The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw a video of an Elise revving without the exhaust on. I must say, it sounds pretty mean! And no worries about how much the "new" exhaust will weigh compared to stock.

Has anyone done or considered this? I doubt I'll do it but it's fun pondering about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IQ9DwQI-Q

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I don't have an Elise, but I do have a 2ZZ and know what it sounds like without the exhaust. A couple months ago, a weld completely broke off on my Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system right in front of the resonator. All I had was the cat hanging and it was so loud. It actually sounded alright and a bit mean at idle, but as soon as you gave it gas, it was so obnoxious, made the car rattle, and would hurt your ears driving. Fortunately Magnaflow has a lifetime warranty and I got it replaced very quickly.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If you want to do this, just fab up a straight pipe and get that heat away.... I can imagine the sound may get old after a while though. I've run both Honda and Nissan 4-cylinders without exhausts (not by choice) and man are they freaking loud.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, I don't have an Elise, but I do have a 2ZZ and know what it sounds like without the exhaust. A couple months ago, a weld completely broke off on my Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system right in front of the resonator. All I had was the cat hanging and it was so loud. It actually sounded alright and a bit mean at idle, but as soon as you gave it gas, it was so obnoxious, made the car rattle, and would hurt your ears driving. Fortunately Magnaflow has a lifetime warranty and I got it replaced very quickly.
After getting my headers installed and while waiting for my new Von Hep to come in, I actually ran the car a couple of times without exhaust or cat. It is obnoxiously loud when under load. Idling was mean, initial throttle sounded mean, but once you get into 3-6,000 rpms it was disgusting. It was fun for about 5 minutes. Driving on the highway was unbearable. I had to put in ear plugs. 2nd Cam was LOUD. My friend who was following me said it sounded like one of them civics rotfl.

Needless to say, I won't do that again. And you probably won't be able to do it either for an extended period of time. BTW, everything felt like it was going to vibrate apart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, mine broke on the way to work on a Thursday. I was able to get a local supplier on Friday to get one ordered. I worked from home on Friday and didn't go anywhere on the weekend because I couldn't stand driving it. Monday morning they got the new system, I drove down, picked it up and installed it. I never tried the 2nd cam, but I can imagine how bad it was. I was cringing every time I had to accelerate back then.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i drive all the time with a 3" 2bular muffler. I do wear earplugs, but not necessary. :evil: 2nd cam is really loud. Tunnels :evil: underpasses :evil:

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I was making my exhaust I couldn't resist ripping around with no exhaust on for like 15mins it sounds pretty..... RAW. Tone of course sounds so much better with any exhaust even if it's tiny can. Like other people were saying if u decide 2 go straight pipe get a section made so the heat is taken out the back rather than into the clam. It is pretty damn loud but I"m sure u'll get tired of that pretty quick.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I wouldn't do it the heat that gets routed out along with the exhaust gases is bound to do no good and could even cause a fire.
Very good point.
I just saw an Elise go up in flames at the track earlier this week because the exhaust pipe broke.
Leave it on an make sure everything is tight...

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
i drove mine up and down the driveway without an exhaust, fine for that, but like everyone else says the heat build up is bad, the other thing being that the car spits raw fuel out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts