The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sure, back before Bernie screwed things up for us here in the US, it was easy. Detroit, Indy; both were easy to afford, with plenty of good viewing spots, great sounds etc. Or, you can go to Road America in mid-July and watch 20 or so 3.0l vintage F-1's scream around that beautiful track, and check them out up close in the paddock, something you'l be pretty hard pressed to do now in F-1

·
Registered
379 Posts
For $80. we had covered grandstand seats with a great view of start finish, the pits, and could wander all over the course. Friend in the UK figured similar seats at the Brit F-1 would be around $600. for the weekend. I think Bernie couldn't get Tony to match that kind of pricing, so took his game home with him, and NASCAR crazy USA barely noticed. If you can pull it off, try the season opener in Australia, great place, good course, and reasonable costs, and you'l sort of be able to speak the language.

·
Registered
527 Posts
F1 might be in Toronto Canada in 2010. That might be the easiest one to go see. My dad took me to the Long Beach grand prix when they ran F1 there. The sounds I still remember.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I went to Silverstone with GP Tours. They did a great job and I would recommend the experience to anyone. :clap: I actually had dinner with Hobbs and Varsha

Montreal with some friends

Back in the old days I was at the Glen Many times

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
hungaroring

Budapest, Hungary.........:D.........the food was unbelievable.....good and cheap.......ah and so were the chicks!:D

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I went to Watkins Glen in the 1970s and 1980s. That doesn't help you much, though. I'd go to the track you want to see most. Monza and Spa would be tops on my list, but Britain, Germany, Spain, or Imola would be great alternates. Enjoy!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Mrs. Bastard and I are going to Spa Francorchamps this year. Near $900 bucks for UNcovered grandstands at Stavelot. :crazyeyes I'm going to see about upgrading to covered seats at Eau Rouge for about $300 more.

It will be our 10th anniversary and the race was HER idea. I may lose her to Jenson Button though :(

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Shanghai GP last year with Claus (cstetter) and Jason (Made In China). Fun. And yes, I am still waiting for pictures, lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wife and I went to practice (timing didn't work for attending the race) at Spa last year and bought seats on Eau Rouge. We just walked up and purchased tickets when we arrived, though I doubt you could do this on race day. The experience was awesome. TV does not do the cars, sound and driving justice. We're thinking about Monza this year but don't know if timing will work with other things going on. I don't know anything about the tours but if you get a chance - go!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was talking to a buddy of mine thats an Indy fanatic. He said he can watch Indy without earplugs but said when he went to see F1, he had to put them in. He said the sound was incredible :crazyeyes

·
Registered
787 Posts
Did one at Indy a few years ago. BORING...it was the time that the tire issue surfaced. Basically it was like watching 6 cars do hot laps. The cars sounded nice but not much action.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well, the sound is not the same, not since they lost the TC. On tv, you really don't notice it, but in person, what a difference. Back when they had TC kicking in on the turns, you body had this weird staticky vibration feeling and felt like it was gonna explode. Now, there not as loud, but you still feel the sound. It's hard to explain, you would have to experience it person, although, I guess that won't happen now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
British GP twice. I stayed in Oxford, which was not that bad a drive to Silverstone in the morning. Not that much entertainment for the money they want now. You could go to over five races, Donnington, Brands, Castle Combe and more for less than the cost of the Silverstone F1. The Goodwood Revival is the greatest show on earth, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I watched F1 races at Spa, Monaco, Brands Hatch (long time ago), Magny Cours and the Nürburgring and also visited Monza and Singapore, but not for races.

If you would like to go to Europe, I would recommend to visit Spa. It is a little remote and you need to be patient to get in and out, but just recall the races of the last few years. A lot of action, not only due to the never settled weather conditions. Eau rouge is one of the most thrilling sections on modern F1 tracks.

I would only go to Monza when the chances of a Ferrari victory are close to 100%. ;)

Singapore is a fantastic place. Try to find a Hotel near the track and walk in and out. The atmosphere at night must be exciting (as said before). Plus, you're close to the action.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
That was a bad year to attend amigo!

Did one at Indy a few years ago. BORING...it was the time that the tire issue surfaced. Basically it was like watching 6 cars do hot laps. The cars sounded nice but not much action.
Attended almost every F1 race at The Brickyard with the exception of one race. The bulk of them were... awesome. Indianapolis is a great midwestern town with friendly ******** and decent chow. Additionally the Speedway did not rip you a new one like so many other venues. Hell son... beers were under $4 which is mighty incredible. :D

Michelin made good on that crap race by the way. Complete refund and free tickets for the next years event. The very best thing about Indy was how inexpensive it was. Tickets were under $100 and the lodging was at a decent price.

Nothing beats attending a F1 race. I'll be at the German GP this year.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts