The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Wanted to see if anyone has actually measured the decibel on the Larini SC Sport muffler. A few weeks ago, I was doing a track event at Infineon and I asked a friend to measure the db as I pass by near the end of the front straight. The measurement was done via the DB Master Pro app with an iPad (admittedly, not a professional tool....); my car is a stock 2007 Exige S. The reading was 91db at wot, at about 60 feet from the track, at the end of the front straight.

The reason I'm asking is that I want to take the Exige to Laguna Seca, but it has a db limit of 92 db, and the measurement station there is about 60 feet from the track between turns 5-6. Therefore, I want to see if anyone here with an Exige and the SC Sport muffler has done a DB measurement, hopefully with better measuring device than what I used, and/or has had experience with this set up and tracked at Laguna Seca.

Thx!

GTED

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi

Wanted to see if anyone has actually measured the decibel on the Larini SC Sport muffler. A few weeks ago, I was doing a track event at Infineon and I asked a friend to measure the db as I pass by near the end of the front straight. The measurement was done via the DB Master Pro app with an iPad (admittedly, not a professional tool....); my car is a stock 2007 Exige S. The reading was 91db at wot, at about 60 feet from the track, at the end of the front straight.

The reason I'm asking is that I want to take the Exige to Laguna Seca, but it has a db limit of 92 db, and the measurement station there is about 60 feet from the track between turns 5-6. Therefore, I want to see if anyone here with an Exige and the SC Sport muffler has done a DB measurement, hopefully with better measuring device than what I used, and/or has had experience with this set up and tracked at Laguna Seca.

Thx!

GTED
Yes - http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/holmz-skoolin-lesson-noise-spl-60235/

But those were done in the car, so there is some attenuation between the outside and inside (+?-dB, and there is also some loss from 60 feet versus 10 feet. Probably ~-14dB there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which Larini exhaust did you have for your measurement? Candidly, I don't think my Exige is that loud, certainly doesnt sound like it'd reach triple digit. Thx

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Which Larini exhaust did you have for your measurement? Candidly, I don't think my Exige is that loud, certainly doesnt sound like it'd reach triple digit. Thx
It was sport something or maybe club-sport.
Sound good from the outside, but from the inside I use foam or music earplugs for protection.
Your's may be quieter, a SPL meter would be worthwhile if you could borrow one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts