The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be doing some unfamiliar interstate travel in Thunderstorms and rain tomorrow, about 3 hours of driving.....I've not driven this car with these tires in the rain before. Think its safe?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I have to take it easy on my stock Yokos in the rain, but it's not that bad. It's just that you have to drive it like you would a van or station wagon. I don't think your LSS tires will handle much differently in the rain, especially since they're relatively new and have tread.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
If it was wet roads and a light rain, you might be OK. With thunderstorms, who knows, but I certainly wouldn't experiment with such a long drive - you could be stuck a long way from home! Save the learning process for some time when you can just drive around the block.

Yes, they're new tires, and yes, there's plenty of tread - just not very many *grooves*!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the problem is Im stuck doing it. We have our first service tomorrow in Ohio, or my husband cant autocross the car on Sunday. He was going to take it down to Altanta but something came up so I promised I'd take it to Ohio myself. Now Im sitting here worried about the rain.... Im supposed to leave in 5 hours.

Im worried about hydroplaning since these tires dont have regular tread.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I should add one thing - I have no idea what I'm talking about. Meaning, I've never driven a car with those tires. I'm just basing this on what I've heard second-hand, and what I learned driving with worn high performance tires on my MR2 in inclement weather.

As they say, YMMV.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Well, if you have to do it, I'm sure it can be done. As you know, standing water will be your biggest concern. If you're facing thunderstorms, perhaps you could leave early, such that you can stop and wait for any bad storm to pass rather than be driving in it? Try following a large truck, stay in their tirelines as they clear water from the road. Go around corners as if the roads were covered in ice (SLOW!).

Be smart about it, and you'll probably be fine...

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I just hate having to drive for three hours on the edge of my seat, worry about totalling the car and totalling myself in the process. :(

I dont mind rain, its just that this car is so light, and so small, and with these race tires and heavy rain ( from Ivan) I just worry.

Oh well. :(

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have the Yoko A032's and have driven them in very heavy rain on the highway... at 50mph. I had no problems at that speed but I think would be pretty nervous above 65. This is on a 3rd Gen RX-7 but they are 255's all around. The car is heavier of course but the tires a quite a bit wider (I think that would make it easier to hydroplane??). Just take it easy and you will be fine.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I hit a major rainstorm on my roadtrip. The car did not feel stable once it really came down. I slowed down to 40mph.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
OFL, Be safe! your life or even the Elise is not worth an autocross. Re-schedule! The other thing I also find is that driving the Elise in the dark with the top up is a lot more nerve wrecking because you have so much less visibility. When the top is down you can see soo much more around you that it gives you a lot more confidence but you obviously can't do that in Ivan's pooring rain!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Standing water is the problem as long as the temps are above 55.

Cool temps and water also cause a problem with the 48's.

Take it easy and be prepared for the car to "drift" around a bit.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Just to add to what others have said, I've driven the A032Rs in the rain on my Z-car. Its not a lot of fun, and I take it very slow. The main thing I'll add is: put your flashers on. The last thing you need is some bozo plowing into the back of your because they think if the have a 4wd SUV its safe to go 90 in a thunderstorm.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made it, but yeah...it wasnt fun. I managed 60mph when others were blowing past me doing 80 which IMHO was unsafe in ANY vehicle. I wouldnt want to repeat this kind of trip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts