The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have just too many wheels stacked all over the place (garage, storage room, garage walk-in closet) and I would really like to get them all off of the ground.

I was looking at 1 1/4" conduit to build a double stack tire rack to hold two racks of 8 wheels per rack and hang/attach it to the wall. I am worried most about it coming off of the wall as I would be securing it to just the studs(through the drywall walls). Do you think this would be enough? I really wanted them to stick out from the wall like shelves but would be over the car, so not coming down is a big deal.:)

I could always run conduit from floor to ceiling and secure it that way but really don't want anything sticking out from the wall at floor level.

Any suggestions are welcomed!!

TIA!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I made one out of angle iron. I just welded it into a rectangular box with the four cororners sticking out for legs or ground clearance. then I undercoated it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
For guidance you might want to check out the various setups that are sold to be mounted in trailers; I think they would be exactly what you want. It may not even pay to design/engineer your own solution -- some of those racks are fairly inexpensive, and in a garage, I imagine weight is less of an issue :)

Just start by googling "tire race race trailer" and you'll be on your way!

Steve

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Neat solution! But it doesn't give you floor space. I made one from 2 X 4s for 8 tires and atached it to the wall (studs) but also suspended it from the ceiling joists with chains and hooks. I'm divorcing, it's all taken apart, but it was pretty neat and got the tires high enough to walk underneath it.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
We have just too many wheels stacked all over the place (garage, storage room, garage walk-in closet) and I would really like to get them all off of the ground.

I was looking at 1 1/4" conduit to build a double stack tire rack to hold two racks of 8 wheels per rack and hang/attach it to the wall. I am worried most about it coming off of the wall as I would be securing it to just the studs(through the drywall walls). Do you think this would be enough? I really wanted them to stick out from the wall like shelves but would be over the car, so not coming down is a big deal.:)

I could always run conduit from floor to ceiling and secure it that way but really don't want anything sticking out from the wall at floor level.

Any suggestions are welcomed!!

TIA!!
what sort of 1 1/4" conduit are you thinking about using?

i made a large rack for our SUV snowtires out of 2x4, 2x6 and 2x8's. lag bolted the heck out of it into the wall.

obviously, this is not something you want to under-build.

as seen here:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice Rack ........ but you can buy a lot of 2x4's for that price.

Hey wait a minute! Are you complimenting me on my rack? :panic:

Agreed, 2x4s are way cheaper. Maybe we need to do a group buy to get a better price? :shrug: Say it was 99? or ???

Cheers,
-Darryl
(who does not work for tire rack.)

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Actually the recent Tire Rack ad in Sports Car (SCCA magazine) shows a tire rack for $129.
Here:
Tire Accessories - Tire Rack Tire Storage Rack

You're welcome. :)
We have two of these and they're great. I'd wanted to build something, but figured, with the way my home improvement projects go...this would ultimately be a less expensive, more attractive solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts