• 4 point

Votes: 44 25.3%
  • 5 point

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • 6 point

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • i have a harness and installed it myself

Votes: 71 40.8%
  • i have a harness and had a shop install it.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • on my installed harness, the shoulder belts are routed to and bolted into the floor

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • my shoulder belts are wrapped to the harness bar

Votes: 92 52.9%
  • my lap belts are bolted to the floor

Votes: 35 20.1%
  • my lap belts are bolted to the seat

Votes: 58 33.3%
  • i kept my 3 point even though i have a harness

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • i removed the 3 point, weight savings

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • i have both the 3 point and a harness, but i only wear the 3 point unless racing

Votes: 57 32.8%
  • i have both a 3 point and harness and never wear the 3 point.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • there are already to many threads on this subject this is stupid

Votes: 17 9.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would love to see some discussion on the difference in efficasy between a 5 point and a 6 point harness. I've done a search but haven't found this info. Is a 6 point simply "more comfortable"?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shoulder belts should never be routed directly to the floor, and ideally shouldn't be indirectly routed to the floor, ever.

ed

why? has no one else heard of this? ugh. why would this guy tell me this if it is not a regular practice? or is it, just not in the elise?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
why? has no one else heard of this? ugh. why would this guy tell me this if it is not a regular practice? or is it, just not in the elise?
No, I have never heard of this. I've been inside quite a few race cars and have never seen that before. It sounds like a bad idea, IMO.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
It is remarkable how complicated it can become to place a harness system on a car that is offered to be tracked. Their are so many options and opinions and threads and diagrams and pictures........:shrug:
Can't we just get along? That is, some concensus would really be nice to offer to folks getting ready to install a 6 point setup, like say me.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
all cars, not just the lotus.
the answer, as i understand, it is because you dont want to have your spinal column compressed downward and injure yourself from the forces of the impact. you want to be restrained to the seat, not the floor(the seat is mounted to the floor, not your body), and thus you mount the points at either horizontal or i think up to 20 degress below horizontal max(at least those are the #s i recall for using the hans device.

also, dont use harnesses with your stock lotus seats. they are not designed to work with them, dont cut holes in them for the shoulder belts, and w/o the holes the shoulder belts are way to far apart.
dont skimp on safety gear.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Also, aren't harnesses illegal on public roads? How are some of you guys who voted in the poll removing the stock 3 point belt?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i applicate the feed back, and will be re routing the belts so they are only wrapped and secured on the harness bar. err. i might call that guy up and say some thing...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Also, aren't harnesses illegal on public roads? How are some of you guys who voted in the poll removing the stock 3 point belt?
It's not so much that harnesses are illegal, more that state laws often require that the seat belts are "DOT approved" - i.e. the OEM three point belts. If you have DOT Approved harnesses, they would be legal. The fact that the harnesses meet higher standards is irrelevant, they must also be certified that they do meet the the federal standards - something that most harnesses don't bother to do as it's not necessary for racing, and is rather expensive to do.

So, yes, technically, harnesses can be illegal on the street depending on the state laws, but it's not like they are unsafe or anyone should actually bother you about them.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok a few comments about compressing your back with the shoulder belts to the floor... how can that be if the belts are still routed through the harness bar? if the wreak is that severe to break the harness bar would it really matter where the belts are secured?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
ok a few comments about compressing your back with the shoulder belts to the floor... how can that be if the belts are still routed through the harness bar? if the wreak is that severe to break the harness bar would it really matter where the belts are secured?
there's a bit of confusion as to your current install. i think that some folks are incorrectly thinking that you've routed the shoulder belts from the eyebolts on the floor up directly through the seat cutouts and down to the buckle.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ill take new pics, one sec. i want to do this right

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
now i know i do not have the grommet seat, however i was assured by fred at bwr that his bwr harness bar was designing to be used with stock seat. the spacing on the guild and the hight work for this application. i will use this for autox and maybe track days. if this is something i like, i will upgrade seats, and lotus sport harness bar(which i bought but still haven't picked up.)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
If the belts go over the harness bar then to the floor that "should" be ok in regard to the angle but I think you have too much length on the straps with the chance of them stretching a bit too much in an impact.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i called or racing again just now to talk about all this. and i was assured that by far the safest and best way to have the shoulder belts installed in the car is to use the harness bar as a guild and the routed to the floor and bolted.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts