The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where is the cheapest place to buy St II exhaust. I remember Patricko got his for around 750.00 from somewhere???. QS is around 675.00 from Shinoo right?.

I would like to hear soundclips of the 2 exhausts side by side. I know people were thinking of doing this but has it been done yet???

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
You and everyone else. Patience; it's coming.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I paid around $615-625 for my Stage 2 at the dealer. As I've suggested before, make sure you do comparisons on broken-in exhausts so that the final sound can be heard. They quiet down a bit as the packing gets loaded with soot.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Adamant-I'm not sure about your sound comment. Let's wait for the tests...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Vantage said:
If Patricko comes to the meet this weekend, I can take some clips. In car quality is unknown, but out of car clips are easy.
I would come but it is a long way from Hong Kong:)

I will see you guys next time.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I have a stage 2 which is well broken in. I offered once and no takers. I am looking for somewhere to drive this weekend. Do you guys want to get on with this comparison of exhausts or not? If not.....no problem!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
pianomaniac said:
Depends.....if you guys are serious......it's no problem. I love to drive.
Um, yeah, guys, I'm pretty sure P-Man needs little or no prodding to get him to drive his car any distance. Any excuse is a good excuse...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
pianomaniac said:
Depends.....if you guys are serious......it's no problem. I love to drive.
Then no problems! Would love to have you there.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
Um, yeah, guys, I'm pretty sure P-Man needs little or no prodding to get him to drive his car any distance. Any excuse is a good excuse...
Right on! I didn't buy it to sit in the garage. :no:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Pman-I like your thinking. How many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Gave Patrick a blast in my car this evening. Shame I did'nt think of recording it. Maybe he can describe what my Yoshimura system sounds like from outside....

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Here are the two culprits...looks like both use much smaller than stock muffler cans. The Stage 2 uses a 1 in 1 out round muffler and then splits the pipes near the tips. With smaller tips the piece would easily fit through the stock diffuser. Rolled edge on the tip, and a resonator type perforated tip lining.

The Quicksilver uses a 1 in 2 out oval shaped muffler with true dual pipes leading to the tips. Cut off edge on the tip (nonrolled) and no lining. Shinier.

I can see why they would tend to sound different from one another. From raw muffler cubic inches alone it looks like they are pretty similar....the QS appears to be shorter, but has a wider cross-section. It also looks prettier, although the Bling will be covered up by the diffuser when installed. You only see the tips on an Elise, and barely.

I look forward to hearing Jer's broken-in QS in a couple weeks so that we can compare the sounds to my Stage 2. From memory it seemed like my Stage 2 sounded louder and deeper but had the same basic sound character as the OE system. I wonder if the QS has a different nature or not.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Nice deduction, Stan. I never thought to look at the build of these units. I will tell you-QS sounds very different than the stock exhaust. The pitch, growl, backfeed, all of it. It sounds kind of like a different car.

Stan, the autoX on the 24th has been postponed to the 31st, and I don't think I can do that one. I will update. Are you wandering through the area any time soon?

I will scour the autoX boards for another meet, and get back to you. There's still a chance I'll go to the 31st meet.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Well I have two events this weekend up here. Not sure after that, we'll see! Saturday = M3, Sunday = Elise.

BTW the Saturday event at Orchard Beach in the Bronx S/B pretty interesting. It's the TriState Autocross challenge in which each state sends in representatives and each State's group tries to win. NY won last year so it's on their home turf, a wonderful site with acres of pristine asphalt. I'm with the CT gang and am driving my E30 M3 in it.

But two top level national driver's will be driving an Elise on Hoosiers in Super Stock. For anyone nearby it might be interesting to check out. The site is on an Island, is easy to get to off the highway and is "safe" for the Bronx. It's the *HUGE* parking lot for the beach which is now closed for the season.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts