The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used these:
https://www.sector111.com/products/interior/seats/elise_seat_grommets.cfm

I already have the Sector 111 harness bar and I'm considering using the grommets in the stock seat with a Schroth Hybrid harness.

Schroth Competition Belts // Hybrid Style Harnesses // Hybrid III // HMS Motorsport

I am going to be doing some HPDEs at Motrosport Ranch. Would I be better off using the stock belt and waiting until I can afford a racing seat or would this be a safer set up than the stock belt?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You just opened up one of the biggest cans of worms known on this site. Try searching around. There are tons of heated arguments about this subject.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You just opened up one of the biggest cans of worms known on this site. Try searching around. There are tons of heated arguments about this subject.
When it comes to safety I value the opinions of the people who know what they are talking about. Lets hear it.

Just remember, my question is not is this the safest set up possible? I'm asking if this is safer than the stock belts?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Has anyone used these:

I already have the Sector 111 harness bar and I'm considering using the grommets in the stock seat with a Schroth Hybrid harness.

Schroth Competition Belts // Hybrid Style Harnesses // Hybrid III // HMS Motorsport

I am going to be doing some HPDEs at Motrosport Ranch. Would I be better off using the stock belt and waiting until I can afford a racing seat or would this be a safer set up than the stock belt?

^
My opinion is these should not even be sold by a reputable place like sector 111 because all the literature that i have seen from the manufactures of harnesses say to never cut holes in a seat to make a space for harnesses.
Yet somehow they claim that its Ok to cut holes in the lotus seats.......I am not buying that for a minute.
I like the guys at sector 111, but i do think they are doing a big diservice in offering these, and potentially opening themselves up to something bad if/when one of their crash test dummies......... I mean customers of this item, gets injured.
IMO the seats that have been cut for these grommets are now compromised and shoud go in the trash.

I would say you would be much better off using the stock 3 point set up with a CG lock to keep your waist planted to the seat, UNTIL you can afford a proper racing seat, AND a 5-6 point harness that is installed correctly.

having crashed a few times on the track i can tell you that buying the safety gear before you need it to protect you is the right approach.
I see people who wait until after their first wreck to invest in the proper safety gear, just invest in yourself, and do it right from the start. one day you will be glad that you did.

dont skimp on this stuff, and it should be your first priority, before the cool suspension, before the wings or splitters, before you even pay for a trackday, get this stuff.

personally i wont get into a racecar w/o a H+N device, so maybe consider getting a seat that is HANS compatible. the defNder is a new item for H+N, and i held one and looked it over, and i think its a better route than the HANS right now for good reasons like lateral impact protection, and its adjustable in its angles of application. its also cheaper than the HANS.

also, do NOT use a harness with the stock seat and just route them over the shoulders of the stock seat. bad idea on so many levels.

and yeah, you did re-open a can of worms on this, but to me its worth reposting, rather than telling them to search, everytime i see someone asking these questions.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When it comes to safety I value the opinions of the people who know what they are talking about.
Which is a completely different statement than: I value the opinions of the people who think they know what they are talking about.

No one should get offended, I'm not directing this at anyone... it's just a joke. rotfl

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which is a completely different statement than: I value the opinions of the people who think they know what they are talking about.

No one should get offended, I'm not directing this at anyone... it's just a joke. rotfl
Exactly.

Fishguy knows what he is talking about. That is the kind of opinion I was looking for.

I agree it seems sector111 would not sell a bad product, but know one will know until there is a major accident using those parts. I don't want to be the one to figure it out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts