The Lotus Cars Community banner

has anyone heard St II vs Quicksilver exhaust side by side?

4695 37
where is the cheapest place to buy St II exhaust. I remember Patricko got his for around 750.00 from somewhere???. QS is around 675.00 from Shinoo right?.

I would like to hear soundclips of the 2 exhausts side by side. I know people were thinking of doing this but has it been done yet???
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Stan said:
I paid around $615-625 for my Stage 2 at the dealer. As I've suggested before, make sure you do comparisons on broken-in exhausts so that the final sound can be heard. They quiet down a bit as the packing gets loaded with soot.

did dealer install and if so, how much for labor???...or did you do install yourself??...not sure I want to tackle that one myself.

·
Premium Member
27,787 Posts
Someone else can do a sound meter or audio capture.

This morning we compared the Stage 2 and the QuickSilver.

I listened about 4 feet away as each car was blipped, idled, and then taken to 5k rpm. The Stage 2 and QS both have about 300 miles on them.

Really, they sound very similar. I think the idle on the QS was a little louder, but not a lot. There is a slightly different tone, but if you listened to one, and 30 minutes later listened to the other, I doubt you would notice.

My 2 cents.

·
Banned
6,934 Posts
>>>did dealer install and if so, how much for labor???...or did you do install yourself??...not sure I want to tackle that one myself.<<<

It's really not that big a deal if you are a handy sort. I'm pretty hands-on but in this case I just paid the dealer about $200-225 while I was in for the first check-up anyway. So roughly 615-625 for a Stage 2 alone, or about 850 installed in about an hour or two.

·
Banned
6,934 Posts
>>> I think the idle on the QS was a little louder, but not a lot. <<<

Well if idle is louder, it will tend to be louder when loaded and revved too.

This makes two people saying that the QS seems to be a bit louder than a Lotus Stage 2, which is different than the QS claims.

Sounds like it's meter time, and ideally with a spectrum analyzer.

Use the A-scale on an SPL meter, slow response if you try this out...that's what tracks and the SCCA use for such matters. There is more to it than that of course.

To get relative dB you can just keep distances constant and go for it to get a sense of things. If you want to get SPL numbers that others can duplicate and that are more credible you need to start doing things like testing with the cars far away from anything, more accurate distances, heights and angles. For example inside of a garage would throw things off. If you are careful, deliberate sort, you can duplicate official tests though with about a dB or so.

Stan

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Stan is right on the money regarding the recommendations for sound measurements. I've been super busy this past week and will be out of town mostly for the next two weeks, but hope to be able to coordinate some systematic noise measurements using local cars, in the near future, assuming I can find some willing "subjects" in the area.

·
Premium Member
27,787 Posts
If anyone can bring an Elise with a Stage 2 to Qualcomm tomorrow, call me at 619 916 8969. We will have a calibrated professional sound meter there for the autocross.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,688 Posts
Stan said:
This makes two people saying that the QS seems to be a bit louder than a Lotus Stage 2, which is different than the QS claims.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

The only official claims are listed here.

Having heard the two, I don't think there is going to be a big difference in sound levels. I guess if the QS is louder than Stage2 that will help explain why the QS is 3+ lbs lighter! :p ;)

But we'll find out soon enough. :)

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Hey, Shinoo-I didn't get a new 2.5 inch clamp-I had to cough up $1 exactly for a clamp at NAPA, and got a 2.75! What a ripoff!

;)

Yesterday I coughed up ANOTHER $1 for a 2.5. Maybe it'll quiet my tiger down a bit...

·
Premium Member
27,787 Posts
mact3333 said:
so nobody met Randy at qualcomm with a st. II????
Nope. But we got some readings of my car. Around 93dBa at 50 feet under full throttle (2nd gear, on cams). Sound was about 90dBa for 3rd gear 1/4 throttle.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
sheesh, still no sound clip comparisons????...get to work people...:):)...actually, I dont really care anymore cause Shinoo will help me(actually, I will help him) install mine so by default, I gotta go QS now.

·
Banned
6,934 Posts
I forgot my meter but Surferjer and I compared the Lotus Stage 2 and the Quicksilver side-by-side at the Saturday get together. With the naked ear in neutral just revving the cars it sounded like the SPL was very comparable....I personally don't know which was louder. There is definitely a different "sound" to each and that is nice as we get a choice. Jer says that the exhaust gets way louder under load and upstairs. So does the Stage 2 but this would be meter time. I hesitate to say this since this is very unscientific and I could have it backwards but listening at the autocross the next day it seemed like it may be louder than the Stage 2. But I'd have to compare that sound to what I remember mine sounded like weeks earlier with a co-driver. Our memory for sound is best when we compare A/B directly and without delay. So a few weeks and a different venue might throw things off!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Stan said:
I forgot my meter but Surferjer and I compared the Lotus Stage 2 and the Quicksilver side-by-side at the Saturday get together. With the naked ear in neutral just revving the cars it sounded like the SPL was very comparable....I personally don't know which was louder. There is definitely a different "sound" to each and that is nice as we get a choice. Jer says that the exhaust gets way louder under load and upstairs. So does the Stage 2 but this would be meter time. I hesitate to say this since this is very unscientific and I could have it backwards but listening at the autocross the next day it seemed like it may be louder than the Stage 2. But I'd have to compare that sound to what I remember mine sounded like weeks earlier with a co-driver. Our memory for sound is best when we compare A/B directly and without delay. So a few weeks and a different venue might throw things off!!

so Stan, is it fair to say you cant go wrong with either one???...they both in their own unique way sound very good and a clear upgrade to stock???

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
I think they sounded similar for loudness. The comment I heard from others was that the QS sounded "throatier", but not louder. I can't define "throatier" except IMHO the QS sounds more ragged and edgier. I'm not describing it well. And I don't know how the Stage 2 sounds under load. If Stan and I were thinking, we should have swapped cars for a brief drive. Then we could have compared under load.

To me the bottom line is you can't go wrong either way. Try to get a listen and go with your preference. The only tangible difference (if you put Stage 2 on yourself, making the cost the same) is that the QS if 4 lbs lighter. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Surferjer said:
I think they sounded similar for loudness. The comment I heard from others was that the QS sounded "throatier", but necessarily louder. I can't define "throatier" except IMHO the QS sounds more ragged and edgier. I'm not describing it well. And I don't know how the Stage 2 sounds under load. If Stan and I were thinking, we should have swapped cars for a brief drive. Then we could have compared under load.

To me the bottom line is you can't go wrong either way. Try to get a listen and go with your preference. The only tangible difference (if you put Stage 2 on yourself, making the cost the same) is that the QS if 4 lbs lighter. Not a big deal.
There is one more tangible difference... you don't have to alter/cut your rear diffuser thus keeping it stock.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Glad you like yours, Andy. I really think it's a matter of preference----and I'm not sure which one I prefer. Since I could put the QS on myself with no cutting, I opted for it. But you should listen and pick based on the wonderful tune you want to hear!:)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.