The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, my first (and current) midlife-crisis car is a 2007 997 turbo. Wanted something spaceship-fast but at least a bit practical (auto/Tiptronic, AWD, back "seats" for the kids).

I love the car - the torque alone is absolutely intoxicating. But truthfully I always wanted to own an Exige (part of the reason I'm on the forum - check my new-member post for the other part).

Has anybody here owned both cars? How would you compare the two? Is the Exige as impractical as I imagine it to be (much as I love them)? My girls are getting older so they won't be able to fit in the back seat of the 911 for much longer anyway...

Also please bear in mind that I live in rainy Seattle :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am bringing an 08 S240 Exige into my fold...and I currently have a 77 TVR Turbo Taimar... probably not the comparison you are looking for though... :unsure: :geek::p

·
Registered
93 Posts
I owned a 1979 911 Turbo, actually it is called a 930 but when I say that I get a strange look from most folks. I had it for over nine years and was a fantastic car in most every regard. Currently I own an Exige S240 and have had it for four years, and I would not trade it back for my 930 under any circumstances! Now it is not fair to compare an '07 turbo to a '79 turbo so I can only speak from my personal experience, but in my personal opinion the '79 930 was very much an analog machine, which is why I liked it so much and held onto it for as long as I did. However, the Exige is the manifestation of what I had always envisioned the ideal sports car to be like, and now that I have my dream car I have stopped looking. I know I will purchase something else shortly, I'm always looking, but the Exige will not be sacrificed for that pursuit. If you have the opportunity to drive an Exige I highly encourage you to do it. Actually don't, it will ruin you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I drive my cousin’s 2008 997 Turbo with a manual tranny quite a bit.
My longest single trip in it was 1000km, so I think I have enough seat time in one to compare it to my 2007 Exige S.
IMHO, they are totally different machines.
Exige is a fun toy that has no business in being a daily driver.
The 997 Turbo is a great car, but the excitement an Exige brings is off the charts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Haven't owned directly, but have driven various iterations of the 991, most recently a 997 GT3 on the 'Ring, and now own an Exige. Coming from a 911T you'll be surprised at the lack of power and more noticeably torque, but the overall visceral feel will win you over.

If you're not looking to:

1. Pick up the kids
2. Pick up the partner to go out to dinner
3. Pick up the groceries
4. Take it for a quick drive to the gym
5. Take it for any other reason than to go to the track or a good blast
6. Worry about random noises or rattles

Then get the Lotus. It's a compromise but as long as you have a DD to accompany it you'll be fine.

We're down in Portland and you're more than welcome to drive ours...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Haven't owned directly, but have driven various iterations of the 991, most recently a 997 GT3 on the 'Ring, and now own an Exige. Coming from a 911T you'll be surprised at the lack of power and more noticeably torque, but the overall visceral feel will win you over.

1. Pick up the kids
3. Pick up the groceries

Then get the Lotus. It's a compromise but as long as you have a DD to accompany it you'll be fine.

Looking to get into a 997 GT3, either .1 or .2. How would you compare them with Exige/Elise?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd echo what's been posted above having owned both (new to the Lotus Exige), modified NA 911s, and other high horsepower, more "practical" cars (and some far less practical). The 911 Turbo is a car I'd consider more utilitarian and wouldn't hesitate taking, say, to pick up a gallon of milk and a bag of concrete from your local hardware store. The Porsche is faster in a straight line and I do miss the way that car would build speed in the three digit zone- so much the case that I've modified the Exige to approx 300 HP already and it's barely adequate. On the other hand, the Exige is the car I'd choose for an exhilarating drive on a mountain road and feels more exotic. The Exige gets a lot more attention as well and the visceral feedback and responsiveness is far better vs. the 911 Turbo IMO. The Lotus simply puts a bigger smile on my face vs any other car I've previously owned.

Interestingly, my wife and I fairly recently relocated from Seattle where we resided for 16 years. I'm not sure I'd feel that comfortable in an Exige around town vs the Porsche due to the plethora of poor drivers, limited rearward visibility, low ride height, and shoddy roads. The rattles are bad enough on smooth roads :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Make sure you go see one and try to get in and out of it. That may make the decision for you. Watch the youtube videos about getting in and out of an elise first. I'm relatively new to the elise and exige. I went to see one for sale without watching the youtube videos. The salesman had no guidance and I looked like fool and got a cramp in my side just trying to get in. Not pretty.

OLW

·
Registered
169 Posts
Looking to get into a 997 GT3, either .1 or .2. How would you compare them with Exige/Elise?
It's actually not too hard to compare. With the GT3, imagine it as basically a bigger Exige - just multiply by everything by two - double the power, double the brakes etc. but with added practicality. If all goes to plan we should be adding one within a couple years as it's the only other car that provides a similar level of enjoyment - it's loud, rough, fantastic suspension and makes you smile!

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's actually not too hard to compare. With the GT3, imagine it as basically a bigger Exige - just multiply by everything by two - double the power, double the brakes etc. but with added practicality. If all goes to plan we should be adding one within a couple years as it's the only other car that provides a similar level of enjoyment - it's loud, rough, fantastic suspension and makes you smile!
Thanks, how about on the track, I've never had real experience of RR layout on track, I've heard .1 997 is a totally different animal than mid engines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I owned a 1979 911 Turbo, actually it is called a 930 but when I say that I get a strange look from most folks. I had it for over nine years and was a fantastic car in most every regard. Currently I own an Exige S240 and have had it for four years, and I would not trade it back for my 930 under any circumstances! Now it is not fair to compare an '07 turbo to a '79 turbo so I can only speak from my personal experience, but in my personal opinion the '79 930 was very much an analog machine, which is why I liked it so much and held onto it for as long as I did. However, the Exige is the manifestation of what I had always envisioned the ideal sports car to be like, and now that I have my dream car I have stopped looking. I know I will purchase something else shortly, I'm always looking, but the Exige will not be sacrificed for that pursuit. If you have the opportunity to drive an Exige I highly encourage you to do it. Actually don't, it will ruin you.
Wow, a proper "widowmaker" - my 07 has been sanitized with AWD, traction control, etc. but those cars were proper brutes. The boost was like Kato from the Pink Panther - nothing, nothing, nothing - POW 300 ft-lbs, right on corner exit :)

Yeah I am very afraid to drive an Exige because then the 911 will be out to consigment before i realize what's happening...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

1. Pick up the kids
3. Pick up the groceries

Wow, what a kind offer - thank you! Your list is spot-on. I think I will still need #2, #4 for a little bit longer - and #3 and #6 are kind of enjoyable. Maybe once we get at least one of our three off to college (in three years - if college still exists then :rolleyes:), that will make things simpler.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd echo what's been posted above having owned both (new to the Lotus Exige), modified NA 911s, and other high horsepower, more "practical" cars (and some far less practical). The 911 Turbo is a car I'd consider more utilitarian and wouldn't hesitate taking, say, to pick up a gallon of milk and a bag of concrete from your local hardware store. The Porsche is faster in a straight line and I do miss the way that car would build speed in the three digit zone- so much the case that I've modified the Exige to approx 300 HP already and it's barely adequate. On the other hand, the Exige is the car I'd choose for an exhilarating drive on a mountain road and feels more exotic. The Exige gets a lot more attention as well and the visceral feedback and responsiveness is far better vs. the 911 Turbo IMO. The Lotus simply puts a bigger smile on my face vs any other car I've previously owned.

Interestingly, my wife and I fairly recently relocated from Seattle where we resided for 16 years. I'm not sure I'd feel that comfortable in an Exige around town vs the Porsche due to the plethora of poor drivers, limited rearward visibility, low ride height, and shoddy roads. The rattles are bad enough on smooth roads :)
This is a pretty spot on assessment, from what I can tell (of both the cars and the Seattle drivers :)) The Turbo feels like a spaceship, in ways both good and bad. On a highway on-ramp, the way it takes off is intoxicating (0-60 in the low threes - the one upside to my Tip gearbox). Canyon carving is fun, but does feel a little disconnected. I find myself hopping in my puttery little stock Miata more for the twisties, believe it or not. But it is pretty astonishing that it will go toe-to-toe with almost anything on the road, and still accommodate a week's worth of food shopping.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Make sure you go see one and try to get in and out of it. That may make the decision for you. Watch the youtube videos about getting in and out of an elise first. I'm relatively new to the elise and exige. I went to see one for sale without watching the youtube videos. The salesman had no guidance and I looked like fool and got a cramp in my side just trying to get in. Not pretty.

OLW
Thanks - that's good advice! I remember the Top Gear episode a while back where Clarkson demoed the entry/exit procedure for an Exige (i think it was the one where he "raced" a helicopter gunship). Granted, he's 6'5" - but it was still pretty comical.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all, my first (and current) midlife-crisis car is a 2007 997 turbo. Wanted something spaceship-fast but at least a bit practical (auto/Tiptronic, AWD, back "seats" for the kids).

I love the car - the torque alone is absolutely intoxicating. But truthfully I always wanted to own an Exige (part of the reason I'm on the forum - check my new-member post for the other part).

Has anybody here owned both cars? How would you compare the two? Is the Exige as impractical as I imagine it to be (much as I love them)? My girls are getting older so they won't be able to fit in the back seat of the 911 for much longer anyway...

Also please bear in mind that I live in rainy Seattle :)

Thanks!
Haven't owned a turbo or exige. But i just sold my 911 carerra and bought an elise. The 911 is comfortable and fast, but pales in comparison for the experience imo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is a pretty spot on assessment, from what I can tell (of both the cars and the Seattle drivers :)) The Turbo feels like a spaceship, in ways both good and bad. On a highway on-ramp, the way it takes off is intoxicating (0-60 in the low threes - the one upside to my Tip gearbox). Canyon carving is fun, but does feel a little disconnected. I find myself hopping in my puttery little stock Miata more for the twisties, believe it or not. But it is pretty astonishing that it will go toe-to-toe with almost anything on the road, and still accommodate a week's worth of food shopping.
I totally get the Miata vibe and used to race Spec Miata. I just picked up a '91 for a full restoration and will be adding a little forced induction for added fun.

·
Registered
93 Posts
@MiataSquad ya that '79 930 was a very raw car that every once in awhile liked to remind me who was the boss. I bought it in '92 from the original owner after a test drive that had me in shock. It did 88-89mph in second gear, and got there quicker than anything else I had driven up to that point. When the boost came on it was intoxicating. I was 26 years old at that time, and yes I got into a LOT of trouble, lack of self control with the right foot. I still miss it in some ways but after 9.5 years of ownership I was ready for something different.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I owned an 08 Exige and a 996 Turbo at the same time. Turbo had some mods as did the Exige. One is a street car that can be driven on a track. The other is a go cart that can be driven on the street. While you have to commit a felony to run a Turbo on the edge, and make it exciting, the Exige is exciting at 40 mph. I’ve had a Porsche in the garage since the 1980s and imo the 08 Exige was that days 73 911 RS. Check out the specs, very similar. 2K pounds, 200 hp, etc. A lot of the upside of the Exige has been covered. IMO the downside is limited service availability, my wife would not ride in it (did once and that was it), and I absolutely would not want to be in a serious accident in one.

I regret selling my Exige. I do have a GT3 Touring now and while it’s the Porsche equivalent it’s also so fast that it’s not much fun at low speeds imo. As I said the Exige was fun at all speeds.

Reactions: sege and MiataSquad

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I owned an 08 Exige and a 996 Turbo at the same time. Turbo had some mods as did the Exige. One is a street car that can be driven on a track. The other is a go cart that can be driven on the street. While you have to commit a felony to run a Turbo on the edge, and make it exciting, the Exige is exciting at 40 mph. I’ve had a Porsche in the garage since the 1980s and imo the 08 Exige was that days 73 911 RS. Check out the specs, very similar. 2K pounds, 200 hp, etc. A lot of the upside of the Exige has been covered. IMO the downside is limited service availability, my wife would not ride in it (did once and that was it), and I absolutely would not want to be in a serious accident in one.

I regret selling my Exige. I do have a GT3 Touring now and while it’s the Porsche equivalent it’s also so fast that it’s not much fun at low speeds imo. As I said the Exige was fun at all speeds.
Thanks, Tpup - totally in line with my experience. I love the Turbo - but it does require either a track or a flagrant disregard for the law to really wring it out. That can be frustrating day-to-day. That's why i ended up getting the Miata - not an Exige, by any stretch. But same philosophy. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts