The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park in a public garage so I'm not able to use a trickle charger. I've been pretty good about driving the car regularly but was out of town for the past 2.5 weeks and came back to a totally dead battery. I have a friend with a portable jump starter so will try to get'er going again with that.

Any tips / things to know before I try it? I understand there's a trunk release cable under the back bench so I can get at the battery. The manual has some scary warnings about damaging the electronics, etc. from jump starting but I don't really have a choice...

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Manual says to remove battery and charge it outside. Warranty will NOT cover ECU if it fries when you try jump starting it.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Don't worry about it. Very many of us have had to do it. And I haven't heard of any fried ECUs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've jump started twice with no problems.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had to do it twice and no issue so far.

·
Premium Member
8,381 Posts
Non Issue. If comcerned, get pushed and drop clutch, old school but very efficient

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Aren't batteries toast anyways if you run them completely dead? If so, why not just get a new battery?

yup.. AC, when you get your new battery (trust me your battery is toast and will just give you more grief if you continue using it), put a cheap cutoff switch on it next time you decide to let your car sit for more than a few days.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine dies after 2-3 days!

Dealer already checked battery drain at 35 mA

Bought car 1 month ago, but it sat at dealer for a year

Going on vacation for 3 weeks, so dealer is replacing battery & will test for 2 weeks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey so I know nobody likes jumping an Evora because of the whole Ecuador thing .. I left my dome light on and my 5 month old battery died in about 3 days ..really don't want to take it out I heard bad stories of frying Ecu when connecting to a car with key in the ignition .. I will be using a booster pack..as long as the key isn't in I should be fine right ?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You'll be fine. When I bought mine it had a dead battery from sitting in the lot. I had to keep jumping it on and off with a booster pack for a week or so until I swapped out the battery. The stock one wouldn't hold a charge for more than a couple days.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a lot of cars (and a lot of trickle chargers portable jumpers and a shop time battery charger), my favorite small portable is the NOCO genius, I also have a really powerful one (it is about $399 but worth every penny) with extra long cables that is made for trucks, but I found if I leave it on a dead battery for about 20 minutes and the take it off it will start. Some cars are more sensitive to being jump started (Ferrari's are very sensitive ) but that is usually meant for jump started from a car since there can be a spike from the other car. You should be fine with the portable unit.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lots of people have jumped without issue, but I'm not one of them. I fried my ECM the one and only time it was jumped. it was a $3k mistake, and I'll never jump mine again. I can only recommend not to based off my own experience.

I've since started plugging my battery up to a trickle charger and I bought a voltage reader that I leave plugged into the plug behind the arm rest so I always know where my voltage is at

·
Registered
65 Posts
Was the key in the ignition as the wires were being hooked up? I understand from the forum that the ECU is really sensitive and the keys shouldn't be in the ignition when the wires are being connected. You should only putting the key when you're about to start.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Was the key in the ignition as the wires were being hooked up? I understand from the forum that the ECU is really sensitive and the keys should be the ignition when the wires are being connected. You should only putting the key when you're about to start.
My dealership were the ones to jump it when it fried, so I cant say for sure, but I assume so. I attempted to jump it the night before with the key out, but it didn't get the comms error until the dealership got their hands on it the following day.

of course they took 0 responsibility

*edit* either way, based off my experience, I will never try to jump it again while hooked up to the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts