The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any sort of write-up on the subject as yet. I'm wondering if there is a noticable difference between the cars with the Touring package vs those without with regards to noise or comfort or anything else that may have popped up.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
The wind noise through the ragtop when installed is a bit less using the Touring top with it's extra lining. That's about it. The Elise is NOT a quiet Lexus Sedan type ride. The other stuff makes little actual difference.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the difference between the models, guys.. that's not my question. My question is do the differences make any difference. ;)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Probably a difficult question to answer until we can get two cars side by side, on the same day. I will say that a lot of people seem to be buying the touring package for the leather, and not exclusively for the sound proofing. It is an open car after all, and perhaps you will only benefit from a bit of heat insulation and a bit of noise coming from underneath. Sorry, but doesn't seem like we have a real answer for now. The soft top's additional insultation obviously doesn't help if you never have it on, but I suspect it may absorb a bit of windnoise and keeps your warm/cold inside the cockpit. You can always purchase one separately, but it would be as cost effective.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Miguel said:
The only person I know in the forum that didn't order the touring option was TimMullen. You can try to do a search on what he had to say.
I couldn't say how they differ in sound etc., since I don't have the Touring Option, I've never driven one that has it.

I can say that the car is not that noisy - you can heard the nice engine sounds, but it isn't bad at all; nothing annoying.

I didn't notice any extra heat in the cabin during a couple of hours of driving it yesterday around the country side. We felt the side sills, and they were not warm to the touch or anything. I'm glad I didn't get the touring - I like the bare aluminum. The cloth seats are nice - I didn't want the leather seats of the touring. I haven't heard any rattling from the manual windows, but then again I don't have that many miles on it yet.

I haven't put the top back on it since it left the dealers, so I don't have any pictures of the inside of the top, but it's simply one layer of the cloth - no lining.

I can say that my wife never liked driving around in my R Package Miata (factory stiffer springs, etc - kind of like the LSS without the tires), but she seemed to like the Elise (standard suspension). The Elise has a much smoother/softer ride then the R package Miata - not plush by any means, it's just that bumps and potholes don't rattle you teeth like the R package (but you do feel them).

At speed, the Elise is quiet enough that we could carry on conversations without any difficulty - no shouting. The radio was a bit hard to hear, but after we got back we discovered that the speaker were "faded" all the way to the front.

I can't tell you how loud it is inside the car with the roof on, because it's never been back on.

That any help???

·
Registered
803 Posts
LSS but no touring

I ordered the hard top and LSS Sport Package but did not order the Touring Package.

It would be interesting to compare rides in a Touring and non-Touring cars and volunteer my car for the latter.

My impression is that the hard top keeps some of the noise in or does not allow the wind to mask it. There are significant sounds all the time, gear whine from the shifter, clunks from the suspension over the bumps, resonations from the floor, fire wall, and engine.

I find none of it obtrusive and prefer to know what is going on. As you say, this is not a luxury sedan and compromises in sound deadening were made in the name of lightness and handling. For example, many people replace the isolations bushings in the suspension with harder materials like Delrin in order to reduce the suspension compliance.

Now, there are some noises we all want! I like the standard exhaust noise. I also really, really like the intake noise when the engine gets on cam. Wow!

Michael

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
With the top off, I seriously doubt that touring has any affect on the noise level because the wind noise trumps all other noises and that should be the same.

With the top on, I hear all kinds of stuff. It certainly does not seem muffled in the touring pack car. I wonder if the touring really only includes the extra liner of the soft top?

I have not seen anything that looks like insulation or sound absorbing material. Has anyone else?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Randy,
I thought they added the material underneath the chassis and perhaps even inside the chassis beams (probably standard on all cars, regardless).

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Vantage said:
Randy,
I thought they added the material underneath the chassis and perhaps even inside the chassis beams (probably standard on all cars, regardless).
I only see bare aluminum under the car.

I thought about it, but can't recall ever hearing or reading exactly what the Touring Pack extra thermal and noise insulation was. We know about the extra padded liner in the soft top. What else?

On the open engine side of the firewall, it looks the same as the non-touring, right? Maybe there is something on the cabin side of the firewall? Maybe they are counting the extra carpet and the marketing guys went overboard?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Randy Chase said:
I thought about it, but can't recall ever hearing or reading exactly what the Touring Pack extra thermal and noise insulation was. We know about the extra padded liner in the soft top. What else?
I thought I read somewhere that the open spaces in the frame were filled with insulation (i.e. inside the sidesills and such)?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts