The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Lotus sells the new cables as part of their GTN upgrade package. I'm curious if anyone has done this upgrade and can compare the shifter feel to a 2012 car?

Were there any other changes in the transmission between the 2011 and 2012 manuals? (Specifically the 'S').

Thanks,

Josh

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I would also like to know this as my shifting is better now after visiting the shop but if it is a vast improvement...

TIA

·
Registered
545 Posts
Im running with the second or third set and my garage offered me to get a new one shortly (on back order), all done under warranty. Keeps improving....

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
some people (cough carlos) were lucky enough to get the 2012 shifter cables on the 2011 late make cars.

Ramtin had them put in and though I haven't driven it, it seems to make the car a bit better...but his is unfair bc he got the S flywheel/clutch and removed the shift weight all at the same time haha

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Invictus is right, my car is a late 2011 model and it came with MY '12 shifter cables. For the couple of cars I have compared it to, the newer cables just seem to define the shifts a little better (i.e., less vague/wobbly). The next time I catch up with Invictus, maybe we can switch cars for a few minutes of driving and then comment again. It would basically be a '10 versus '12 shifter cable comparison.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had my shift cables changed on my 2011 at about 10,000 miles. The old cables made the shifting feel mushy and I always had to wait a split second in neutral before downshifting to a lower gear. The new cables make the shifting snappy and precise, especially on downshifts.

The old cables were fine driving around town but if the driving got aggressive, the shifter could not keep up with the car. Now, with the new cables, all is good.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Does anyone know how to tell if a late model 2011 came with a 2012 cable set or not, or what date cut-off was the changeover made?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Actually changing cables has lesser impact on shifts than generally conceived. Basically the results are twofold:
  • The new cables are lighter moving, so that gar changes seem to go easier.
  • As part of the installation the new cables have to be adjusted. This adjustment has a rather considerable impact on gear changes.
Of course you can also have the cables adjusted wothout exchange.

A further step to improving gear changes is actually having the transmission fluid exchanged and using a higher grade such as Castrol Manual TAF - X SAE 75 W 90 / API - GL 4.

WE've just gone through this on my car and the results are very good.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Takes about 30 minutes.
Remove the engine undertray and you will see the plug. The refill plug is on the side of the transmission - you will need a pump to refill. Access from above is not possible.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Actually changing cables has lesser impact on shifts than generally conceived. Basically the results are twofold:
  • The new cables are lighter moving, so that gar changes seem to go easier.
  • As part of the installation the new cables have to be adjusted. This adjustment has a rather considerable impact on gear changes.
Of course you can also have the cables adjusted wothout exchange.

A further step to improving gear changes is actually having the transmission fluid exchanged and using a higher grade such as Castrol Manual TAF - X SAE 75 W 90 / API - GL 4.

WE've just gone through this on my car and the results are very good.
I also changed out the tranny fluid about a year ago (with Red Line ShockProof lightweight) and the shifting action on my 2010 LE feels quite good these days at almost 10K miles. It's reasonably precise, even though the throws are a bit long. On inspection, the OEM fluid seemed to have some non-metallic sediment in it.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Take it for what it's worth but I was told from Lotus that ONLY MY12 Evora S have the different cables and that the normally aspirated did not need changing :shrug:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Take it for what it's worth but I was told from Lotus that ONLY MY12 Evora S have the different cables and that the normally aspirated did not need changing :shrug:
Someone was tugging your todger Abe. Both S and N/A MY12 Evora's use the same cable.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
That exactly confirms the story I got from the Lotus rep at Monterey.
The "S" model is fitted with different cables because of the changes in the flywheel and clutch in that model, and those cables are not really compatible with the set-up on a NA car.

·
Illegal Alien
4,773 Posts
That exactly confirms the story I got from the Lotus rep at Monterey.
The "S" model if fitted with different cables because of the changes in the flywheel and clutch in that model, and those cables are not really compatible with the set-up on a NA car.
???? Shifter cables have not consequence of clutch and flywheel models; both use the same transmission. The GTN parts list includes MY12 Shifter cables which are used on the NA GTN engine cars

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
???? Shifter cables have not consequence of clutch and flywheel models; both use the same transmission. The GTN parts list includes MY12 Shifter cables which are used on the NA GTN engine cars
First, I'm only reporting what I was told by a reliable source (IMO).
Secondly, although I have no interest in starting an argument, I don't agree with your comment based on my own experience. When I have upgraded flywheel and clutch on other cars (at least 2) I found a marked improvement in shifting "feel" w/o any change in the tranny. Of course, there is no geometry change in the shift linkage when you don't change the tranny, but there is a noticeable dynamic improvement in the shifting response due to the lower inertia of the upgraded clutch/flywheel.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts