The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to hear a seat-of-the-pants review from an owner who has had his Elise on a road course. :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've taken my 111R to Winton Raceway twice now:

http://www.wintonraceway.com.au/

Winton is a favorite with Aussie Elises ...

What would you like to know?

The balance is superb!
The 111R spanked a Boxter S and Nissan R33 GTR

The only competition is other elises!

·
Registered
186 Posts
:rolleyes: It's nice to see a comment from someone who's color blind and can't spell.

"Guy waits this long for one of the first Elises in the US and gets pruple? "

It's amazing how defensive people get about their cars. Act like they built the Vette! Most Vette owners I know are down to earth enthusiasts. But every bunch has it's bad apples. Oh well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
After reading

I hope we get classed in SS, would love 2 see 111R's vs Z06
could be the begining of a RIVALRY.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I was the one who drove that "pruple" car at the autoX. I can tell you that my times, on standard street tires with a novice driver (first time), were as good as any Vette there. I kid you not, and there were 3 or 5 of them. See my thread under "The Elise Experience" and "Autocrossing!". They weren't all in SS.

The course was tight, so the Vettes couldn't use their speed as well. But I add-I did not get into the V V AT ALL! So my great acceleration will be used on a longer course, too. It does indeed look like the standard and LSS models, unchanged save for tires, will be classed SS. It should be a lot of fun!

:D

·
Registered
446 Posts
amcmahon said:
It's nice to see a comment from someone who's color blind and can't spell. ..
Umm... I'm all for having some fun talking smack, but you were being a troll on that thread, so I'm not surprised they told you to get lost.

I obviously prefer the Elise to the Vette, and that's why I ordered one rather than picking up one of the plentiful Z06's, but your statements there regarding the Vette have little merit.

Autocross: I don't think anyone knows yet how the 111R will do against a Z06 on either a tight or open course because none have gone head to head yet. You ASS-U-ME that one will be superior in a given set of circumstances, but you know what happens when you ... We'll see round one in Kansas I hope, it should be a fun show (even though it won't be for the title).

Coolness, prestige & exotic level: Again, my personal opinion is shown by my choice of vehicles, but you seriously discounted the Corvette's own racing history. You should see those yellow cars blast through Tetre Rouge and run down the Mulsanne Straight sometime, if you did you wouldn't so easily dismiss them. Lotus' F1 and Indy history are certainly impressive, but that was a long time ago... how many people ask you what Lotus is when you tell them that's what you're getting next? Or when you say "brand" are you talking about Chevrolet? Again... a ton of racing history. (Hopefully someone will talk them into F1 sometime soon.) And finally, does the Elise itself have any racing prestige?

But comments to the effect that my car is ten times better than your car, on the bulletin board of that car, collectively make us look stuck up and make you look stupid.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yes,

Mark and Dave from Hunting Ridge Motors are the first ( I believe ) in the US to take a new Elise on the track up at Lime Rock Park. It was at a Ferrari Club event. Mark told me yesterday that the little Elise had the Ferrari's for breakfast. BTW that Elise was not even LSS:eek:

FYIF, the car was Hunting Ridges demo:D
What a way to get use out of a demo:D :D :D

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
coulthard fan said:

Autocross: I don't think anyone knows yet how the 111R will do against a Z06 on either a tight or open course because none have gone head to head yet.
Actually I have. Granted it was flawed as far as a study between the two cars. But I was 2.5 seconds back from a nationally driven Z-06. Some of that was tires (Hoosiers vs the A048s). Some of that was I didn't walk the course (but very little, I often don't walk courses). Some of that, or maybe a lot of that, was me not having a lot experience autocrossing this car. But... a lot of that was tire spinning on corner exit.

We will know a lot more after this Sunday.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I know Randy but...

Randy Chase said:
Actually I have. Granted it was flawed as far as a study between the two cars. ....
When I say head to head I mean a fully sorted hoosier/kumho equipped 111R vs a like equipped Z06 with nationally ranked drivers such as yourself. I for one am hoping to see you do exactly that in Topeka or sooner :) Good luck.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by coulthard fan

Autocross: I don't think anyone knows yet how the 111R will do against a Z06 on either a tight or open course because none have gone head to head yet. "

This doesn't quite hold water as a statement. I competed on a very tight course with street tires against Vettes with Hoosiers, and I did as well or better, and I have a ton to learn. I think, based on my very limited experience I'll grant, that when similarly-prepared Vettes and Elises compete with similar drivers, the Elise will come out on top more than not. We shall see!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Surferjer,

Again, I'm talking about head to head competition at the national level, but I think you raise an interesting point that is good news to all of us. Namely, the Elise may be easier to drive fast on an autocross course than larger high powered cars (i.e. Vettes) and as a result, a novice (or regionally competitive driver like myself) may have an advantage against competitors of the same or somewhat higher skill level.

Getting back on topic, I belive this same theory may be true on a road course, but I won't know that until shortly after my 1000 mile break in period!

Scott
Biding his time in an H Stock Mini #14

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I sincerely believe that the Elise will reward a less skilled driver (not referring to anyone here!). It goes where you point it with little fuss and rewards some aggression without getting upset.

But I think the same can be said for the Z-06. In my experience, in both cars I would have had to use throttle control.

Anyway.. we will know a lot more after Sunday. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
coulthard fan said:
Umm... I'm all for having some fun talking smack, but you were being a troll on that thread, so I'm not surprised they told you to get lost.
Troll!? I registered with that forum way before I was on this one. I was very close to getting a C6 instead of the Elise. But unlike the biased knuckleheads I was referring to I was just bringing light to an obviously foreign subject to some. Talk about Troll I've been posting here awhile and don't ever recall seeing your name much if at all.

I obviously prefer the Elise to the Vette, and that's why I ordered one rather than picking up one of the plentiful Z06's, but your statements there regarding the Vette have little merit.
I barely made any statements on the Vette in that post so you have no reference for a basis. I said in a tight course the Elise will win. Given some straights the Z06 for sure. Tell me what's wrong with that? The Elise has been around since 96. I think one can make an assessment based off the existing data. I don't need to see a head to head match to know which car should technically win in a given circumstance.

Coolness, prestige & exotic level: Again, my personal opinion is shown by my choice of vehicles, but you seriously discounted the Corvette's own racing history. You should see those yellow cars blast through Tetre Rouge and run down the Mulsanne Straight sometime, if you did you wouldn't so easily dismiss them. Lotus' F1 and Indy history are certainly impressive, but that was a long time ago... how many people ask you what Lotus is when you tell them that's what you're getting next? Or when you say "brand" are you talking about Chevrolet? Again... a ton of racing history. (Hopefully someone will talk them into F1 sometime soon.) And finally, does the Elise itself have any racing prestige?
It's not a big secret. Lotus is considered an exotic. Regardless of engine make or cost. Chevy is exactly that. A Chevy. I'm not knockin Chevy or any other car label. But truth be told no one is gleaming with pride and vanity because they drive a Chevy. But a Lotus has a status that comes with it much like Porsche, Aston Martin, Ferrari. That's my point. And the badge is Lotus not Elise so the racing history is there. But that's all irrelevant to my post. My post was relatively neutral. If you don't take it that way it's because you think your $hit doesn't stink and your car can't be beat. I did no Vette bashing whatsoever. As for making me look stupid. Whatever, I'm one of those arrogant pricks that struts with a smile and exudes vanity in spades. I will look down on you and laugh knowing that I bought this car as a 3rd car for fun and can afford the finer things in life while you live in your priceless Chevy.

* (No I'm not actually like that. You just got me heated up cuz like so many people do, you misread the meaning of my post entirely. But yes, there are those that do that exact act of vanity.)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Hey, Randy-I know I'm "less skilled", no offense taken! That being said, I think I will get a whole lot better, and I'm very interested to see what this little car can with a more skilled driver. I can't wait to see what you do, and I can't wait until next summer when I'll have more experience AND sticky tires.

The Vette guys should be concerned. The arrogance on the Vette board is surprising, although it's a very small sample size. I think they're in for a heck of a surprise. The assumption that they'll be on top simply because of their nameplate is rather alarming. I think an attitude adjustment is in order. Please give them one, Randy.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
amcmahon said:
I'm not knockin Chevy or any other car label. But truth be told no one is gleaming with pride and vanity because they drive a Chevy.
Sure they are...

Just like they're gleaming with pride because they just got new silver trim on their mobile home :p

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
amcmahon-the badge statement on the Vette board was kind of adversarial, sorry. I generally agree with your words, but sometimes things are better left unsaid. In addition, Corvette is a name which is much higher in prestige and stature than "Chevy". We know (or at least believe) that the Lotus badge carries a big premium in prestige. I get reminded daily when people come up to me in my Elise. But there's no good reason to talk down to those guys. Let the track times do the talkin.

Personally, I believe that THIS Elise does not give away that much in the straights, either, and only a few turns gives the Elise an advantage. I will learn more (and perhaps be taught a lesson by the Vettes) in September at the next auotX here, which is on a much larger track with longer straights.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts