinking that it might be better to mount just the subs to the existing belt mounts and put the laps through the tub. Man, I wish I had my car out of storage so I could actually see where all this stuff needs to fit.

Tom

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts