The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why Lotus fits a prop rod with this rear hatch lid instead of struts? Is it for weight savings? Is it because the hood does not weigh enough to warrant struts? I wouldn't mind fitting some struts on instead of the prop rod, but I haven't even looked into what kind of calculations need to be made or if the oem struts would work. Any thoughts or insights would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think the gas struts are more of an ergonomic aid to reduce weight while lifting and therefor not needed. personally, I think the prop rod is a retro cool.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I'm confident that it was for weight and simplicity. If I were to add a gas strut to my CF lid, I would not drill into anything but rather fab up some bracket plates and use 3m VHB tape to bond. This way I could remove with as little damage as possible. JMHO

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
359 Posts
The simplest appropriate solution is generally the best.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
a gas strut will also cause undue stress to the mounting points when closed, causing things to bend and eventually crack.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I'm confident that it was for weight and simplicity. If I were to add a gas strut to my CF lid, I would not drill into anything but rather fab up some bracket plates and use 3m VHB tape to bond. This way I could remove with as little damage as possible. JMHO
Yep no way I would drill into the carbon fiber. I'm fine with current setup

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
After each drive, I prop open my CF deck (to allow the heat to escape as I hate to let things "bake" in their own juices) and then activate the latch to turn off the trunk light. I also do this to plug in my Battery Tender. When I'm ready to go, there is a "release tab" on the side of the latch mechanism (on the CF lid) to release/open the latch so that it can be closed. This latch is what turns on/off the trunk light. Just FYI.
I'm also fine with the simple prop-rod

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
Hmmm, since I got my louvers, why bother?

·
Illegal Alien
4,971 Posts
How many others just rest the lid on top of their head when getting something in trunk or connecting charger?
I do, it weights almost nothing

Reactions: Miscible_Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just as a side note, the Hethel Sport fiberglass replica does have the strut mounting points.

I ended up going with the OEM one and have thought about using some rubber wedges up at the hinge area if I ever needed it to be open and have the prop rod out of the way when working on it. I know it's really light but my only concern would be if that would put too much stress on the mounting bolts.

·
Illegal Alien
4,971 Posts
Just as a side note, the Hethel Sport fiberglass replica does have the strut mounting points.

I ended up going with the OEM one and have thought about using some rubber wedges up at the hinge area if I ever needed it to be open and have the prop rod out of the way when working on it. I know it's really light but my only concern would be if that would put too much stress on the mounting bolts.
The Hethel GRP hatch is much heavier than the OEM CF unit. I would be concerned of the shear stress from the struts on the hatch mount while closed.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the GRP hydraulic engine cover lift. I have one and love it. Bolts into stock bolt locations, no drilling or cutting required. Easy 10 minute install. Very light weight too but not as light as the prop rod obviously.

Link: GRP Hydraulic Trunk Lid Strut Kit for Elise

·
Illegal Alien
4,971 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the GRP hydraulic engine cover lift. I have one and love it. Bolts into stock bolt locations, no drilling or cutting required. Easy 10 minute install. Very light weight too but not as light as the prop rod obviously.

Link: GRP Hydraulic Trunk Lid Strut Kit for Elise
Wrong car model. It make work with some modifications, but ??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts