The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a client that is getting me a G-Force (cam lock) 5 point harness for $100, and I might be able to get some more at this price. If i can, does anyone want one?

Gunnar

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to try to get them by Thanksgiving weekend:D

But it may be more like the first week of December, depending on our money situation.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said to begin with, I don't know if i can get more than 2 and those are spoken for, but if I can.....at that price it doesn't matter what car you put it in. GET IT! You can put it in you closet for now and put it in what ever car you get later.

I am sounding pushy :(

I am going to stop now :(

bye

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
lol it's alright I don't think anyone else is even reading this ;)

The only problem with a 5 point harness is (correct me if I'm wrong) the 5th attachment point comes up betwee your legs and you either have to be willing to ruin your seat or to have a seat designed to accomidate a harness if you want to use it. I was looking at a 4 point harness for my car, but decided to hold off until I know what the future looks like.

Or maybe if you can get more than the two you should so that someone else can buy it from you (or just give you money for one and then sell later if it can't be used).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MX5bob said:
I'm reading this. But I'm holding out for a 6-pt. harness and a proper seat. That's mostly because I still commute in it.
how does a 6 point work? Twice across your nuts!!!!!!

:eek:
:D
:p

·
Registered
118 Posts
Gunnar said:

how does a 6 point work? Twice across your nuts!!!!!!

:eek:
:D
:p
No, one strap to either side, rather than right down the middle, leaving space for your "boys" in the middle.

And the thing with the 5-pt cam-lock (or most of those belts) is that the bottom is detachable. You don't need to use it. For autocross, a 4-point is fine (actually, the lap belt is the most important). For road-racing, having that extra point(s) mean that if (when?) you run into something, you a) won't go under the belts, and b) have the lap belt low enough...across the pelvis rather than across your gut.

·
Registered
25 Posts
leaving space for your "boys" in the middle
Insert joke about the little "Gunn(a/e)rs" here....

Anyhow, my Autopower 3" camlock is a 5 point. The 5th point is still in the box, I just use it as a 4-point. It's not installed according to road race regulations (as far as I can tell), because my attachments are probably more than 45-degrees below the shoulder points, unless the level that the seat holes are at count. Either way, I wouldn't say my Corbeau Targa RS seat is top-o-the-line road-race safety-wise, anyhow.

For autocrossing, this setup is sufficient to hold the driver in place, I don't anticipate crashing into anything. I use the stock belts for daily driving.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm looking to get a Momo Start seat.

I only want to use the lap and anti-sub belts on the street, combined with the regular ones. I don't like what I've seen when people submarine out from under the standard 3-point belts. :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
MX5bob said:
I'm looking to get a Momo Start seat.

I only want to use the lap and anti-sub belts on the street, combined with the regular ones. I don't like what I've seen when people submarine out from under the standard 3-point belts. :eek:
Be care. Not all belts/harness are street legal. Only Schroth has/had dot approval.
From Soloracer.com

Schroth Street Legal Harness Belt Questions
1. Are the Schroth Rallye 3 and 4 really street legal?
Yes, these belts are DOT approved, so you can wear them around town or at the track. These street legal belts are also used by many BMWCCA Driving School Students and Instructors. As "street legal" as these belts are, we only use them for autocrossing. We feel that the factory seat belts are best used when driving on the street. Save the Schroths for race days.

2. I notice the Schroth Rallye 3 and 4 come in a left and right side version. Does it matter which one I get?
Yes, with the Rallye 3 and 4, the left and right seat harnessbelts are not interchangeable. Installation on wrong side can result in severe head injury during rebound phase of frontal collision

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got a Schroth R3 harness that I'm not going to use anymore...looks like it's sold but if that falls through then I'll let someone here have it for $75. Nice unit, but I can't use it in the Miata. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
86 Posts
bluethunder28 said:

Be care. Not all belts/harness are street legal. Only Schroth has/had dot approval.

I'm not going to use it on the street instead of, but in addition to for freeway driving. Not going to use the shoulder belts from the harness except on course/track.

And the Schroth I'm looking at is not DOT approved; it's a 6-point camlock, 3".

·
Registered
125 Posts
Of course, it's nice to have a rollbar and be "not tall" enough to clear it easily...

If I want a rollbar, I can forget about a top. :( This'll make spec miata impossible, I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

And if you want the harness Darryl, I'll let you have it if I don't hear back from this guy in SD by say, tomorrow night. He keeps saying that he wants it but has trouble keeping in touch.

-la (who just got back from helping a neighbor put out a car fire)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Larry,

Can't you change the seat in a Spec Miata? Might gain a few inches of headroom that way.

Or you could just do what they did to Dan Gurney's GT40 and add a bubble to the roof. :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, False alarm, I can only get 2, and they are both spoken for. But it sure looks like I got a good conversation going :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Larry Andrews said:
Of course, it's nice to have a rollbar and be "not tall" enough to clear it easily...

If I want a rollbar, I can forget about a top. :( This'll make spec miata impossible, I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

And if you want the harness Darryl, I'll let you have it if I don't hear back from this guy in SD by say, tomorrow night. He keeps saying that he wants it but has trouble keeping in touch.

-la (who just got back from helping a neighbor put out a car fire)
Awesome! I'm leaving now for Vegas, be back on Wednesday.

thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts