The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After the excellent event down at Harris Hill Road, a bunch of us Austin/Houston/Dallas folks are thinking of joining Harris Hill Road.

The track map is similar to the track map of Hallett in one way: The map makes the track look uninteresting, while the actual track is excellent. Just like Hallett it's the elevation changes that really make the track. The track is also PERFECT for our cars; No big long straights for the high HP cars to leave you in the dust, just lots of cool corners.

Here's the basics on their membership as I understand it so far:
  • Lifetime membership (non-refundable): $900.
  • Fully refundable damage deposit: $1500 (held until you cancel your membership)
  • Monthly Dues: $90
  • A membership obligates you to at least two 4 hour sessions each Quarter. On weekdays these will cost $100 each ($200/quarter), and on weekends each four-hour session is $150 ($300/quarter).
  • There are also two hour sessions available for folks who want to take some time out during the day.

The four hour sessions enable you to run as much as you would like during the 4 hours (either 9 am to 1 pm or 2 pm to 6 pm). You could do two sessions in one day if you wanted to sped the day at the track.

If we can pull together a bunch of folks then I believe that we could get a discount .

Are there other folks who would like to join too?

Rich

UPDATE:

Group buy details:

A $150 'try before you buy' session will be held on the 28th of September. Plan to arrive at the track around 12:30/1:00. The track will go hot at 2:00. You will be able to run at will until 6:00. If we get more than 15 people, then we will probably end up breaking things up into different run groups.

If you join the track, your $150 fee for the day will be applied towards the $900 membership fee.

Also, for the first quarter you will receive up to 8 hours of free track time. If you use this time during the weekends, you would save another $300.

Total (potential) savings for using the group buy: $450.

Harris Hill Road

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Rich,

As we discussed at the track this weekend I would be in for the membership as long as there is a decent discount. The track was EXTREMELY fun and I suspect it will be even more fun in the other direction.

BTW, for anyone interested in getting the membership you will not have to do this blindly. At some point in the near future we are all going to head up to Harris Hill Road and do about an our on the track (for free) in the normal track direction (clock wise). It is after this point when we can all decide if we want to do a membership or not.

Here is a link to a video of me this weekend. This video is the CCW which is not the normal direction run, but will give you an idea of the track layout. BTW, the amount of Elevation on this track is crazy and you really cant tell how much in the video.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=2065577658871270533&hl=en&fs=true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'd be in for sure. I've been lazy and not writen my check but I'm going to in any case - might as well get in with y'all and save some $$ :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I'd be in for sure. I've been lazy and not writen my check but I'm going to in any case - might as well get in with y'all and save some $$ :)
It will be great to have a group of people that can all go to the track at the same time and toy around together. Im sure it would be a great learning experience for me (and other), and really step up my learning curve.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It will be great to have a group of people that can all go to the track at the same time and toy around together. Im sure it would be a great learning experience for me (and other), and really step up my learning curve.
It would help me for sure :) When you came out with me it took you about one lap to find my weakest spot on that particular track.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
It would help me for sure :) When you came out with me it took you about one lap to find my weakest spot on that particular track.
Yes its always great to get someone else's opinion, your ride with me helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I am definitely interested in joining, but I would definitely need to see a nice discount. Assuming you go out the mandatory 2 times per quarter (on the weekend of course) and not even factor in the $900 and $1500, it averages $285 per track day. We just spent $185 for our day at the track. I would need this cost to average between $100-$150 per track day to get my interest.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I am definitely interested in joining, but I would definitely need to see a nice discount. Assuming you go out the mandatory 2 times per quarter (on the weekend of course) and not even factor in the $900 and $1500, it averages $285 per track day. We just spent $185 for our day at the track. I would need this cost to average between $100-$150 per track day to get my interest.
You need to take into consideration that the track days will be MUCH better. The traffic will be much lighter, the average person on track will be faster and probably give better point by's. You can come and leave the track as you like. You will probably learn quicker and get more track time than a normal HPDE assuming your already to a level where you do not need instructors any longer. You will also be allowed to have your fellow drivers ride with you and get pointers or ride with other drivers to see how they do things.

I can see myself driving up and doing a track day at least once a month.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Sort of interested. I like the $100 to $150 per day number, too.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First thing: We did some rough calculations during dinner after the event on Saturday and I think I'm approaching close to 192 track sessions (15 to 25 minute sessions with some longer 30 minute sessions thrown in), so I've got a bit of track time... And I really liked this track. :)

Second thing: Remember that there is a HUGE difference between a $185 club (PCA, etc.) day and a track membership.

During a club day you get "4 hours of drive time", except you quite often don't get 4 real hours of drive time. Most clubs divide the day into 5 Groups (Green, Blue, Yellow, Red and Instructor) each of which get 4 sessions during the whole day. Quite often those sessions are '30 minutes'. Which really means 20 minutes or so, not 30 actual minutes of track time. Not counting yellows/reds where you can often lose your session (or at least quite a bit of it). I've had 'full sessions' during club days where I was on the track for less than 15 minutes. The reality of most club type events is that you get around an hour to an hour and a half at most during a day.

You can't really compare the ability to drive any time you want during a 4 hour session and a 'club event'. Or if you do, then you should really count the 4 hour session as TWO track days as you could EASILY do over two hours of time on the track during your 4 hour session. Having the flexibility to drive whenever you want during a 4 hour day (or 8 hour day) is HUGE.

If you ignore the membership fee and damage deposit, then you only have to do 21.5 four hour sessions at the track to get yourself down to $150 track days. If you did double days (two 4 hour sessions in a single day) then you are looking at 11 days a year. (Assuming week days. Obviously the numbers go up a bit if you do weekends instead.)

Note that the only thing I am doing here is helping folks justify this to their significant others. I'm not trying to convince anyone here. :sheep:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Another bonus is that if your from out of Town (Houston/Dallas) you will save a bit on Hotel as you will be able to drive up, run the track and drive back in one day. Or if you wanted to stay in a Hotel it would only be 1 night instead of 2. That is a BIG savings in itself.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
If I lived there, I swear I'd be doing this.... That is a steal.

So it's $900 + $90 (12) = 1080 annual + $200-300 (4)...

What does the damage fee thing cover? Like a security deposit?

Not bad. There is a club that just opened up in NY called Monticello and you get basically unlimited track time annually...for $125k initiation fee. NO THX!!!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
As most of you know I made a little boo boo on my second session. Thinking I was on the front straight I decided to check my lap times. Bad idea, because there was one more turn before the front straight, when I looked up I was going to fast and off line for the turn. I tried to break straight before turning in, but once I started turning the back came out. Tried getting back on the gas, but it was a bit to late and before I knew it I was rolling backwards. Knowing that a car could come around the corner at any moment I decided to whip the car back around so I would be pointed in the correct direction when I stopped.

Now you ask what is the point of this post in the membership buy thread. What I want you to do is look at the below video and see how fast the yellow light came on. (The red light is their equivalent of a red flag). Im quite impressed at how fast that was handled.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U7nOSqe3CQw"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U7nOSqe3CQw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Im surprised Doghouse has not posted up yet, I know he is interested in getting in on this.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I lived there, I swear I'd be doing this.... That is a steal.

So it's $900 + $90 (12) = 1080 annual + $200-300 (4)...
Yes. Pretty cheap... Especially for the amount of time you can spend at the track.
What does the damage fee thing cover? Like a security deposit?
Yes. See the flashing light in the other video? Hit that and they will pull the rebuild funds from your $1500.
Not bad. There is a club that just opened up in NY called Monticello and you get basically unlimited track time annually...for $125k initiation fee. NO THX!!!
Only 833 days to get that down to $150/day. Not bad... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Im surprised Carter/Doghouse has not posted up yet, I know he is interested in getting in on this.
Dang Barry (Chili Red), why do you always have to post my name on this board.-poke--poke-

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Dang Barry (Chili Red), why do you always have to post my name on this board.-poke--poke-
Because some may know you as your real name and some your board name... :(

PS, I edited out your name, but you quoted it so you need to edit yours if you dont want it displayed.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts