The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post so go easy.... :D

My wife and I (It's mainly her Summer toy car) just bought a single (female) owner, never tracked, 2005 Red Elise with 20K miles. It's perfectly showroom and we love it... However,

She is great driver but also a very new at driving a stick and the lack of a neutral safety switch bothers me. She is good at checklists (she has her private pilot's license) and right now and her starting checklist includes:

clutch in
shift to neutral
ebrake on
foot on brake
key on
start button.
clutch out slow.

...But we all know mistakes can happen. I just don't want a mistake to cost a clam fix or worse yet, have it hit my Shelby Cobra replica.

So, understanding that,

I am going to install a neutral safety switch in the Elise. I've done some searches and haven't come across anyone who has done it but would welcome a point to a thread or any other information if it exists. My initial thoughts are a micro-switch or reed-switch or two on the shifter cables in the rear but haven't scoped it out yet.

I don't want to rehash the view that if you can't start it safely each time, you have no business....etc..... It makes the best sense for us at this point.

Any and all helpful thoughts appreciated!

Here's a pic because on my other forum, we love pics. :D

Thanks!

R :D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I am going to install a neutral safety switch in the Elise.
Well, you bought the wrong year Elise... ;)

'06 and newer Elises have the wiring in place for the clutch safety switch since it was a requirement for them to be sold in Canada. The wiring is in all cars, and they add the switch where necessary for sales.

A place to start would be looking at the switch used on the '06 and newer cars - however, the '05s have the nice extruded aluminum pedals and the '06 and newer cars have a different pedal assembly, so the factory switch may not help at all. :shrug:

Other than that, I don't believe there has been any discussion (or interest) in adding the clutch safety switch to the cars - most people want to remove them from cars instead. :shrug:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Clutch switch is far easier and more forgiving if you happen to stall (which 05 elises are prone too)

You can easily wire into the ignition circuit from the clutch area too
What's a stall? Never happened in mine :huh:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...

The only reason that I was thinking about a neutral safety is in the even that I really do want to lean in and start it, I can. (if it's in neutral)

There would be a learning curve in traffic if it was stalled, you'd have to remember to shift into neutral but I don't think that's a deal breaker. I will probably do what needs less fabrication in an area that is easier to get to the right start button wires.

cemaykan, the paperwork says I'm stuck with her so that's not an option. ;) (plus she's a car nut and cute as hell)

TheViper, thanks for the datapoint, that may very well be the plan.

Thanks again all and I'm still looking for additional opinions or thoughts about the way to go about it.

R :D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The only reason that I was thinking about a neutral safety is in the even that I really do want to lean in and start it, I can. (if it's in neutral)
There has actually be a couple of people that have done it - at least one caused damage tot he front clam.

There would be a learning curve in traffic if it was stalled, you'd have to remember to shift into neutral but I don't think that's a deal breaker.
No need to shift into neutral if you stall in traffic - just like any other car, shove in the clutch (even without the interlock) and hit the starter.

As for the '05s stalling... :confused: I've never had it happen to me, and am not aware of any problems with it. The difference between the '05s and '06 and newer is that the '05 has an actual cable that pulls the throttle whereas the later cars are "electronic". Neither are more or less prone to stalling... :shrug:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
It's almost easier to climb in and out of the car to start it than it is to reach around the steering column and turn on the key by reaching in through the open window.

xtn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.