1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
how much does it weigh?:D

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I saw a program on LoJack and have to say that I was a little unimpressed with how it works. They say they have a great recovery rate, but it also requires a LOT of work by police to track the car with little beeps on a little screen....

Your police also have to be set up to work with LoJack, many States arent.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Jenn,
I think I saw the same program, it seems like a really primitive system and very labor intensive for the police. I can't believe they don't have something using GPS.

Lojack is only good if you live in a large selected metropolitan area, and like Jenn was totally underwhelmed by it.
Chris

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I have looked into it but they said they were frankly afraid of the car. There's a GPS based internet system which the local installer seemed to think he'd have no problem with. I'm going to wait and see. I'm not worried about someone stealing my car to break it up and part it. Only concerned about joy-riders.

·
Registered
556 Posts
LoJerk DON'T DO IT

LoJack does NOT work in all states, not all major cities.
I sell security systems and all this is, is a monoply for insurance companies. I personally will not sell or have not sold one of these in my 18 yrs in the business.

If you want to keep them out or away, just put in a great security system like Viper.

My Viper 791XV will page me within 3 seconds when the alarm falses or goes off up to a 2 mile range. It will tell me weather the door opens, hood (bonnett) opens or shock sensor goes off.

I had a very good friend had his Mustang stolen (no alarm), the police found it and after 3 weeks in the body shop he had it back (not by choice). 7 months later the tranny needed all new gears and clutch with only 30K miles on the car and the insurance would not cover the new transmission nor would ford cover under warr. once it showed up on carfax that it was a stolen recovery.
So he was screwed, had to fix and then he sold it (7 months too late!!)

Bruce

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Jenn,
I think I saw the same program, it seems like a really primitive system and very labor intensive for the police. I can't believe they don't have something using GPS.

Lojack is only good if you live in a large selected metropolitan area, and like Jenn was totally underwhelmed by it.
Chris
lol, we probably did see the same program. Wasnt that a joke!? The little beeping thing reminded me of a bad atari game! Seems like for police it would be like using a metal detector to find a cufflink in a million acre field!

I had always imagined a GPS sort of thing with street maps and following the signal precisely to an address like OnStar.

When I saw how it worked I was a little incredulous.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm far from an expert on car theft, but logic tells me the Elise won't be attractive for profit-driven thieves. Because the customer base is so small, there won't be a thriving market infrastructure for stolen parts. It will also be a very hard car to sell/drive around town without calling immediate attention. Even selling it in a different city would be hard. The car's relative scarcity would make each individual car easier to track. No?

I can see Elises being stolen and imported overseas, but that requires organized crime -- which can make quicker profit selling M-B SL500s, et al. Less hassle, more cars to choose from, more money from the sale.

This leaves joyriders as the most likely thieves -- do they outnumber for-profit crooks?

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
I'm far from an expert on car theft, but logic tells me the Elise won't be attractive for profit-driven thieves. Because the customer base is so small, there won't be a thriving market infrastructure for stolen parts. It will also be a very hard car to sell/drive around town without calling immediate attention. Even selling it in a different city would be hard. The car's relative scarcity would make each individual car easier to track. No?

I can see Elises being stolen and imported overseas, but that requires organized crime -- which can make quicker profit selling M-B SL500s, et al. Less hassle, more cars to choose from, more money from the sale.

This leaves joyriders as the most likely thieves -- do they outnumber for-profit crooks?
Your dead on. the reason I'm getting LoJack are joyriders not chop shop types.

·
Registered
687 Posts
wallabyguy said:
Your dead on. the reason I'm getting LoJack are joyriders not chop shop types.
Joyriders are going to have a pretty tough time stealing the car. You have to know how to open the door. The immobilizer has to be deactivated/bypassed. Some might not notice the start button and try to start using non-active third position in the key hole.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
You're right but you should never underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.:D

If it makes my wife sleep better, than it's worth every dime.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have LoJack on my Elise. Installation took a little longer than what the dealer initially mentioned, but I think that this was because the installer had never seen an Elise before and therefore had no idea where to put it. I've looked for the transponder, but haven't found it, which is supposed to be good. Apparently it's well supported here in Miami, and I would just as soon have the system in place in case somebody decides to run off for a joy ride or something...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
There didn't look like that many places were available to hide it from the owner. I would have guessed you'd be able to spot it.
Can you follow the power wires or antenna tap back to it?

I hear the dealer will not tell you where they put it. That's seems strange to me, since I may want to install other electronics and make sure not to disturb it.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: networkcar

fitnutrn said:
i just went to the network car site, located a dealer close to where I live in los angeles but was told that they only install the unit on the cars they sell(audis and porsches), has anyone gotten this unit installed on to his elise?

rick
Heidi did have it installed. You can find
her on the puresportscar site.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts